PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor has left a load of stuff in my friend's new house!

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're taking the michael are you Dave?:rotfl:

Let's just say it rhymes with "hunt" - just change the first letter:rotfl:.

Oh....of course ...how silly of me...." bunt"

Even today it still has the power to shock. :eek:

Well it must do, because Monty Python's Travel Agent Sketch, where it appeared in the script, but not in the broadcast, is still hard to find in uncensored form.

And now, back to the thread....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It should be a bluff because, although the seller is probably in breach of contract for not giving vacant possession, he could find himself being sued for the value of the items as I'm pretty sure he can't legally just take them to the tip after 2 days!

Sued to be countered sued seems a pointless excercise.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    OP - your friend needs to make sure he keeps that text message just in case he needs it further down the line
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Sued to be countered sued seems a pointless excercise.

Tell that to the legal profession, starting with "Judge" Rinder...

Banker, is there no way you and your friend can disassemble this junk as much as possible and dump it in one or two rooms just so this does not turn out to be a completely lost weekend (:beer:) decorating-wise? Here's looking forward to the day you can both laugh about this.

A quick google shows the safest course is for your friend to ask their solicitor to write to the seller's telling them to collect the stuff by a certain date or it will be disposed of and recompense for the cost of doing so will be sought.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    If I were the OP's friend, I would be incensed if I had received that text message and it would be no more Mr Nice Guy :mad:

If the chav's Dad can't take it all, I would leave the rest in the garden in the rain :D

I would also echo the suggestion of showing him his daughter's text message!
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Dad came round as promised. He seems a decent enough bloke.

He was very apologetic and was horrified by the text message.

He hasn't been able to arrange storage so the items are staying here in the garage for now. He offered to pay my friend for storing the items. This was declined on the basis my friend is not running a warehouse, is not insured to look after other people's belongings and would quite like his garage to be usable for his own things.

We've reached a bit of a stalemate now - Dad can't provide a solution, my friend is not inclined to contact the daughter again after the text message and the solicitors are not open until Tuesday. Dad's been told to tell his daughter that if something isn't sorted by lunchtime tomorrow the stuff is off to the dump. But I'm not sure my friend will follow through.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Banker, is there no way you and your friend can disassemble this junk as much as possible and dump it in one or two rooms just so this does not turn out to be a completely lost weekend (:beer:) decorating-wise? Here's looking forward to the day you can both laugh about this.

We could disassemble it with a sledge hammer, but I suspect that's not what you had in mind?

We've put most of it in the garage now. Unfortunately it won't all fit and we don't have enough dust sheets, so sadly a couple of things have flecks of paint on them. It's only emulsion though so I'm sure she'll be able to get it off.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't know why you are even involving the dad, poor bloke. He isn't responsible for his daughter (I assume she is an adult?)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make sure he's changed the locks, don't want her bursting in when she gets back...
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So she left more stuff than would fit into an entire garage? With just a note to say she'd move it 'next week'? Good grief.
    Has she actually taken any furniture with her at all?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport