The Great ‘Store Returns Policy’ Hunt. Who, what, where and when?

Options

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I used to work for next and the returns policy is very fair, although you always get people trying to take the mick.
    I had a lady try and return a pair of white plimsoles that were all yellow and stank of wee, she told me the stitching had come away at the side and she wanted a new pair:rotfl:
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Store/Chain Name:

Boots

Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this allowed:

Yes! Boots returns policy (per the back of the receipt) states:-

"Please keep this receipt...
    ...and we'll happily give you an exchange, giftcard or refund if you change your mind. Without a receipt, we'll give you an exchange. There are some exceptions and we'll always make these clear. For the safety of all our customers we can't accept returned medicines, cosmetics or foods, unless faulty. This does not affect your statutory rights."

Does it offer a full refund or credit note?

See above.

Did you need to have your receipt/a copy of the credit-card statement?

See above. I've never had to produce a credit card statement as evidence in Boots.

Is there any time limit? Is it seasonal?

Not in my experience. I know people who've returned stuff nearly 2 years later for an exchange!

Be careful when returning sale items with no receipt. In the sales, prices can be reduced by up to 90% off, and you'll only be allowed an exchange at the current selling price. So keep your receipt!

Are you a customer or employee/former employee?

Customer

Anything else people should know...

If unsure, phone up Boots Customer Care (Tel no. on back of receipt) and if possible get a reference number and their name as ammunition for when you go into the store.

Some of the old dragons on the tills can be a pain when you're returning stuff. Saturday staff can be great for accepting returns.

According to Boots Customer Care, "skincare" is classed as a "beauty product" and NOT "cosmetics" and is therefore suitable for return if you change your mind.

Boots will generally accept returns of cosmetics or other toiletries where you've had an allergic or other reaction to the product.

It's sometimes in your favour to return goods without a receipt if you only want an exchange. For items on automatic "xx% off" deductions, when returned, the till will not deduct the promotional discount and you'll end up in profit. Obviously, if you show your original receipt the cashier will adjust the exchange amount to the amount you actually paid. ;)

Any other queries, a good place to ask would be the Boots thread on the Grabbit board.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to work for next and the returns policy is very fair, although you always get people trying to take the mick.
    I had a lady try and return a pair of white plimsoles that were all yellow and stank of wee, she told me the stitching had come away at the side and she wanted a new pair:rotfl:
    I should point out - that wasn't me returning the shoes after 3 months.

Different shop, I assure you!:D :D
  • aberdour
    Options
    Store/Chain Name: Office (shoe shop)

Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this allowed? Nope, as I discovered last week when I changed my mind about boots. They will only give store credit...not much use when you don't see another pair you like.

Does it offer a full refund or credit note? You only get a refund if the goods are faulty; credit note if you change your mind.

Did you need to have your receipt/a copy of the credit-card statement? Yes

Is there any time limit? Is it seasonal? 28 days

Are you a customer or employee/former employee? customer

Anything else people should know... I was really surprised I couldn't get my money back as this has never happened to me before. When I asked the manager for the reasoning behind this policy I was told "well we get to keep your money this way, don't we?" Make of that what you will. I certainly wont be shopping there again.
  • funky04
    funky04 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    ..... NS2 & La Chic Clothing boutiques

exchange or credit note only.......even if you have the receipt and if within 28 days..

no cash/credit card refunds allowed
  • YAZZA_3
    YAZZA_3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    SPANIEL36 wrote: »
    i got a refund last week but items were faulty. i bought 2 pairs of barbie boots for my girls for winter, they had only worn them one day and the sole was coming away. They tried to give me the speil about no refunds and i simply told them that the goods were not fit for the purposse in which they were bought and i did not want another pair, so they give me a refund

Because your goods was faulty you are entitled to a refund but if GeedIsGood products weren't then he is not entitled to one even though he wasn't informed before purchasing.
  • YAZZA_3
    YAZZA_3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    susanb1066 wrote: »
    If thats the case, its against your rights. If you have proof you paid a certain amount for something then they HAVE to give you that money back the method you paid. Take GAP for example, they may not still do this as it used to be hush hush, but if you bought something from them and it went in the sale, then providing you have your receipt and its within the 30 days they will refund you the difference.

Technically they do not have to, only for faulty items.
  • Reese_2
    Reese_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone up to date on the Aldi policy. I need to return something but I've had it over 30 days - what are my chances on getting a refund?
    Cheers.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Reese wrote: »
    Anyone up to date on the Aldi policy. I need to return something but I've had it over 30 days - what are my chances on getting a refund?
    Cheers.

Have you got your receipt? Was it electrical? If you have just changed your mind you stand little chance apart from goodwill.,unless its faulty etc
  • Reese_2
    Reese_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I still have my receipt and yes it was electrical. It was bought as a gift for OH but spec was not up too much apparently! Not much chance of a refund then.
    Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport