Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Basically at the heart of it is that we both earn good money, but spend too much....so spending less has to be the way to go. I need to be the frugalista it says in my diary title :o
    :

I hear you on that brizzle. I have the same problem......:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Beanie. Yes it just doesn’t feel right for us at the moment.

Thanks for popping by Debs... glad you’re plugging away at it all...we will all get there one day and we can throw a huge party :beer:

SSG...I have to own this. It’s all about me being weak and loving spending money I haven’t got! Just coming home from a great night in the big smoke. Frugal in that we are heading home and not stopping at a cheap hotel. Long old train ride but worth it, booked via TCB and used a rail card which cost us £30 but saved us £40 in the first usage. Result :j OH found it, dead glad he did.

Saving some money this weekend by using vouchers to pay for a meal for PIL and also OH will be starting his extra work. It all helps. I must also do some Christmas planning so that I don’t panic and leave it to the last minute and then throw money at the situation....maybe I will put in a diary reminder so it happens..

Over and out, have a great weekend all x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 12 November 2018 at 2:17PM
    Options
    It was great beanie - thank you. Finally got around to all going out to a musical for PIL's Christmas present (that's last year btw :o ) and it was lovely. Didn't realise that Trose doesn't do big catering meal deals (unless you advance order) so we did a side step and cooked up 2 yellow stickered organic chickens and we roasted them with mash and salad as sides. Yum and that and a top up shop was only £34 after using my vouchers - result. Also did a class and watched some TV last night. Definitely helped me sleep well although I will pay for it tomorrow as it was hard work. The new routine for work so far is definitely calmer but we shall see...there is more travelling from next week but so far all starting at civilised times.

And in other news...sent off the company accounts to the new accountant (and remarkably on the date I said I would!!) ...woot!!! :j Big milestone so that hopefully soon I will get a handle on the likely damage. Am using TCB for various necessary spends so hope I can get another £15 for so next month. Still haven't got my head around Christmas yet...but will get there. Will put a recurring appointment in the diary now...(see above :rotfl:)
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 12 November 2018 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Hello again..

I managed to run some reports and so update my signature :D (over lunch which I don't normally manage, but I did and was very virtuous with my use ups from the fridge). The 32% is not shabby at all..just wish a significant part of it wasn't going to pay down the debt pile, but does show me that we are starting to stay within budget. I do think the Barefoot Investor format is working for us.

I was just looking at the first post on this diary also and think that we should be aiming for £22,000 by September 2019 and £40,000 in the S&S ISA by September 2022 - so around 4 years from now - this will be despite DD1 needing a contribution for university etc. And.. of course..no bloody car or other debt. Such a curse.

Off to make dinner for the kids now. Were invited out but have bit the bullet and am cooking, especially as kids are here there and everywhere..it makes sense. What did Mrs ONL's thread call it..mindful lifestyle deflation..like that.

Have a good evening folks x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Love the term mindful lifestyle deflation - have never heard of that before :) - perfect!

32% - fab stuff - really! :T :J x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • beanielou
    Options
    Good news on the accounts to the accountant :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Well done from me as well on the 32%! Here's to ongoing mindful lifestyle deflation!:)

P.S I have subscribed to Barefoot Investor newsletter - sounds very useful.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Thanks lovely ladies...so good of you to pop by. Having an optimism attack so onwards and upwards :)
  • beanielou
    Options
    Thanks lovely ladies...so good of you to pop by. Having an optimism attack so onwards and upwards :)

:j :j :j :A

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback