Is this a polite rejection

Options

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look, I'm really not sure what you're expecting. It's not a firm 'no', it's a 'not yet' which is surely better than a no. However from your perspective you need to treat it as a no, continue to look for other roles and expect that you'll never hear from them again. If they contact you in the future it's a bonus.

I agree with Detroit, I think he sounds irritated and you should have stopped after the first email. It's a fine line between sounding interested and being irritating, knowing this will come with experience.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Companies can not take you on unpaid - they have to pay the national minimum wage. So you offering to work for free it not helping your chances in any way.

Aside from that, if you do not value your time, why should anyone else?

I once had someone ask if they could work for free for me. At the time, I needed some help so it came at the right time (I paid them a legal wage) but as it happened it did not work out. My advice would be to stop asking to work for free.

As for the reply, who knows what they mean. Chances are they are being polite. You have had some tenacity and followed it up which is nice and I am sure in theory they would keep your details on file. But that is probably the end of the line without you doing their head in.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Companies can not take you on unpaid - they have to pay the national minimum wage. So you offering to work for free it not helping your chances in any way.

Aside from that, if you do not value your time, why should anyone else?

I once had someone ask if they could work for free for me. At the time, I needed some help so it came at the right time (I paid them a legal wage) but as it happened it did not work out. My advice would be to stop asking to work for free.

As for the reply, who knows what they mean. Chances are they are being polite. You have had some tenacity and followed it up which is nice and I am sure in theory they would keep your details on file. But that is probably the end of the line without you doing their head in.

How do charity shops deal with it? Work experience? etc
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How do charity shops deal with it? Work experience? etc
    voluntary workers in your organisation are exempt from the minimum wage if both the following apply:
    - you are a charity, voluntary organisation, associated fund-raising body or statutory body
    - you give them no monetary payments and only limited and specified expenses and benefits

I suppose if our OP is applying to a charity then I am wrong. But I dont know many people who would be chasing up a volunteering job for a charity is saying there is nothing available.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What's the research you want to show him? That bit is where it crosses the line for me. Up until then I'd call you determined, or tenacious, but offering research - I think you come across as a little creepy. Why would he want to see your research? If you genuinely think he may be interested, you should have said what it was (don't do that now, it's too late). But you also need to be aware that what is important you you may not be important to him.

I think you should put your encounter onto the 'maybe' pile. It may come to something in the future, it may not. That future could be next week, or well over 12 months away. You just don't know.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This will probably come across as harsh but you have said you prefer plain speaking. I think, OP, you mistake Steve's politeness for ambiguity. "We'll keep your details on file" is management speak for "Go forth and multiply. If we wanted to see you, we would have invited you for an interview, now leave us alone." Very occasionally they do call back at a time that suits them.

I think you will improve your chances if you stop coming across as so entitled "Oh, but my research will revolutionise your company/save the world" and just understand that "No" means no, however politely it is worded.

I trust this is clear enough and genuinely wish you luck in your job search but, unless a vacancy is advertised as an internship, offering to work for nothing comes across as both desperate and creepy. If you value yourself so little, why should anyone want to employ you? Are you not worth a salary? Welcome to the world of work; it is not like university, everyone is not a winner. Apologies if that was too unambiguous.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Your second email was a step too far and Steve's irritation is starting to show in his response.

For 'We really don't...' You can interpret as 'Ive TOLD you this, do you not understand/believe me?'

With your third response I think you may have lost any chance with this company.

Steve has been very polite and considerate responding to you twice.

You are coming across as demanding and pushy, and as someone who is unable to accept a response/decision.

I agree with Detroit, I think he sounds irritated and you should have stopped after the first email.

I honestly don't see how he is 'irritated' with me?
    He didn't have to respond back firstly, and secondly he even said ' I definitely admire your energy'
    I actually took it as a positive !!!???!!
  • 2018d
    Options
    "Oh, but my research will revolutionise your company/save the world" What's the research you want to show him? That bit is where it crosses the line for me. Up until then I'd call you determined, or tenacious, but offering research - I think you come across as a little creepy. Why would he want to see your research?

I meant it in the sense that Ive been keeping busy and proactive in the industry in the interim, and it be a good marker of my capabilities and potential if I was interviewed rather than a cv
  • 2018d
    edited 10 March 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options

What will you do if Steve contacts you for interview in a few months' time? I hope you'll accept the offer and not take the view that you're unhappy with them for not interviewing you sooner.

haha its so true, I had been thinking up thanks but no thanks replies when they did finally approach me. I know better now ;)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strongly recommend you stop trying to justify yourself and start listening if you want anyone to employ you. You don't state what field you are in but I cannot think of one where any amount of research (which may or may not have any value at all) is a substitute for a CV. Think how long it takes to read each of these then try to put yourself in an employer's position. They probably have three dozen of you bothering them every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure