2019 Wedding

Options

Comments

• kdalwayskint
    Options
    _pale_ I think we're going to change from the rugby club to one of the hotels that we looked at earlier this year. We've got an appointment to go and see them on Wednesday.

Adding up the price of table cloths and chair covers at the rugby club, we may as well go for the hotel that includes it in the initial cost, and it is more of a dressed room, the rugby club is starting to look a bit pricy :eek:

Take into account the fact I've sent the guy at the rugby club 2 emails and no response to either of them :mad:

We need to make a decision quite quickly though as I want to get the invitations out at the end of October / beginning of November :o

How's everyone else getting on?
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • Devonbiker
    Options
    Well, we are now officially booked for 5th of October 2019!

And the stress has already started :( My sister has just told me she wont be attending the engagement party (we aren't close and don't really get on) which has upset me but then went on to moan that I haven't involved her in anything so far! She lives over 200 miles away and has shown no interest and apart from booking a venue, we haven't actually done anything!

On the upside MIL has offered to buy my dress!! So at least thats one cost I dont need to worry about!

Only 354 days to go!!!
  • Roo89
    Roo89 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Best Man has booked his own wedding exactly 5 weeks before ours, so the majority of H2B's guests will be at the BM's wedding right before ours. H2B even talked about moving our wedding but I said that's not really fair considering we booked first. BM has said we shouldn't move it too, but it's added a lot of stress, that wasn't needed.

The recommended B&B for bridal preparations for our venue are fully booked, and I'm struggling to find rooms in another B&B, which makes me think there's another wedding the same day. Our venue can host 2 weddings on the same day, one being in a marquee and traditional all day affair, and the other (which we've booked) is a Twilight wedding in the main Barn. So the hunt for accommodation begins in earnest, as it's just a bit too far to travel from our house to the venue.

Timings for our day are:
    4:30pm Groom and guests arrival
    5:00pm Guests settled in ceremony room
    5:30pm Ceremony
    6:00pm Canapes, Photos etc
    7:50pm Cake Cutting
    8:00pm Furst Dance
    8:30pm Food
    11:30pm Music to stop
    Midnight Site to be cleared

Booked my dress appointment for 12th Jan, custom made dress by the talented Suzanne Harrington, I met her at a vintage wedding fair and the dresses are in my budget and will be made to measure so shouldn't need any alterations which will keep the cost down :)

Planning to do Save the Dates for christmas and new year as we'll see almost everyone so can save on postage.
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Congrats, DevonBiker .
    I'm sorry to hear that about your sister.
    I hope things get better for you. You've got a lot of time though , I'd try not to worry too much.

Roo89,
    Yeah i can see why it's not needed.
    I had to book mine a few weeks after as i think my dad's side of the family has 2 weddings to go to a few weeks before ours. But i don't see them and half my family will probably drop out so all is good.

I hope you find some where to stay,Roo89.

I haven't got around to timings.
    When do you start thinking about timings?
    We haven't done notice yet. Need to get passports and want to get them sorted soon...hubs to be may need one anyway with his new job.

That's a good idea.
    I'm sending mine soon.
    Waiting for his list. He got a little heated when i asked him if i can have his list by saturday.
    But he said he'll try to get it done today in lunch.
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Roo89
    Options
    apricity wrote: »
    I hope you find some where to stay,Roo89.

We haven't done notice yet. Need to get passports and want to get them sorted soon...hubs to be may need one anyway with his new job.

That's a good idea.
    I'm sending mine soon.
    Waiting for his list. He got a little heated when i asked him if i can have his list by saturday.
    But he said he'll try to get it done today in lunch.

Because it's a Twilight wedding the venue sent timings over as soon as we booked, they haven't confirmed with the registrar though so I think it could all change.

We've been talking about getting married for 2 years so our guest list has already been narrowed down, which has helped ease some of the stress, I'm just waiting on H2B to pick his groomsmen, I've already picked bridesmaids and let 3 out of the 4 know the wedding date, my 4th bridesmaid is my little cousin, so she's not going to be involved in planning anything really, but my family are coming round on Sunday for dinner and we're going to tell them all then :)

I managed to strike gold with the accommodation hunt today, found a gorgeous little 2 bed cottage, just 15 minutes from our venue, so I've booked that, meaning I'll have enough space for everyone to get their hair and makeup done as well as having prep photos taken :j
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    Devonbiker
    Well, we are now officially booked for 5th of October 2019
    Congratulations, I've added you to the top post :)
    Family can be strange! Remember, you can choose your friends but not your family!

Roo89
    Because it's a Twilight wedding the venue sent timings over as soon as we booked, they haven't confirmed with the registrar though so I think it could all change.
    I thought individual couples had to contact Registration Offices to arrange for them to attend weddings that aren't being held in their offices?
    I managed to strike gold with the accommodation hunt today, found a gorgeous little 2 bed cottage, just 15 minutes from our venue, so I've booked that, meaning I'll have enough space for everyone to get their hair and makeup done as well as having prep photos taken
    That sounds like a great place you've found, are you staying there the night before too?

apricity
    We only started talking about timings when discussing the budget for food and whether to have one meal or if we could stretch to something in the evening too, which lead on to what time we should have the food!

We went to look at the hotel and it is as lovely as we remember and they've had a little revamp is an ideal venue, but they've put their prices up since we went to view earlier in the year. We could add more to the budget but being realistic we didn't want to go beyond £3000, and if we went to the hotel we would go well over budget, with Christmas not far off and H2B thinks his car will need some with the next MOT we've decided to stick with the Rugby Club.

I had a chat with our photographer today, he was telling me about places near the register office where photos can be taken, including a park, with swings etc that could be fun to do:)

Any of you started practicing your new signature?

Hope everyone is well x
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm finding my new surname difficult to turn into a signature. It always looks scruffy .

Today we viewed a possible venue for our reception and decided to go for it.
    It was the first one we've looked at but it is a gorgeous building and has really big spaces, perfect for what we want.

I sent the hubs-to-be an email of the 2 DJ's that I had quotes for so he can take a look and see which he prefers.

we were looking at another registry office to get married in which would have been closer to our home,
    It was again a beautiful building but 2 things let us down on it .
    1) You could only have 45 guests including us and the 2 officiants
    2) You're not allowed to take photos of the ceremony...
    Shame , really.

and... my parents aren't even interested in how today went. Lovely.
    but it's all good.

i'm so excited now!
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Roo89
    edited 23 October 2018 at 10:51AM
    Options
    wrote:
    Roo89
    I thought individual couples had to contact Registration Offices to arrange for them to attend weddings that aren't being held in their offices?

Our venue books it with them and then they call us to arrange a meeting, and payment of their fee, that's what our coordinator has said is common practice there.
    wrote:
    That sounds like a great place you've found, are you staying there the night before too?

Yes, I'm staying there the night before with 2 or 3 of my bridesmaids, depending on childcare arrangements for one, and then my Mum, Dad and cousin (who is also a bridesmaid but younger) will come down the morning of to get ready with us all.
  • IvysMom
    IvysMom Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Please can I be added to this thread? Getting married on 7 September 2019 at 3.30 at beautiful registry office about 40 mins away. We are trying to do the whole thing for £2000. Our reception is in the park next to the registry office where they are holding a "proms in the park" that evening so the reception venue is free :T . We have booked 3 marquee spaces to put up our marquee, needed 3 as they are small spaces, where we can put the drinks and food. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain as we have no back up plan.
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    Congratulations IvysMom, I've added you to the first post. We have a budget of £3000.

We had our notice appointment today :) while there we were shown the ceremony room and can have up to 60 guests. It's a pleasant enough room and they open a different entrance for the weddings, we had to walk almost around the entire building today!

This weekend we need to put the finishing touches to the information sheet so that our invitations can be sent this coming week.

I thought we'd agreed to just family to the ceremony but H2B wants a few friends to go, my side does out number him a bit :rotfl: after being in the ceremony room today I think we will go up from 40, and the hog roast we are thinking of has minimum number of 60.

How's everyone getting on?
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income