20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Rosa. I feel like I have been in a tunnel and emerged blinking in the light. But it is all good. :)

I know what you mean... I have just realised that actually, I can afford to spend £30 a month on something I really want and there is no need to feel guilty about it! It's taking a loooong time to sink in that I don't HAVE to scrimp all the time.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    DIA and Rose - that must be a lovely feeling :) Being able to balance that with keeping oneself in check about going OTT must be a challenge, but there's always going to be challenges.

DIA - any movement on the roof? How are you getting on with your other goals?

Saving on travel is great - I've been saving on travel since the turn of the year as I was working at home full time for the last four months but now back into the office twice per week which is a £14p/w spend. Gah.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    DIA - any movement on the roof? How are you getting on with your other goals?

Sorry you are not saving as much on travel :(

Thank you for bringing me back down to earth. I can get quite philosophical and introspective when I should be getting on with my goals. :o Your timely post led me to call the roofer immediately and stop procrastinating. He will be doing the job on Friday and finishing on Saturday. ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • JoJoC
    Options
    Awesome! Well done on biting the bullet and calling and by the weekend you should have your roof repairs complete and a nice big tick against one of your big home care jobs. Fab!

I can't complain about the travel costs really - I've had it easy the last few months, saving a fortune but my heating bill has definitely gone up! I'll look forward to that coming down sooner rather than later :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Oh & good news on the cash.
    I may take that on board.
    I sometimes use my debit card too easily & it seems to add up all to quickly.
    Sure you will get the eye test sorted out soon.

I draw £100 cash each Thursday and that has to cover food, fuel and "anything else" - it was the only way I felt I could have a degree of flexibility.

I always ask for a receipt whenever I buy anything as I write all of my spends down in a lovely note book (mindful exercise). If I use my cards I hi-light the spend in a yellow hilter and when it has gone out of my bank account I pop a pink over it - this way I know what else has got to leave my account when I check each day and when I look back i can see IF i used my cards and what for.

I love dealing in cash lol

((hugs))

WM x
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DIA and Rose - that must be a lovely feeling :) Being able to balance that with keeping oneself in check about going OTT must be a challenge, but there's always going to be challenges.

I had my OTT moment with holidays last year and there's not many other things tempting me at present... famous last words :rotfl:
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • JoJoC
    Options
    Holidays are wonderful though, I do really hope that you enjoyed them :)

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the roofer :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Awesome! Well done on biting the bullet and calling and by the weekend you should have your roof repairs complete and a nice big tick against one of your big home care jobs. Fab!
    Thanks JoJo. I am pleased but nervous. It will be great when it is done :)
    I draw £100 cash each Thursday and that has to cover food, fuel and "anything else" - it was the only way I felt I could have a degree of flexibility.

I always ask for a receipt whenever I buy anything as I write all of my spends down in a lovely note book (mindful exercise). If I use my cards I hi-light the spend in a yellow hilter and when it has gone out of my bank account I pop a pink over it - this way I know what else has got to leave my account when I check each day and when I look back i can see IF i used my cards and what for.
    I think using cash is the way forward for me too Working Mum. It keeps me accountable and mindful :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Great news on the roofer :j :j
    I know. Now I just need not to cancel it. ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Big and small house frog goals

After making my roofers appointment, I cleaned a bookshelf and realised I need 2 new bookshelves. I think I need to remove a shelf and take it to a DIY place so they can cut me one exactly the same.

I have been stalling on planning my shop and putting in an online order. Done now and it will keep me out of the shops :)

Drab to Fab goal

After I sent back the coat I wasn’t sure about I now have a jacket. It came today. I LOVE it. I saved £50 on the price and I can’t wait to wear it :)

Health and wellbeing goal

more relaxed and pacing myself better
    have an extra day WFH
    I ate cheese so I feel sluggish and have an upset stomach :(
    I am not exercising

My surroundings are a disgrace AGAIN. So…

Cleaning/Organising

Ironing and packing away
    Washed up x6
    Cleaned 1 bookshelf and dusted books

Decluttered

A book
    Old radio cord
    3 bags of outdoor tea candles. (Had 10 years and never used!)

Quite a good day considering it took me so long to get going ;)

Hope you had a good day :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills