Friend splitting costs with partner

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2018 at 5:44PM
    Options
    50/50 split on bills = £200, seems to be about right and sounds fair.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Just had a thought - is this going to be a future MMD?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just had a thought - is this going to be a future MMD?
    Maybe... :D
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It sounds like a MMD with more information than usual thrown in.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    She has won a watch!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I reckon he needs to add up the (non mortgage) bills and divide in half. I know some people might think that £400 a month would do it but , for us it's more like double that (rates+gas+electric+insurance+tv/phone internet+food).
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The "legal document" your friend had his partner sign, has no actual legal standing. It is her address and has been for however long she has lived there, therefore she is, in law, legally domiciled there. They have been cohabiting at that address for the same period. However much or little that she contributes, has no bearing upon the situation.

How long has your friend owned the house and paid the mortgage? I suspect that the roof and other repair/maintenance issues, could have been spotted by paying for a good Survey at the time of buying the property. That is a mistake many people make.

Btw, if you mean to say "etcetera" the abreviation is "etc" and not "ect".

I think it was blatantly obvious I'm aware of the legal standing of what he made her sign from my post already......
  • Pdbaggett
    Options
    I reckon he needs to add up the (non mortgage) bills and divide in half. I know some people might think that £400 a month would do it but , for us it's more like double that (rates+gas+electric+insurance+tv/phone internet+food).

Agreed £100 a week certainly would not cover my bills including food shopping.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The "legal document" your friend had his partner sign, has no actual legal standing.
    Though it could serve as clear evidence that both parties understood from the outset there was no intent to create a beneficial interest for her in the property.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pdbaggett
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether you or any posters think it's fair or not fair.

He set the £200 per month.
    He doesn't want his partner to have any stake in the house.
    He's (presumably) not complaining about the situation.
    You're not going to do anything about the situation.

It sounds like a MMD with more information than usual thrown in.

Yes, shocking isn't it someone taking an interest in someone else's life whilst not really envisaging doing anything about it. Its almost like we don't have newspapers doing the exact thing or reality TV or shock horror people having a gossip about other people who are not immediately them selves :eek:
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed £100 a week certainly would not cover my bills including food shopping.
    So that would be over £800 a month for both? I agree that £400 isn't a lot, but £800 is quite high. Of course, that depends what is included. Things like expensive broadband packages, sky, alcohol, meat every day etc... are not essential things and possibly something that the other party wouldn't have otherwise.

Really there is no right or wrong but they should be committed enough to be able to have a conversation and come to an agreement if their relationship is solid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure