PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse

Options
123457»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a basis for an interesting discussion. :)
    (Bit in bold) - could surely also apply to a situation with a noisy neighbour, eg loud music or a barking dog etc, that is also beyond everyones control except for - um - said noisy neighbour or dog, but still does have to be declared on the TA6? (Although I know that's a different question.) I believe there may have been at least one successful lawsuit whereby a buyer has based their case on the undeclared noise or nuisance that the vendor *must* have been aware of but had deliberately withheld?
    I think complaints about a noisy neighbour/continually barking dog/very antisocial teenagers congregating outside resulting in police/local authority action is in an entirely different category from the short thrum of a vehicle passing over a cattle grid, especially when there is much noise already from a trunk road.

There's no harm IMO in asking the local authority if it's possible to reduce the noise. That's an enquiry, not about another property, but a simple question about a piece of street furniture.;)

Of course, Highways budgets are much constrained. When we 'enquired' about the huge puddle of standing water outside our property we had to keep 'enquiring' for 4 years before action was taken. That's what the council surveyor told us to do: "You have to become the biggest pain in the a___ to get to the top of the list!"

So, according to locals, after two decades, our standing water vanished when the council discovered they'd tarmacked-over two of their own drains. :rotfl:

If we'd sold during those 4 years of 'advising' the council, I doubt very much if we'd have linked that to 3.1 on the TA6 at all. It was just an irritation that didn't bother us that much, compared with other matters which we would have listed....carefully worded!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sell it and buy something else, or just rent for a while to get used to areas, the stress doesn`t sound worth it to me.
  • scriv
    scriv Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I live near the main line trainline to London and got used to it very quickly and don't hear it anymore after being very aware of it at first. Do give it a chance.

I tend to have a disturbed sleep at Christmas time though when the trains aren't running as it is so unbelievably quiet!!
  • PositivelyPerturbed
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments and stories, I am feeling much better, and decidedly more positive this week. Not quite used to it yet but definitely becoming more bearable!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure