PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor has left a load of stuff in my friend's new house!

Hello

Bit of a rant really...

My friend's just bought a new house. He completed and got the keys on Wednesday. He previously lived in a rented property which the landlord sold, so he's been staying with me for the last few weeks.

When he went to his new house on Wednesday, he found the previous owner had left a load of furniture (double bed, single bed, 2xsofas, dining room table and chairs, wardrobe and a couple of chests of drawers). There was a note saying they were sorry they hadn't had time to move it but they'd come back "next week"(!) to pick it up.

Since then there have been back and forth messages and various excuses about broken down vans and poorly children but no sign of movement.

My friend has just sent a text saying if the items are not removed by midday today, they will disposed of at her expense. So far she has not replied.

Obviously the solicitor is closed for Easter.

I guess it's not actually reasonable for us to take all the junk to the tip this afternoon?

My friend's quite upset - he'd planned to use the Easter weekend to decorate the house and move his own stuff in, he'd not planned on having to move the previous owner's stuff out!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Did they move a long way? If not rather than take it to the tip I'd just unload it in their front garden.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 March 2018 at 10:38AM
    Have you seen the recent threads on ostensibly the exact same subject?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5817767

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5815818

There was one that was exactly the same as yours but can't locate it. From memory:

You can't just take their stuff to the tip.
    You can arrange to remove it to storage
    You are legally liable for any damage caused in transit

You then get reimbursement of costs from them.

Or you could do nothing and hope they are true to their word and come collect it. Hopefully with a case of wine for your inconvenience.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Did they move a long way? If not rather than take it to the tip I'd just unload it in their front garden.

I'll suggest that. What a shame that that there's heavy rain today ;)
    dunroving wrote: »
    Have you seen the recent threads on the exact same subject?

No I haven't. I will have a look.

So, my friend's just had a phone call from someone claiming to be the seller's father. He says she's gone away for the weekend and will sort things out when she's back. My friend stood firm and said the stuff would be going to the tip this afternoon. The father said he'd try to sort something out and call us back later.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My friend's quite upset - he'd planned to use the Easter weekend to decorate the house and move his own stuff in, he'd not planned on having to move the previous owner's stuff out!
    Is there a garden? Put it there with plastic over it. It can still be collected or disposed of and he can decorate.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is there a garden? Put it there with plastic over it. It can still be collected or disposed of and he can decorate.

We've put some of it in the garage for now. Unfortunately it appears that the wardrobe has sustained some accidental damage on its way down the stairs...
  • dunroving
    Meant to add that although not the exact same situation, I have a funny feeling I may end up with "fitted" wardrobes that I don't want in my new house. They are not really fitted, but they "fit" in the alcove (freestanding; not attached to the walls or ceiling).

If that happens, I will likely just dismantle them and take them to the tip - making sure first of all that the vendor does not intend to come and get them.

Although your (sorry, your friend's) situation is much worse, there are many horror stories of moving days that go wrong. In the fullness of time, this incident will be nothing more than a brief dinner party conversation. Try to take a sanguine, long-term approach - you have (sorry, he has) the house he wanted and there is a momentary hiccup in his achievement of the housing dream.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving wrote: »
    You can't just take their stuff to the tip.
    You can arrange to remove it to storage
    You are legally liable for any damage caused in transit

Surely they can't be held liable for damage? If the owner does not want their furniture damaged then they should have moved it themselves when they were supposed to.

I also would not want the hassle of trying to find storage (and paying upfront for that!!) due to their laziness.

I'd dump it either at the tip or in their yard and tell them to go swivel.
  • dunroving
    TheBanker wrote: »
    We've put some of it in the garage for now. Unfortunately it appears that the wardrobe has sustained some accidental damage on its way down the stairs...

Which your friend now is legally liable for. Be careful not to be too cavalier about the vendor's property.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Surely they can't be held liable for damage? If the owner does not want their furniture damaged then they should have moved it themselves when they were supposed to.

I also would not want the hassle of trying to find storage (and paying upfront for that!!) due to their laziness.

I'd dump it either at the tip or in their yard and tell them to go swivel.

Sometimes the law is an !!! (hoofed mammal of the horse family). But it's still the law.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Going away for the weekend?! Somewhere nice? That would really wind me up. As would a phone call from Dad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure