Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World Support Thr

Options

Comments

• esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have I messed up??

Trying a speed day today but I've had cottage cheese at lunchtime (Aldi's onion and chive which is free on EE) thinking it counted as protein... not sure now. Any help?
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    esmy wrote: »
    Have I messed up??

Trying a speed day today but I've had cottage cheese at lunchtime (Aldi's onion and chive which is free on EE) thinking it counted as protein... not sure now. Any help?

I don't think cottage cheese is counted as protein.

It doesn't mean you've messed up though, it just means it aint a full SP day. You will still have the benefit of having eaten mire speed and protein, and less free food than you normally would.
    Zebras rock
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Has this thread ever covered the psychological side of food addiction and why we're doing SW? I find in group that opening up about why I consumed food in the way I did helped me understand that my attitude in the past was wrong. I can imagine the reasons are different for each person, but I'm quite happy to start. Understanding our relationship with food is vital to SW, or it has been in my case. If you can understand why you eat 'bad' food, then you can usually mitigate those factors.

I've been quite vocal in the Old Style MSE forum about my diet before Slimming World. When I was stressed, I ate. When I was tired, I ate. When I had a bad day at work, I ate. When I had an argument with my former partner, I ate..... a lot. All of those things required quick satisfaction, and my turn-to was fast food, in particular a big single letter establishment that knock out some pretty tasteless (with the benefit of hindsight) burgers.

I recently became my group's 'Biggest Loser' (the first and only time that'll ever be a compliment) and as part of this, I was asked to fill in a Questionnaire, detailing my progress and success as a SW member. One of the questions was outlining a typical days food when I was at my heaviest. I decided to go back through and find a day that was accurate. I was my heaviest in late 2014, but the best I could find is this from a particularly cold January day in 2015.

Morning: 2x Double Sausage and Egg Muffin, 2x Hash Browns, 1 Large Mocha.

Lunch: 1 Chicken Mayo Sandwich, 1 Large Sausage Roll, 1 Full Fat Coke, 1 Bag of Salt and Vinegar Crisps.

Dinner: 1 Triple Breaded Chicken Burger with Mayo, with Chips and Doner Meat.

I'm not even going to try and count the syns in that.... or the calories for that matter. Looking back on it, it's no wonder I gained weight at such a rapid rate and it's no surprise that I had a number of health issues back when I was at my heaviest. I blamed the weight, but I think you could put as much blame on the food I was consuming.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kathrynha wrote: »
    I don't think cottage cheese is counted as protein.

It doesn't mean you've messed up though, it just means it aint a full SP day. You will still have the benefit of having eaten mire speed and protein, and less free food than you normally would.

You're right that some SP for part of a day is better than none. I know plain cottage cheese is protein so I'd imagine that onion and chive just make it perfect SP!

Sorry if I came across preachy about the fish. I like the hot smoked salmon fillets for a change because they have a different texture to ordinary smoked salmon.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    You're right that some SP for part of a day is better than none. I know plain cottage cheese is protein so I'd imagine that onion and chive just make it perfect SP!

Sorry if I came across preachy about the fish. I like the hot smoked salmon fillets for a change because they have a different texture to ordinary smoked salmon.

I don't think you should worry if you've had one non-SP meal on a SP day. These things happen. The benefits are still there to be had.
  • CattyCatX
    CattyCatX Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2018 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Has this thread ever covered the psychological side of food addiction and why we're doing SW? I find in group that opening up about why I consumed food in the way I did helped me understand that my attitude in the past was wrong. I can imagine the reasons are different for each person, but I'm quite happy to start. Understanding our relationship with food is vital to SW, or it has been in my case. If you can understand why you eat 'bad' food, then you can usually mitigate those factors.

Thanks Stoke!
    To add my experiences - as I said when I joined this thread at the beginning of the year, I've very luckily never really had a "problem" with food. I've never been overweight or 'addicted' to food. I've always eaten very healthy main meals and would unconsciously self-regulate e.g. if I had a Domino's or fish and chips one night (about once a month) then the next day I wouldn't be that hungry and would eat less without consciously thinking about it.

HOWEVER. I had an incredibly stressful year to 18 months both in my work life (awful, awful job) and in my personal life, and I was working ridiculous hours (14-hour days were not uncommon) and comfort eating for the first time in my life. Whenever I had a particularly upsetting email, meeting or phone call (pretty much hourly) I would go for a break for a couple of minutes afterwards to go and get a hot chocolate or a biscuit or cake... So, the weight slowly crept on and even though I left the job and other stressful events thankfully resolved themselves it didn't fall off...

Prior to my experiences above I could never have believed that stress would have such a fast, physical effect - not just the weight but heart palpitations and fainting fits :eek: I knew that stress eating was a real thing - but before experiencing it myself I didn't totally 'get' it iyswim
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Interesting posts, Stoke and CattyCatX.

I don't comfort eat and I don't consider I have a bad relationship with food. I simply love all the high fat, high calorie foods. Butter, mayonnaise (full fat not that revolting wallpaper paste that is apparently low fat), chocolate, cake, white bread, ice cream, desserts, cream, full fat milk and so on. There are some things that I simply have to go without as a small synned amount or the lower fat option simply isn't worth it.

The one thing that I will say I STILL struggle with is the fact that I CAN have some treats. I have the mindset where I have to be hungry and deprived in order to lose weight. I am working on that.

Mind you, even on SW, there is no doubt I am deprived to a degree - I can't have what I really, really want. Hot, thickly buttered crumpets. A Greggs sausage roll. A Krispy Kreme doughnut. I mean, I can have them and Syn them but I can't have them all on the same day, every day.

I am lazy though and SW takes a LOT of prep and a lot of thought. I have to meal plan a week in advance in order to stick to it. It is far easier to order a takeaway than cook a meal from scratch.

There are so, so many benefits to SW though and I think it is the best plan out there - I like having the freedom to eat my own bodyweight in pasta if I choose to do so. I feel so much better for all the fresh fruit and vegetables. My acid reflux has gone, my skin is clearer and I am less bloated. To a degree it's less about what I weigh and more about how I feel. Still want to lose 3 stone though!

EDITED TO ADD: I absolutely love the Sausage & Egg McMuffin, but damn, do they give me heartburn!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm fortunate in that I've been slim most of my life. Then, a bit like catty my lifestyle changed. I had a new very demanding job with longer hours, more sedentary, missed meals, more sitting in meetings, grabbing snacks from petrol stations and then the worse thing of the lot..
    ..rewarding myself with wine every night when I got home. :eek:
    I gradually put on weight over a number of years and kidded myself that because I'm tall and wore a lot of black it didnt show too much. Dress sizes crept up from a small 12 to a 16 and when they started getting tight I knew I had to act!

SW appealed as you don't have to count calories or eat special meals and I can still have my wine syns. :D

I had about 3.5 stone to lose and now I've been at target for 7.5 years. Eating SW is healthy and I'm not going back to being fat. I hated it and being slim gives me pleasure every day. :D
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esmy wrote: »
    SSM hope you have a wonderful time and that the wedding goes well.
    And welcome home Maman.

Congrats to Nicki and Poohsticks on SOTW

Great loss Kathrynha!
    Love your dress MrsR - beautiful colour.

Bubbs how do I find out how to get free beer?? I'm aiming for a cash neutral Christmas this year (ebay selling, freebies etc) so that would be a great bonus.

Food today
    B Bran flakes berries 0%yoghurt and honey
    L LO vegetable curry, salad, little bit of rice, orange
    snack Alpen Light
    D Egg, SW chips, beans and mushrooms, more berries and honey
    One tiny white bread ham sandwich (1/2 slice)
    Its through cash back apps, if you are interested i can pm you x
    I'm fine, thank you. Got some lovely colourful bruises...

Have a brilliantly fabulous time!

Excellent result - well done :T:T:T

Yesterday I stayed on plan again:

B – Oats so Simple (plain) big bowl with 245 ml Alpro Soya Choc (HEX A & B)
    L – Kiln roasted mackerel with salad (mixed leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions, peppers, new potatoes and green beans). Squirt of low fat salad cream (2)
    D – PON baked spaghetti with chicken. I had it with a side of broccoli, cabbage, green beans and peas
    S – Fruit. Pomegranate, grapes, raspberries, banana and a FF yoghurt

Anyone know how many syns in the mackerel? It was Asda kiln roasted. I can get the nutrition info if needed...very tasty.
    I bet you bloomin well have, take care x
    You're welcome.
    Maybe an 18th birthday survival kit? Paracetamol, Alka Seltzer, red bull, chocolate etc. You could add beer for "hair of the dog," condom (depending on how it would go down) or even a voucher for a fry-up at a local cafe.
    My daughter did this for a friend and there was lots of laughing whilst it was being opened as she had written on a tag for each item eg " you'll need this for the nausea!"

Off on hols on Friday. Back after Easter and will have to knuckle down with the sw plan. Too many treats have slipped in and will continue to do so while we are away I expect. The good thing is that I know it works, I just have to DO IT!
    If i dont "see" youagain have a lovely holiday , where you off too?
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3.5lbs loss for me this week taking me up to 3 st 6lbs in total. Not bothered about being 1lbs off an award. Life's not a sprint. This is a long term thing for me.

SOTW in group though ;) Lovely to win a big bag of fresh veggies.
    Well done :T:T
    Not happening, if I'm realistic. Let's call it just 1 stone then. I'd rather take my time and do it right.
    That is more realistic :D
    maman wrote: »
    I'm fortunate in that I've been slim most of my life. Then, a bit like catty my lifestyle changed. I had a new very demanding job with longer hours, more sedentary, missed meals, more sitting in meetings, grabbing snacks from petrol stations and then the worse thing of the lot..
    ..rewarding myself with wine every night when I got home. :eek:
    I gradually put on weight over a number of years and kidded myself that because I'm tall and wore a lot of black it didnt show too much. Dress sizes crept up from a small 12 to a 16 and when they started getting tight I knew I had to act!

SW appealed as you don't have to count calories or eat special meals and I can still have my wine syns. :D

I had about 3.5 stone to lose and now I've been at target for 7.5 years. Eating SW is healthy and I'm not going back to being fat. I hated it and being slim gives me pleasure every day. :D

Thats lovely written:T:T
    I was always fat , said to a customer today cant remember being a size 16 before, she said you must have been, but was bigger than that when i left school:eek:
    I never had unhealthy meals, but i ate crap as well as.......too much wrong food, now i eat loads of RIGHT food and no crap:rotfl::rotfl:

Evening all:D
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure