Looking for the credit card for me

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
7 replies 996 views
Kgraham1996Kgraham1996 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hey I have just got a contract phone and am looking to get a credit card to build my credit score, all I want the card for is to pay this bill every month then I will pay the money back a few weeks later, I really know nothing about credit cards and am afraid I’ll choose the wrong one, any help with this would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Replies

• NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Credit Cards’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You're not working to improve your score or rating.

You're working to improve your credit history and credit file.

Take a credit card and use it for your everyday purchases and pay it back in full after every statement every month. Set up a direct debit to help with this.

Don't pay it back "a few weeks later".
    Pay it back following the statement and before the payment deadline - as mentioned above a direct debit will accomplish this.
  • Jlawson118Jlawson118 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Usually Aqua Cards are known to be one of the best as first time credit cards for people with either bad credit history, or small/no credit history to help build the score.

They'll start you off with a very small limit and if they see you can manage that very well, they'll increase it and build you up from there.

There's other providers out there but Aqua is the only one I can think of from the top of my head. I know a few years ago when I was first starting out, they gave me a limit of £300 in which I was just making small purchases each week, and paying it off in full, and within 3/4 months they increased my limit to £1000.
  • BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    There's other providers out there but Aqua is the only one I can think of from the top of my head. I know a few years ago when I was first starting out, they gave me a limit of £300 in which I was just making small purchases each week, and paying it off in full, and within 3/4 months they increased my limit to £1000.

Just the way to encourage you to spend more than you can afford....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Not if used properly and you make your everyday purchases on it and pay it back in full at each statement
  • DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it's your first credit card you may be limited to which one you can get without knowing what else is in your credit history.

Use the eligibility checker to see if/what cards may be available to you.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/
    (it's not a guarantee but will give you an idea of things)

Once you have built up some history and show yourself to be responsible with credit you may be able to go for one that offers rewards/cashback etc.

Post your results back here if you like - there are some that appear easier to obtain that others and it may be helpful before doing a hard search.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides