Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,617 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Friday xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You too Beanie. Happy Friday and have a great weekend x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks all.. more items sold so a few more quid towards the national debt.

Looking forward to the weekend :) although GCSEs start in earnest for DD2 next week so may be in top support mode. Baking cakes is always a good start I think!

Brizzle x

Good luck to DD2! Cakes are definitely a good idea! Hot choc with whipped cream and marshmallows always went down well here - assuming the weather wasn't hot!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oooh.....exam season. DD2 taking 'finals' here. Hmmm not like remember but I guess its the modern way!!( talking 'open book' 48 hour exam - get title and 2 days to submit response on line. ) "Mums fish pie" has been requested to share with housemates whilst they work on this!!

Good luck to DD - soon be over! My DD2 has vowed she will NEVER take another exam :D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 12 May 2019 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Loving the sunny weather although DD2 is indoors. Working on Science at the moment as exams on those this week. 4 papers in total.

Am feeling nervous and protective on her behalf, but she should be fine. The main thing is that she has worked, several of her friends apparently haven’t, so at least she’s giving herself a chance.

Had a good chat with OH this weekend about lots of things, over a cheap but excellent brunch. Trying to get into deeper conversations without necessarily having a MSE or particular agenda. On the MSE front we have agreed that keeping the current account at a low balance helps us resist spending money so we are going to keep it that way. Hoping for some freelance money soon to help defray some spends. I also havent managed to start my accounts but a job for next week.

Have a lovely Sunday all

X
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope DDs exams go well x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Thanks jwil. First one down. Didn't go brilliantly, but could have been worse and she's in a calm place.

Hens laying eggs but one is broody. Such a blooming waste as it really puts them all off :( Garden looking beautiful though. It was so worth the money we spent on getting it nice a few years ago. Sitting out there is such a tonic for the soul.

Waiting for some additional income from freelance work and from the solar panels. Can't wait really - very keen to get the next lump paid off on the spreadsheet! All very tense as I count down the hours before pay day :rotfl: but should be able to do a big investment push and pay off some more of the CC by end of the week.

Must go for a run tomorrow. Maybe first thing before I chicken out!!!!

Have a good evening all x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hope day 2 has gone ok (science today?) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,495 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope all goes well with DDs exams xx

I love sitting in my garden, it's taken many years of hard work but we're getting there. Wish it was half the size though - 100ft long - too big for us really :eek:
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 25 May 2019 at 6:39PM
    Options
    Thanks, yes it was science on Tuesday and now another Science subject tomorrow..Chemistry which she finds pretty hard. OH is a bit of a genius on Science and Maths and even he says it hard work. They are working through past papers now. I am not sure how well she will do as she finds it super hard but I will not fault her attitude or the fact that she's trying.

A 100 ft long garden!!! Wow! Do you grow veggies? Sounds lush. Ours is a shoebox at the back of a late Victorian terrace. Its got chooks and a pond tho so we cram it all in :D the sundowner terrace and the large table for eating at are some of the best bits. We have eaten dinner outside every day this week which I love, love, love.

So in MSE events.

OH got paid more than I expected which is always a nice surprise. Still waiting on some FL work and on a double payment for the panels. I have fingers and toes crossed for a decent amount. Mammoth shuffle today with lots going towards investments and the EF. Its a bit of a relief really to see those grow and the pressure taken off the current account a bit when the inevitable happens. The vehicles for example are costing us a lot at the moment and we have just given DD1 a bit of a cash boost as she is low on funds..it all mounts up but its good to know that every pound has a job and we can just about manage even if we are madly shifting money in and out of various accounts as the current account gets super low and the messages come in that we are about to go into the red..

I have been reading a very nicely written blog called The Traumatized Budget (Am. so excuse the spelling ;)) but it reminds me again of the importance of saving, growing an EF even if its starts small. Thats what we are doing. The sums going across each month to the investments, EF and the debt dwarf our mortgage for example which is not small. and we have been doing this since Christmas so it is almost becoming business as usual :D Its hard work and takes a lot of time but its a really energy boosting feeling and keeps me working to the grand plan. As does the spreadsheet - it makes a huge difference seeing the granular change. Am gob smacked that I didn't do this earlier..years ago. I missed a sitter there :(:angry:

Also in good news the holiday accommodation in August will be paid in June. Its a great feeling that it won't be on the credit card.

Think that's it. Over and out all

Brizzle xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport