Options
1235»

Comments

• Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pdbaggett wrote: »
    Because of this he made her sign a legal document to say if they break up he owns all the house ect( whether this would stand up in court is besides the point) anyway he was always adamant its his house and she doesn't pay anything towards it to not complicate things in a legal sense[/B] I.e the mortgage.

He did however, agree at the time to take £200 a month from her to cover other bills and he still does. Not the problem being I spoke to him the other day and he's struggling with money as most new home owners do due to outlay and maintenance costs his house also needs a new roof ect. His partner isn't helping at all with the cost of the house I.e roof ect and in my opinion isn't even covering her own living with £200 a month. He buys all the food and everything she pays £200 to him and that's it.

Do people think this is fair, neither are high earners he gets about £600 more a month in that region than her and she will be on about £1200 give or take. Essentially meaning he has no spare money pays for everything and she has over £1000 disposable income a month.

At the start when he wouldn't add her to the mortgage I thought it was quite mean as they had been together for a few years but at this point I think she's just taking advantage a bit and could definetly offer to help more regardless of a stake in the mortgage or not.

I think this is a case of your friend is now reaping what he has sown.

You say he has been with the girlfriend a few years, but went ahead with the decision to buy on his own, and doesn't want her to have any stake in the house she is living in. Seems the opposite of what most couples do as a relationship matures, so I can imagine how his girlfriend felt about that.

He bought a house, large enough to house 2 people, but actually now has the realisation he can't afford the upkeep of it. That's his problem.

Why should she fork out hundreds (?) to fix his roof, and then he could end the relationship the following week.

I think it's your friend who is being selfish. I don't blame the girlfriend in not offering more than the £200 they agreed to in the beginning. He made it obvious from the start that he doesn't view the relationship important for them to 'make it together' in buying a house.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Remember this should only be for contents insurance.

My policy covers everyone else in my residence - even lodgers.

OP if your friend won't do anything about the gf, what about learning how to budget so he isn't caught out by expensive repairs/replacements?

As a homeowner, it can be easy to forget your property is going to need rewired, have its roof repaired/replaced, require a new bathroom or kitchen every x years because its not an everday expense. If he can get rough estimates of what those would cost and an idea of how often they'd need to be done, he can work out how much he'll need to save every week to meet those costs. He should also do that for furniture/appliances if he doesn't already.

Once he has done this, you may find he's more willing to re-negotiate his partners contribution.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    My policy covers everyone else in my residence - even lodgers.

I think the point being made was the girlfriend should pay 50% of the contents insurance but nothing towards the building insurance.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the point being made was the girlfriend should pay 50% of the contents insurance but nothing towards the building insurance.

I think it was pretty obvious what he meant. GF has no interest in the building so cannot insure for it (and it would be unfair to ask her to contribute to it).

But as for the contents, the gf may not own 50% of the contents (she may own nothing other than her clothes and a few personal belongings), may have her own insurance or may prefer not to obtain contents insurance (you can't force someone to insure their contents).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure