PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse

Options

Comments

• victoriavictorious
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That's a great catch-all isn't it?

My council has an internet reporting system for its roads. Last night, I reported a tree in a private garden which is overhanging at a junction and blocking a driver's view of the major road.

Assuming the council act on this and the owner puts their house on the market, say in May, would they need to declare that?

No, it's not the same situation because a neighbour's tree that overhangs a junction wouldn't affect a future buyer's enjoyment of the house or cause them distress.
    However, OP is feeling distressed by the cattle grid noise, so it seems reasonable to assume that a future buyer might feel likewise if it didn't get resolved....
    I have no idea whether it would need to be reported or not; it was just a question that occurred to me.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I also live on along the A470 corridor and was wondering the same thing

From that description I think I know your street, I had a number of driving lessons around there and live a few miles away, am I right in assuming there is a very nice steak restaurant attached to a pub at the end of your street and you are just a five minute walk from town centre and a two minute walk from a beautiful park? If I am, small world, if I'm not then there is another street that exactly matches your description, down to every last detail.
    Yes, that is my street. Forgot about the amazing park with the outdoor lido - and the incredible Steakhouse (I absolutely love the Steakhouse chips!!). We live five doors down from the beginning of the street (right by the slip road with the offending cattle grid)! I have seen the learner drivers outside a few times. Small world indeed.

I know where you live & yes you do live not far from me lol
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    ...further to that, no the cattle grid itself doesn't affect the property, but the noise generated from it affects the person living in it from enjoying the property.
    Just like a neighbour's trombone/revving motorbike at 2am itself doesn't affect the neighbouring property, but the noise prevents enjoyment of it.
    I guess like many things, it's open to interpretation.
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is easy to be overwhelmed. I, too, cried when we got the keys to our house and the problems seemed to just keep coming.
    All I can say is that we did it up, lived there for 12 years and soon did not really notice the problems (or fixed it), moved on and now live in the country with no mortgage. Oh, and the noise from the road still drives me nuts - sometimes - but then I need to remind myself about the large garden, lovely neighbours, thriving social life and lovely village. It is not really a busy road most of the day.
    It WILL get better - honest!
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
  • a_silver_lining
    Options
    The first day in my new flat I sat and cried on the floor as all I could hear was kids screaming. I sobbed and sobbed. I had researched and visited numerous times and believed all the flat to be one bedroom. Turns out next door has a sneaky side extension.

I bought a radio and turned the TV up each night. I also filled the flat with furniture over time, which helped to buffer some sound. Now I survive it, and sometimes am not bothered.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Mexas
    Mexas Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    The first house i bought was about 100 yards from the A580 in Salford. I'll be honest, the first night I actually lay in bed and cried as the traffic noise was horrendous until about 11pm! It took about a month to get used to it. Lived there happily for 4 years.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, it's not the same situation because a neighbour's tree that overhangs a junction wouldn't affect a future buyer's enjoyment of the house or cause them distress.

I have no idea whether it would need to be reported or not; it was just a question that occurred to me.

It's a good question

3.1 doesn't specifically ask about distress or annoyances though. Because it's so broad, I think it's interpretation is easy to misconstrue and later claim innocence.

Also, a buyer could not claim that the noise had been hidden during their inspection or other visits to the area, like a physical fault might be, as the use of the grid is beyond anyone's control.

Lastly, data protection protocols mean that only a legally entitled person with good reason would ever discover whether an 'enquiry' about the grid had been made. I sincerely doubt that a mis-selling court case would ever based on something like this.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you're right about me adjusting to the noise - my earplugs aren't even helping and I feel tired and fed up. On top of that, our puppy is being the devil incarnate, bless him. Why is house buying so bloody horrendous in this country?!
    I can’t see how this problem relates to house buying in the U.K. in other countries do they relocate cattle grids when someone new moves in?
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm with Davesnave here, I doubt it would be notifiable, after all, the only thing the OP would be doing is letting the council know that some of its street furniture is defective. If it were a manhole cover than was clanging as people drove over it, I wouldn't declare that I'd mentioned that either. However, IANAL so I guess it is a bit of a judgement call.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • victoriavictorious
    victoriavictorious Posts: 358 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's a good question

3.1 doesn't specifically ask about distress or annoyances though. Because it's so broad, I think it's interpretation is easy to misconstrue and later claim innocence.

Also, a buyer could not claim that the noise had been hidden during their inspection or other visits to the area, like a physical fault might be, as the use of the grid is beyond anyone's control.

Lastly, data protection protocols mean that only a legally entitled person with good reason would ever discover whether an 'enquiry' about the grid had been made. I sincerely doubt that a mis-selling court case would ever based on something like this.
    It's a basis for an interesting discussion. :)
    (Bit in bold) - could surely also apply to a situation with a noisy neighbour, eg loud music or a barking dog etc, that is also beyond everyones control except for - um - said noisy neighbour or dog, but still does have to be declared on the TA6? (Although I know that's a different question.) I believe there may have been at least one successful lawsuit whereby a buyer has based their case on the undeclared noise or nuisance that the vendor *must* have been aware of but had deliberately withheld?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure