Is this a polite rejection

Options
I re-trained last winter and have been speculatively cold calling companies to find work, even if it is initially unpaid. I had a one minute conversation with one of the 'decision makers' at a highly reputable firm. Below is the correspondence. I don't know what to make of it... is this a very polite rejection? Have I made a complete fool of myself?

I sent this follow up email one week after the phone conversation in early December where he asked me to send over my resume.

Hello,

I sent a speculative enquiry (below)last week regarding an unpaid position.

I wonder if you had a chance to look over my details.

Please do advise me of your decision.

Thanks

Hi Sophia. Unfortunately we do not have any suitable openings at the current time. I will definitely keep your cv under reference for suitable junior roles in the near future.

Best, Steve

In mid-Feb I re-contacted him with this

Hi Steve. I’m wondering, any Unpaid Junior roles? Anything I can do to better my chances?
Best
Sophia

Response

We really don’t have any positions at the moment Sophia, although I definitely admire your energy. If anything suitable comes along I will certainly be in touch.

Best,Steve

I really hope so and look forward to it. Because I have research that I would like to show you then.

Best wishes Steve

Sophia

Is this all just a very polite, time wasting rejection? I have had rejections many, many times in the past but they are usually direct and to the point.eg you need more experience, try again in a few years, we look for xyz qualifications.

I also included a sample of my work in the initial email. I know that my work is 'competent' for a newbie, as the institute I trained with actually offered me job which I rejected as I did not feel I would progress in a learning environment as I would in a real work situation.

Im looking for experienced opinions so that I can get some sense of this or closure and move on.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Its a "go away and leave us alone" don't call use we will call you kind of thing
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 9:36AM
    Options
    I think you should have stopped after the first email, when there was a chance they may have considered you in future.

Your second email was a step too far and Steve's irritation is starting to show in his response.

For 'We really don't...' You can interpret as 'Ive TOLD you this, do you not understand/believe me?'

With your third response I think you may have lost any chance with this company.

Steve has been very polite and considerate responding to you twice.

You are coming across as demanding and pushy, and as someone who is unable to accept a response/decision. Unless you're trying to get into a field where this is an asset, I would advise you avoid this in future.

While it's great to show initiative it's also important to be able to accept what you are told.

Just to add, I don't see how you can consider this a 'time wasting rejection' given you chose to contact them three times, and they asked nothing of you.

Put your hands up.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I don't think Steve is showing any signs of irritation, but I'd very much suggest that you don't e-mail him (or anyone else at the same company) for a while. I don't think you've damaged your chances yet, but I think you'll do so if you push any more.

You seem to be very keen on this particular company - is there a reason for this...?
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Ja7188 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Steve is showing any signs of irritation, but I'd very much suggest that you don't e-mail him (or anyone else at the same company) for a while. I don't think you've damaged your chances yet, but I think you'll do so if you push any more.

You seem to be very keen on this particular company - is there a reason for this...?

Maybe I'm projecting! I just think that if I'd taken the time to speak on the phone with Sophia, answer her email, and tell her I'd be in touch, I'd expect this to be enough.
    I think I'd be concerned to employ someone reluctant to accept what she'd been told in case this carried forward to her behaviour in the job.
    However we're all different.

Put your hands up.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for your response. I think of it as 'time wasting' as in my experience companies tend to be upfront because they don't want to be harassed .... usually along the lines of thanks but we look for more experience, you have potential call us back in a few years, we need a strong maths background etc

To me his email seems to give me hope, its not a yes but not a no. It is the ambiguity that drives me insane as I am someone who prefers direct yes or no
  • Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without knowing your skillset and what the company does its impossible to say for sure, but basically draw a line under it for now and revisit in 6 months if you're still looking for work then.
  • Ja7188
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How is Steve's reply ambiguous? He clearly states that there's nothing for you at the moment but that he'll be in touch as and when something comes up - how could he make it any clearer...?

It almost sounds like you'd rather have had a flat 'no' rather than the response you've received.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    But it is a no. He clearly says !!!8216;Unfortunately we do not have any suitable openings at the current time!!!8216; and !!!8216;We really don!!!8217;t have any positions at the moment!!!8217;. You asked whether they have any positions, they don!!!8217;t. It!!!8217;s possible they might in the future in which case they will contact you.

Does it help if you think of it as a !!!8216;no, not now!!!8217; answer?

My advice would be to leave it. You made an impression of someone who is organised and determined, Steve will remember you if a position comes up. There is no need to contact him again, doing so might make him reclassify you as a nuisance and move you into the not suitable box.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    How is Steve's reply ambiguous? He clearly states that there's nothing for you at the moment but that he'll be in touch as and when something comes up - how could he make it any clearer...?

It almost sounds like you'd rather have had a flat 'no' rather than the response you've received.

Ja7188, you genuinely have an impressive understanding and ability to read situations. You are 100% correct I would have just preferred an outright No than to be left in limbo
  • Ja7188
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No offence, but if that's your view then I think you're going to struggle to gain employment as you seem not to understand how businesses operate.

There are all sorts of reasons why a company may be interested in you and your skillset but not be able to progress your application at the present time - they may not have any current vacancies, they may be waiting for positions to be formally signed off, they may have a recruitment freeze (not uncommon at this time of year), there may be some restructuring going on which could impact the positions available - the list goes on. You need to work with their timescales, not the other way round - and I'd very much suggest that you don't continue to take the view that this constitutes leaving you in limbo.

What will you do if Steve contacts you for interview in a few months' time? I hope you'll accept the offer and not take the view that you're unhappy with them for not interviewing you sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure