PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Options

Comments

• Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How is it going Angel_Jenny? With all this hot weather I imagine the low carb diet is possibly quite easy to maintain :) I know I am eating loads of salad as well as vegetables - unheard of for me:D

I hope you are feeling more in control of your life now and remember you deserve nice things :T

MrsSD

Low carb gave me a rash :eek: so I just started reducing portions, cutting back on snacks, and giving up sugary drinks. I lost a stone! But have just got back from an all inclusive holiday so I am starting all over again I reckon!

Thank you for checking up on me x
  • Angel_Jenny
    Options
    I definitely use my OS ways as an escape from the modern world. It has been tough lately, my father is terminally ill and so I have tended to slip into bad habits as my brain can't cope well at the moment. Meal planning, cooking, cleaning and planning have gone out of the window at the mo. But the chaos is only adding to my misery. So I need to get back on track.

My brother is terminally ill - it has a complicated impact on all areas of your life. x
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    My brother is terminally ill - it has a complicated impact on all areas of your life. x

Sorry to hear that Angel_Jenny. My thoughts are with you.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Angel_Jenny
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Angel_Jenny. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you :)

He was diagnosed when he was 5 and is now 29 but you never get used to the idea x
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    A Simple Home and Angel_Jenny, such difficult times for you both. You are both in my thoughts.

A Simple Home, perhaps start small - wash up & put away as soon as you have finished with your crockery, cutlery etc., make your bed before you leave your bedroom. Re the cleaning - it can wait & as for planning rather than plan, just make a list of what you want to do/would like to do or fancy eating. Then just pick something :D. When I get bogged down & don’t know where to start this works for me :D I love a list :rotfl:
    I wish you all the best & hope you can find something that will help you get away from the chaos :)

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Have gone very Old Style by spending 4 hours in the kitchen preparing & making one meal :rotfl:
    It was absolutely delicious & well worth all the time. Five portions - so two nights dinner for DH & DSis, one night for me & 2nd night I used up all my los, added a bit of mash & lashings of Beef & Stilton gravy.

Have also taken to doing all those minor niggling sewing repairs after each wash load, rather than just folding & putting away :rotfl:

The decluttering has slowed right down but I am still keeping the kitchen, living room and our bedroom neat & tidy :T Plus DH, DSis & I have been doing lots of work in the garden.

Angel_Jenny, how is it going?

A Simple Home, I hope you are making sense of the chaos :D & that day to day life is running more smoothly.

See you later

MrsSD

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Old style is definitely our escape from the world. Luckily over the past 18 months or so we've managed to part company with "friends" that have wholly different ideas to us and have gained a few new ones that are very similar in outlook. I know that sounds a bit harsh but I was so fed up of being judged for how I chose to spend my time/money and how we live our lives. Seeing these "friends" always made us come home angry and question ourselves but now we can be as "boring" as we want (their term, not mine). I don't need to be constantly told that I need a holiday in the sun or that I should pop along for coffee and we can go get our nails done (my idea of hell and I've no idea why people pay for this sort of thing). I enjoy trading veg growing tips, trading wine recipes, simple kitchen suppers with lovely friends and having time to enjoy our home.

DH has taken early retirement because of medical issues and we live as full a life as we want within his restrictions. We have an allotment and I've made it accessible for him to pootle around on his motorised wheels, we have a house that we both love and make a lot of sacrifices in order to keep paying the mortgage and we have hobbies. Lots of hobbies. We're not very peopley people so enjoy our days at home just doing our own thing. I enjoy cooking (I don't bake, Im not into cake and bread and I'm gluten intolerant which makes baking so much more complicated) and preserving, we make our own wines, we only ever buy second hand clothes and we play games, do jigsaws, listen to music and podcasts and just enjoy each other's company.

Our income is severely limited but we cope, I think we'd struggle to spend more if we suddenly had more and I certainly wouldn't give up my cosy homely way of life.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pooky, sounds like you have a good life there that works for you. Leave the stress merchants to their own devices and stick to your kind of people.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Have missed this thread, so I am trying to revive it :rotfl:

Pooky, you sound like a woman after my own heart :D Life is way too short to have ‘negative people’ in it.

Angel_Jenny & A Simple Home, hope all is well in your worlds :)

The only decluttering I am doing at the moment is ‘dirt & dust’ as my housework mojo has returned after a six month sojourn presumably in someone else’s house :rotfl: I have been keeping the kitchen clean & vacuuming (round the furniture :rotfl:) regularly but the last couple of days I have been cleaning windows, washing down skirting & even moved the furniture to vacuum :D

Hope I have written enough to persuade a few people back :D

MrsSD

• SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsSD, lovely to hear from you.
    My desire for a simpler life keeps getting derailed by work. We need at least another member of staff and I just can't see it happening so I'm working as much overtime as I can stand.
    But in hope I am doing a little every day. There are leeks in the garden ready to overwinter and I have a freezer full of fruit ready for a serious jam making session.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family