PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband and I scrimped and saved to buy our first house. We had no help from anyone and we have rented and lived in many hovels and dumps over the years. We moved to a much cheaper area and bought a fixed upper. We got it for a decent price

Then look at the positives. You own this property. It's your home. You are now on the first rungs of the property ladder. Scrimp and save to pay down the mortgage as quickly as you able. Then you'll create an opportunity to move on.

Is it possible to sleep at the front of the house? The difference in sound can be quite noticable between the back and front.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I agree with those saying you’ll get used to it. I’m on a rat run so quiet except for a couple of hours each side of the day. The morning noise drove me mad at first. When the road was recently blocked for emergency work so zero traffic I didn’t even notice!
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    You could rent it out and go and rent somewhere else, you still own 1 property as a result. No financial error would be made this way. Or if you can do it up and sell it.

I find neighbour noise the worst myself.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a simple practical suggestion.

Try a different bedroom (sorry if it's a 1 bedroom house)

You may have chosen the bedroom you are using because it is the largest, or has the best view, or gets the morning sun. But if there is an alternative bedroom on the other side of the house not facing the road, you may find that a whole lot better.

I lived the first 23 years of my life on a busy road with a front bedroom facing the road. When my older sister moved out to go to college, I was able to swap to the back bedroom away from the road and things were a whole lot better.
  • Baby_Angel
    Baby_Angel Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My OH snores loudly even when he doesn't drink. No moving is going to help. I got used to it about 22 years ago. It always takes a few weeks to get used to it. Like others have said you will not notice it later.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There is certainly an aspect of being in a new house making lots of things sound strange or irritating and you often get used to them in time, but I don't think that you are in any way being "over-sensitive and daft".

I would suggest that before deciding on anything potentially expensive like extra glazing give yourself some time to adjust. There is the possibility that with the sort of noise you are witnessing is not going to be resolved by those measures as it could be coming through the ground and walls. It might also be worth investigating whether the council have a policy on the cattle grids, they may be just noisy or they might need some servicing that may make them more quiet.

Oh, and for everyone saying "you'll get used to the sound": I lived for over 25 years within earshot of a major motorway when the wind was in the right direction and I absolutely never got used to it.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was actually the other way round. I used to live on a very busy London main artery. Buses - emergency vehicles all night - drunks on their way home from the pub. And the gates to the car park were right next to my flat!

I moved down by the sea to a gated estate where, literally, it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop. Well at leat until thef seagulls get up in the morning.

Took me a week or two to get used to it. As others have said I am sure you will, too.
  • SuperMoose
    SuperMoose Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Baby_Angel wrote: »
    My OH snores loudly even when he doesn't drink. No moving is going to help. I got used to it about 22 years ago. It always takes a few weeks to get used to it. Like others have said you will not notice it later.

It will if only one of you moves :rotfl:
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Until recently I lived very happily on a boat under the Heathrow flight path. The first night I was woken at 4.30 by the first morning flight. Thought the aliens were landing on the boat it was so loud. After a short period, I just slept through it. Like other people have said, you tune stuff out.
    And worst case scenario, if you don't, you could look at different glazing options for your bedroom. My closest friend works in acoustics - there are lots of options!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    There may be options of treating the noise at source, such as reinstalling the grid with rubber pads between the grid rungs and the base, or putting a speed restriction in place (noise increases with vehicle speed). Another possibility is an acoustic barrier between the grid and your house.

If this is a council grid (eg if the road is passing into a common with free-roaming livestock) then the council may, if the grid noise is deemed to be a noise nuisance, pay for glazing upgrades or acoustic barrier, eg. (Powys Council).

Especially at night, some masking noise from a noise generator may help sleeping.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure