Is this a polite rejection

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oi, mush. Some of us do! :-)

PS: I wonder if anyone can guess which Russell Group uni from the above reply. It may take some knowledge of regional linguistic differences. :-)

Is it in Essex? <ducks and hides behind Ja> :D
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    the first email back was fairly positive. Steve didn't have anything for you at that time, but thought you might be a fit for the company in future. I think then contacting again was a mistake,

I agree with this.

I wish I hadn't have sent the 2nd and 3rd email, but was anxious that as a head of a firm he could have forgotten about me.

I've always been told by career advisers, agencies etc that it is a good idea to keep in touch/update prospective openings every 3-4 months
    i.e. Hello, I'm still here and still interested and this is what I've been doing in the interim.

However, I am definitely not contacting him again, unless he contacts me first.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, you are clearly very confident, unfortunately, it is bordering on arrogance, hence the responses you are getting.

Your problem is that you are probably also a bit of a control freak who needs to know exactly where you stand. The reality is indeed that the world is full of ambiguity and you have to learn to live with it. Trying to read too much into something is wasting your energy because very often, people don't put as much thinking into their actions as you try to analyse.

Like a few have suggested, I expect it went like this:
    They got your call, spoke politely to you, gave it little thought as you are only one of many such call they get, but ask you to send your CV because you never know.

Steve got your email, briefly looked at your CV and thought you are not exactly what they are looking for at the moment OR thought you could fit in a particular role, but they are not currently recruiting into this role.

Steve happens to remember what it was like when he was in your position so does bother to take the time to respond. His response is opened maybe so that not to crush your enthusiasm because again, he remembers what it's like to get straight rejection after another OR because indeed, he liked your CV, appreciated your eagerness and indeed might remember you when an appropriate position comes up.

I agree that this is where you should have left it, because you subsequent action showed your arrogance, ie. I'm not giving up because I think I am better than anyone else and really you should be giving me a chance right now.
    At this point if Steve contacted me in the future with a position, which I now gather is highly unlikely, I don't even think I'd want it =(
    And indeed, that says it all. Why wouldn't you take it if you felt a role with this company justified your persistence. It's like being a petulant child who has a big tantrum because she doesn't get her way there and then.

You need to learn that the world doesn't evolve around you and you don't always get what you want when you want it. For all you know, if you'd stopped after the second email, something might have come up and Steve would have thought 'I'm going to contact Sophia for an interview, I liked her persistence and confidence'. As it stands, he has now probably binned your CV.

An opportunity, even if it is just that at one point, can become gold. Don't let your frustration take over.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    2018d wrote: »
    I really hope so and look forward to it. Because I have research that I would like to show you then.

Best wishes Steve

Sophia

I just showed this thread to a friend and she in fact thinks my email above is me saying ok I m moving on and look forward to the day I can say no thanks.

Best wishes Steve aka Go and you know what Steve

OMG - this is turning into Shakespeare analysis!!

Im hoping, as some have already done, for their objective opinion based on their professional experience

My objective opinion, based on my experience recruiting staff to investment banking is that you are coming across as arrogant and annoying. People are giving you advice and rather than taking it on board you are arguing with them.

The comment above about why such a great candidate is still unemployed is a fair one. How great are you? What are your degrees in, and from where? What have you done to take your previous employers forward? Where have you innovated, which systems did you implement, or improve?

Do you have a rowing blue, have you trekked to both poles, have you an Olympic medal, have you acted as a mentor for local disadvantaged children?
  • 2018d
    Options
    FBaby, this is an excellent answer like some others on the thread. It tells me everything in a constructive manner of whats happened and how I can move forward.

You seem to understand that when one is emotionally invested in something, it is difficult. to be objective hence why people go on forums to hear outsiders opinions on the same situation. Interpersonal skills don't come in the equation in these situations IMHO.

As it stands, he has now probably binned your CV.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( but I see why, if so.

And indeed, that says it all. Why wouldn't you take it if you felt a role with this company justified your persistence. It's like being a petulant child who has a big tantrum because she doesn't get her way there and then.

The best thing to have to come out of the thread is this very point that you and some other son the thread have made. And absolutely, if he does contact me, which I still want to think he will, I will just be grateful for the interview and any subsequent position.

An opportunity, even if it is just that at one point, can become gold. Don't let your frustration take over.[

Great point
  • 2018d
    edited 13 March 2018 at 9:16AM
    Options
    My objective opinion, based on my experience recruiting staff to investment banking is that you are coming across as arrogant and annoying. People are giving you advice and rather than taking it on board you are arguing with them.

The comment above about why such a great candidate is still unemployed is a fair one. How great are you? What are your degrees in, and from where? What have you done to take your previous employers forward? Where have you innovated, which systems did you implement, or improve?

Do you have a rowing blue, have you trekked to both poles, have you an Olympic medal, have you acted as a mentor for local disadvantaged children?

The company has my CV alongside samples of work, which states everything that they need to know about me.
    I don't feel I have go into that sort of detail on a thread, when it more than likely is setting me up for more snide comments.

As I stated in my first post, I RE-TRAINED late last year.
    So despite the credible, transferable skills and excellent recommendations and references I bring from former positions I am realistic to see I am an entry level candidate in this particular field,
    And the fact I was offered a job by the institute I trained with and another a company I had applied to last Christmas (one fortnight after completing the re-training programme), both of which I turned down in terms of career progression and pay, is my choice and I stand by it.

But it is a testament to that I am a good candidate for future employment as is the fact that I have used my own initiative and resources in independent research in the interim, and its not something I'm going to apologise for.

This firm in question has excellent training, mentorship and career progression, which is why my heart is so set on them,
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    2018d wrote: »
    English is my first and only language.Not that for any reason it should even be an issue.

Funnily enough one of my 2 masters is in Public Relations (First Class ), and my work has been published in 10 national media outlets. And I secured subsequent work from those editors.
    Hang on. Which university puts class on a masters degree?
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 10:22AM
    Options

Completely OT, but there was a programme on R4 tonight about the dilution or inflation of academic requirements for employment which is worth listening to; it's probably on a podcast.

I'll look that up.

I'm currently reading this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Auction-Promises-Education-Incomes/dp/0199926441

which discusses the place of university degrees gained in the West now that India and China are catching up so quickly in the knowledge economy.

Enjoying it so far.

Edit: Thank you silverwhistle, that was really interesting. As was Town or Gown: New Tribes in Brezit.

I really must get back to work!
  • Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear Sophia,
    Steve here. It's never going to happen. Please move on with your life.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 5:44PM
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    Hang on. Which university puts class on a masters degree?

That's what I thought when I read that post! I also didn't know you could get a degree in public relations.

I'm actually someone who doesn't worry too much about what a degree subject was, so long as it demonstrably had academic rigour. Is there a large body of research in "public relations"? (Could be some psychology I s'pose).

EDIT: When I did my masters at a Russell uni you could get a commendation (very few people and not me!) but apart from that they were unclassified.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure