The Great ‘Store Returns Policy’ Hunt. Who, what, where and when?

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    YAZZA wrote: »
    I work in retail and the refund procedure is not that simple. A credit card statement only shows that a customer has brought one or more item for that amount but it doesn't show what. So I think that statements shouldn't be used as a proof of purchase as some customers take advantage of the system.

Why should retailers accept statement just because customers have lost their receipts?? (for non-faulty goods).

Yet According to Jada (sorry Jada nothing personal), if you say you have lost your receipt you can get gift vouchers-NO proof of purchase whatsoever!! Having no receipt doesnt show you bought ANYTHING-so explain that. or see my simple explaination below.
  • Jada
    Jada Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote:
    Mother Teresa comes into her shop-she returns a dressing gown she paid £20 Sor.Unfortunately the only "crime " she has commited is losing her receipt.It was the only thing she bought in La Senza,but luckily she has her Bank Statement which shows £20 paid in La Senza.Now, she knows her consumer rights-so knows legally that she is not entitled to anything back (silly her,she should not have lost her receipt),but as she knows La Senza pretty sensible about things.However-she shows her statement,with clear evidence of who she is-imagine her surprise to be refused a refund.

She is even more surprised when Wynona Rider walks into the shop with a £70 dressing gown.She tells the staff she has lost the receipt. The staff happily give her gift vouchers-which she then sells on Ebay.

Sorry, I don't know what this has to do with anything? This debate is getting very weird!!!!

:staradmin Jada :staradmin
    £3,500 @ 0% with Bank of Scotland - pay off before 05/02/10
    :staradmin£700 @ 3.9% with M&S - pay off whenever as the rate's for life :staradmin
  • Jada
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Yet According to Jada (sorry Jada nothing personal), if you say you have lost your receipt you can get gift vouchers? Having no receipt doesnt show you bought ANYTHING-so explain that. or see my simple explaination below.

It means that money is not leaving the business either, hence the company is, more than likely, not making a loss. And people coming in without a receipt usually do so because the item was a gift, hence they're not expected to have the receipt but can, out of goodwill (it's not by law), exchange or get gift vouchers for the current selling value of the item.

:staradmin£700 @ 3.9% with M&S - pay off whenever as the rate's for life :staradmin
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the item was stolen-the company are making a loss- I give up.

People who come in without a receipt and say it was a gift are very common-you are very naaive.-yet-you turn away the person with the bank statement-incredible.

Its worrying you dont understand the point i am making.,but I am not at all surprised.Its like banging your head against a brick wall.Making up random rules eg re bank statements-yet hand out gift vouchers to prospective thieves (a deal which your company offers as an extra!).If your company can be this trusting-you can with a bank statement,you nugget.My last post.
    Is it any wonder customers have to contact the Head Office to get any sense?
  • Jada
    Options
    If the item was stolen-the company are making a loss- I give up.

People who come in without a receipt and say it was a gift are very common-you are very naaive.-yet-you turn away the person with the bank statement-incredible.

Its worrying you dont understand the point i am making.,but I am not at all surprised.Its like banging your head against a brick wall.Making up random rules eg re bank statements-yet hand out gift vouchers to prospective thieves (a deal which your company offers as an extra!).If your company can be this trusting-you can with a bank statement,you nugget.My last post.
    Is it any wonder customers have to contact the Head Office to get any sense?

Classy hollydays, classy.

Enjoy your future shopping experiences, the best of luck to you :p

• YAZZA_3
    YAZZA_3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Yet According to Jada (sorry Jada nothing personal), if you say you have lost your receipt you can get gift vouchers-NO proof of purchase whatsoever!! Having no receipt doesnt show you bought ANYTHING-so explain that. or see my simple explaination below.

I totally get your points. Where I work, only certain staff are allowed to do refund which I think is a good idea as it means staff can spot any regular customers who keep returning items and without receipts.
    I noticed a customer who kept coming into the store and returning items without receipts, after while I got fed up as IMO she was either taking advantage of the policy or that it was stolen. So I told her that this is the last time that I will allow her to do a return/exchange without a receipt and that it's not on bringing items without receipt as it's suspicious.

I don't know many shops that give gift vouchers out without receipts. It's more liekly to be an excange or a credit note.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to applaud John Lewis (my favourite shop) :j I had to return a duvet after a year, as the down was escaping from the downproof cover. They collected it from my home to take back for inspection, a few days later they rang me to ask if I would like a replacement, I did, because apart from the problem, it is the best duvet ever. They do have good customer service.

Most stores are really good at returns and we should be grateful that they also allow returns out of goodwill and not just because they are faulty, but you will always get those who take advantage of this, I think if it happens too much, the stores will crack down and it will be spoiled for all of us.

Anyone have experience of returns to Amazon.com?
  • ian_duncan_smith
    Options
    I have a great-uncle that is senile. He thinks that I'm my father and that I'm still only a child (a toddler in fact). He always remembers to ring ahead and ask where we would like him to purchase this years Christmas/Eid/Birthday/etc
    pressie from. Despite asking him to send the receipts he never does as he thinks it "rude" to let people know how much you've spent on them for a pressie.
    I always have to go around shops asking what their refund and exchange policy is for returning goods without proof of purchase, so I can tell him which shops to avoid.
  • Fullspizz
    Options
    Hi,
    Does anybody know what PC World's ruling on returns is.
    Wife bought me a laptop last friday and a couple of the keys had fell off by the time it had reached home.
    Also, it's not quite up to the spec I require.
    I would like to return it for a refund if possible.
  • purpleygirl
    Options
    Very disappointing - they do not accept returns even though the item they sold me was faulty. They were not willing to give me a credit note and 'as a gesture of goodwill' I was allowed to exchange it for another item. I have since written to their head office about it and needless to say have not received an acknowledgment or response of any kind. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure