Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

Re the texting in front of the OP with a smile on his face and other behaviour - could it be possible that he's not actually having an affair at all but wants the OP to think that and confront him so he can play the 'you don't trust me, you've accused me without cause/proof so this marriage is over' card.

Curious how this ended.
    Did she finally accept that there was no affair?
    Did somebody 'have a word with her'?

That crossed my mind re the playing games too. Another reason for not accusing him straight out

It sort of fizzled out, although she is still a bit insecure. I think that they were going through a bit of a rough time. There is an age gap (she's quite a bit older than him). I have no problems with age gaps in relationships (my OH is a number of years older than me) but I think that there are some times when that gap is more apparent than others and this was one of those times.

Silly really. They are a lovely couple and he adores her. And my friend (who is gorgeous which probably didn't help) and her partner are absolutely rock solid, too.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    You have to mutually agree to be able to track each other. Personally I'm OK with my immediate family being able to see where I am, but I can see why some people (even those with nothing to hide) wouldn't be happy with it. For example I'd never let my mum track me because she's nosy and she wouldn't be able to help herself from constantly asking me why I was in place XYZ.

I would hate it, even though I have absolutely nothing to hide. I need my private space.

To the OP, I know nothing about tracking on phones. Can you just go to wherever he said he was going and see if he is there? If he is, have a reason ready for coming.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Trust is not something you wake up one morning and think 'you know what, I feel like trusting you today, so I will'. Trust is not something you give or take for no reason. Trust is something that you earn because you show the person that there have no reason to think you are not being totally truthful or honest with them.

Sometimes though things muddle things a bit and your mind start to wonder. It's not a case of waking up, deciding that you don't trust and suddenly coming up with numerous reason why that person can't be trusted, it's the other way around. It doesn't have to be one way or the other, but a case of analysing information that is put in front of you that is leading to consider various outcomes.

Are you saying that if your boss was suddenly not inviting you to meetings, forgetting to copy you on emails, not asking you about how you are each time he saw you when he used to, you'd be mad to wonder whether he might suddenly don't think highly of you, and if it turned out that it was nothing, just him being distracted, even though he confirmed that he was still very pleased with your work, you should walk out on the job because you had one episode of suspicion that led to you losing trust in your boss, and therefore you should walk out on the job?

Let’s be fair about this though- in employment I have rights and it is for all intents and purposes a business arrangement. I’m currently going through redundancy, so I can relate.

If I lose trust in my boss, I have other avenues.

In a relationship it’s paramount to trust your SO, if you don’t, enough to start stalking them atleast, it’s all gone.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options
    Can you just go to wherever he said he was going and see if he is there?

You mean STALK them???

:eek:

51 weeks in prison. Its very black and white.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    You mean STALK them???

:eek:

51 weeks in prison. Its very black and white.

No...if he said he was going to a particular pub, for example, she's just as entitled to go there as he is.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options
    No...if he said he was going to a particular pub, for example, she's just as entitled to go there as he is.

I know that, and you know that.....
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    If you told your wife that you were required to work late, and she came to check up on that. Ye, your relationship is dead.

In trusting relationships, loving ones. Your wife would instead have you a nice meal ready, after a long day (and no that not sexist, I'd say the same if roles reversed)

I would agree with this. I couldn’t stay with someone I didn’t trust & I couldn’t stay with someone who didn’t trust me.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    I'm wondering what will happen if the OP follows/tracks/spies/stalks/tomayto/tomato her partner and finds no evidence of an affair.

Will they then live happily ever after?

OP, if finding out your husband is NOT having an affair would bring you happiness in the relationship, take the (legal) advice you've been given to find out.

However, if you're unhappy regardless, what's the point of putting yourself through the stress risk and expense?

Affair or no, he's distant and disinterested, you're mistrustful and miserable.

You don't need him to be having an affair to leave him.

Put your hands up.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Comm, I used an example of work as a mean to show that trust doesn't have to be all or nothing. The fact that you have legal rights at work is irrelevant (and you do have rights in marriage too anyway), or are you saying that whether you trust or not is dependent on these rights.

The point I'm making is that at least for me, trust is not something static. It's not something I woke up one morning, looked at my now husband and thought, today, I feel like trusting you for the rest of my life.

Trust is an emotion, it comes and goes and is flexed depending on the stimuli you get in life. One day I might trust my kids completely, then one day they will do something that makes me question whether they are ready to be as independent as they claim, so I will go back to checking that they are going where they say they are etc...

For me, Trust is something you earn. The person who holds the strings is not the person who gives the trust but with the person that receives it. Of course that's assuming that nobody suffers from paranoia that leads to persecution, I'm talking in a normal relationship when sometime, just like you feel that your love for someone is a bit tested, so can be trust, but that doesn't mean that the relationship is dead the moment you have a bit of a wobble.

Frankly, I think there is a lot worse anyone can do in a relationship than follow their partner once because they got something in their head. As said, I did that one time when my OH acted strangely, realised he hadn't lied at all, never done it again, and a few months later,I told him and we laughed about it. Do I think my OH will ever cheat on me. No, I really don't. Do I think it's impossible: of course not, nothing is impossible.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 10:05AM
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Comm, I used an example of work as a mean to show that trust doesn't have to be all or nothing. The fact that you have legal rights at work is irrelevant (and you do have rights in marriage too anyway), or are you saying that whether you trust or not is dependent on these rights.

The point I'm making is that at least for me, trust is not something static. It's not something I woke up one morning, looked at my now husband and thought, today, I feel like trusting you for the rest of my life.

Trust is an emotion, it comes and goes and is flexed depending on the stimuli you get in life. One day I might trust my kids completely, then one day they will do something that makes me question whether they are ready to be as independent as they claim, so I will go back to checking that they are going where they say they are etc...

For me, Trust is something you earn. The person who holds the strings is not the person who gives the trust but with the person that receives it. Of course that's assuming that nobody suffers from paranoia that leads to persecution, I'm talking in a normal relationship when sometime, just like you feel that your love for someone is a bit tested, so can be trust, but that doesn't mean that the relationship is dead the moment you have a bit of a wobble.

Frankly, I think there is a lot worse anyone can do in a relationship than follow their partner once because they got something in their head. As said, I did that one time when my OH acted strangely, realised he hadn't lied at all, never done it again, and a few months later,I told him and we laughed about it. Do I think my OH will ever cheat on me. No, I really don't. Do I think it's impossible: of course not, nothing is impossible.

I do find this interesting because we are very different.

We've been together for nearly ten years now. We had a clear the air talk before we started going out about certain things. It was mostly from her POV - she said that she was never going to marry me and was never going to live with me. If that was ever going to be an issue for me then best we left it there. I was more than happy with that!. I like living on my own

Since then we've trusted each other implicitly. And, because we don't live together, we both have time to cheat. We keep in touch but we don't tell each other what we are going to be doing all the time. And we don't check up on each other. We are both open and honest about what we've done and where we've been and about everything else.

It's never occurred to me not to trust her and vice versa. No wobbling at all in this relationship re trust - and, indeed, in other strong relationships I know. If she found out I'd followed her somewhere because I suspected something may be up she'd cut my b***s off. And then ask me why I hadn't simply asked her where she was going/what she was doing.

And to add a bit more as I have pondering on this since posting.

My previous long term relationship (a marriage) lasted 27 years. We probably shouldn't have got married. We were (are) chalk and cheese and there wasn't enough common ground. We drifted along, not awful at all and, gradually, built up separate lives. And ended up like brother and sister living together. Again, loads of chances to cheat. I worked in London and was often out after work - she ended up being a student and then a post grad.

We failed on communication. If we had talked more openly we would have likely separated earlier (which would have been better for both of us) but there were quite serious health issues involved as well.

But we never ended up not trusting each other. Neither of us cheated and, as soon as she thought something might be about to happen with a guy at uni, she told me.

And I don't honestly know about having to build up trust. Personally, I trust anyone (partner, acquaintance, friend, member of staff etc) from the get go until they prove me wrong. It's worked pretty well for me over the years. Others start from the opposite end. "I am not going to trust you till you prove to me I can"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure