Is this a polite rejection

Options

Comments

• StaffieTerrier
    Options
    I'd love to think that this was a wind-up but I've worked in a department where one individual was relentless in their mission to work for us. They'd applied for a job with us, was offered the job on the condition of good references, then had the job offer withdrawn when poor references arrived (they'd work within the same institution and the referee contacted the chair of the interview panel to say don't hire this person). Even having a job offer withdrawn didn't stop that person constantly applying for jobs, asking about unpaid work and writing to senior members of the department begging for an opportunity. We also run training courses and she attended every single one. It took 5 years for her to finally get the hint. She works in an allied field now that has links to our department.

Sometimes you need to know when to give up.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I still need interpersonal skills etc for work, and it doesn't measure them.

Exactly - and this is the point that so many people with high-level qualifications seem to forget and then wonder why they don't progress as quickly as they think they should.
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I appreciate it, whatever your opinions may be, and however questionably you may phrase them. It has been an eye opener, to say the least.

At this point if Steve contacted me in the future with a position, which I now gather is highly unlikely, I don't even think I'd want it =(

Incidentally, I received yet another rejection this morning from a model and talent agency I sent my photos to for part time catalogue/ stock photos work and wanted to share it with you.

Hello Sophia,

Your photos were carefully considered by all the agents here at Elite, but I!!!8217;m afraid the answer is a no on this occasion. When taking on a future model it is important that the booking team reach a unanimous decision regarding the model's potential, and unfortunately we don!!!8217;t feel you have the right look for Elite .

If you would like to try other agencies we strongly suggest you only approach those on the Association of Model Agencies (AMA) register. Please also be aware that a reputable agency will never ask you for money up front.

We wish you the best of luck for the future.

All the best

Frederic

A huge contrast.

I see no scope for ambiguity whatsoever in their response; it is polite but still honest and gives closure. It kills any possibility of unfounded hope with this particular agency.
    This is what I personally call a rejection.

Thanks again and good luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's because they know they would never take you on as you're not suitable to work for them, so there was no point in them keeping you under consideration.

Steve's situation was that he may be able to use you in future, hence keeping your application warm.

Both gave the appropriate answer for the circumstances.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    2018d wrote: »
    Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I appreciate it, whatever your opinions may be, and however questionably you may phrase them. It has been an eye opener, to say the least.

At this point if Steve contacted me in the future with a position, which I now gather is highly unlikely, I don't even think I'd want it =(

Incidentally, I received yet another rejection this morning from a model and talent agency I sent my photos to for part time catalogue/ stock photos work and wanted to share it with you.

Hello Sophia,

Your photos were carefully considered by all the agents here at Elite, but I!!!8217;m afraid the answer is a no on this occasion. When taking on a future model it is important that the booking team reach a unanimous decision regarding the model's potential, and unfortunately we don!!!8217;t feel you have the right look for Elite .

If you would like to try other agencies we strongly suggest you only approach those on the Association of Model Agencies (AMA) register. Please also be aware that a reputable agency will never ask you for money up front.

We wish you the best of luck for the future.

All the best

Frederic

A huge contrast.

I see no scope for ambiguity whatsoever in their response; it is polite but still honest and gives closure. It kills any possibility of unfounded hope with this particular agency.
    This is what I personally call a rejection.

Thanks again and good luck

Hilarious.

So if Steve, who (as many people have pointed out) has been very pleasant to you and even paid you a compliment, asks you to interview in a few months' time then you're probably going to reject it on the basis that he shouldn't have "left you in limbo" and because the company didn't work to YOUR timescales?

I really hope you're not trying to justify your viewpoint on the company that Steve works for (which pretty much everyone on here disagrees with) on the basis of a rejection letter from a modelling agency...
  • 2018d
    2018d Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    I want to answer your questions but I'm not sure what you mean?

So if Steve, who (as many people have pointed out) has been very pleasant[/I] to you and even paid you a compliment[/I], asks you to interview in a few months' time then you're probably going to reject it on the basis that he shouldn't have "left you in limbo" and because the company didn't work to YOUR timescales?

I don't dispute he has been pleasant and good at communicating with me, which he is obviously under no obligation to ... but for what????!!! There is no offer of a job or possible time frame, its not like it has been harsh and flat out said no and then tried to soften the blow with being politely signing off. I think if someone is starting out and eager, to the point of willing to work unpaid to secure experience, its better to be a bit upfront. As far as I see there is no real promise of anything, and if anything it is probably a standard rejection for now and the future. At least thats the impression I have got from the thread.

even paid you a compliment,

Im not sure which compliment you are referring to.... is it 'I admire your spirit'? because Im sure someone else on the thread said he was being sarcastic with that

probably going to reject it on the basis that he shouldn't have "left you in limbo" and because the company didn't work to YOUR timescales?

I might feel apprehensive about it. only because I have misunderstood so much of what he has said in this v. brief interaction. But you are right, there is a bit of my pride and ego that has been bruised here which I should find a way to overcome. Especially if someone bothers to keep me in mind.

I really hope you're not trying to justify your viewpoint on the company that Steve works for (which pretty much everyone on here disagrees with)

Really unclear what you mean about this, not disagreeing trying to understand
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still need interpersonal skills etc for work, and it doesn't measure them.

The OP has already demonstrated that Russell Group graduates possess no interpersonal skills, having had to come onto an internet forum to get an email analysed, then disagree with most of the responses.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want my reading, the first email back was fairly positive. Steve didn't have anything for you at that time, but thought you might be a fit for the company in future. I think then contacting again was a mistake, he had said he would contact you if anything came up, so by pushing you are implying you don't trust him to do what he said.

Unless these companies are charities then having you work for free would be illegal, as has been pointed out, so that eager offer becomes more of a mark of desperation than an attraction for an employer.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 12:27AM
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    The OP has already demonstrated that Russell Group graduates possess no interpersonal skills,...

Oi, mush. Some of us do! :-)

PS: I wonder if anyone can guess which Russell Group uni from the above reply. It may take some knowledge of regional linguistic differences. :-)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a Russell Group masters degree and you get a distinction, not a first. First, 2:1 etc are usually (not 100%) undergrad....

I'm so old that in my day you didn't need a masters to get employment, in fact it was arguably a disadvantage if you were leaving academia.

Completely OT, but there was a programme on R4 tonight about the dilution or inflation of academic requirements for employment which is worth listening to; it's probably on a podcast.

PS: not meant as reflection on your masters, Brassic, but I know from your posts on MSE that you and other posters on this thread would find it interesting,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure