I want to believe I can do this!

Options

Comments

• ftbwannabe
    Options
    There is something really motivational about paying off a credit card!! When I crawled out of hideous debt levels after my divorce I displayed my credit card statements showing their nil balance on my fridge as a motivator for paying down the rest!!

You are spending consciously and paying stuff off which is great news! You should be proud of what you have achieve as efes says you can now see the wood for the trees!
    I love that fridge idea! Totally want to do that.
    I'd be tempted to clear one off now & pay the minimum on the rest, just for the rush of it, but you know what your goals are better than me. Either way - a big achievement is close at hand!
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s a good idea about displaying your nil balance statements! I might get mine framed!! Ha ha!!:rotfl:
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    Options
    Good luck. You're debts may feel hideous but at least you've got a reasonable amount of money coming in.

I earn a reasonable amount but have never not been in debt. I think my problem is that my budgets are never 100% realistic.

E.g. when you say 'I don't know where the extra money goes' - that has always been my problem.

Anyway good luck, I'll be following in hope of inspiration.

Never not been in debt - that really resonates with me.

But our futures will be rid of debt, right?

Hope it all works out well for you.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I would clear one card then it'll give you the extra motivation to clear the next one xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • pidge04
    Options
    My credit report here shows I am still in fair but getting pretty close to GOOD! Hooray! That was a very low moment around the time of my LBM when I found out my credit score was poor. Pay day is a couple of days away and I’ll be able to go some debt clearing. At home this week too so will do some selling too.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would clear one card first and then tackle the other. Much more motivational. Re Christmas, it can be done on a budget. Just make a list of those you want to buy presents for and ideally I would stick to kids only and arrange with adults not to buy for each other.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pidge04
    Options
    I took the advice here and I have paid off one credit card.

Not too sure how I am going to get through the month but there is one debt gone.
  • ftbwannabe
    Options
    Wow, well done! How do you feel? I hope that nil statement will be going somewhere you can see it often. Update your signature for us & do a happy dance for yourself.
    I think your plan was to clear that one by making minimums on the other cards, was it? In which case don't do what I did & forget to reduce those. Wishing you a fruitful, frugal month.
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So CC3 is gone. That is one less to worry about. Well done.

Just two credit cards to go now and the loan.

Wishing you a frugal month. Don't leave yourself too short when repaying debt especially approaching Christmas. You don't want to undo your good work by spending on a card again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    Hi Pidge

I wish I was as brave as you to just do it , it must feel great

glad to see your back in the room , was starting to feel a bit concerned by the lack of posts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure