Flight cancelled no reason given

rbulph
rbulph Posts: 547
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 26 February 2018 at 10:46AM in Flight delay compensation
I've just had flights with IcelandAir and Air Iceland from London to Kangerlussuaq in Greenland cancelled, no reason given. The agent is saying there is no possibility for rerouting, and I indeed I can't find any other flights on search engines. The agent says I can get a refund but understandably I'm not very happy with that. I have a return flight with a different airline which I may not be able to get a refund on, and I have spent quite a bit of time planning this trip.

What are my options? Am I right in thinking I can't get compensation under the EU rules when the cancellation is over 14 days in advance (as it is here)? Do I have any rights for simple breach of contract? I paid by debit card unfortunately.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,525
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    you are entitled to rerouting or refund - if no rerouting is possible then that leaves refund
    As you have purchased separate flights you have carried risk. It is unlikely that you will be able to get a refund on the separate flight unless the fare rules of that ticket allow it.
    What date were you due to travel? have you checked if there is alternatives available on the airline website even if it means changing date? or alternatives with another airline that you can purchase with the refund?
    Timetables change to summer schedule at the end of March so this is likely routes being dropped/schedules being changed as the timetables and slots are finalised
  • rbulph
    Forumite
    edited 26 February 2018 at 11:17AM
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    you are entitled to rerouting or refund - if no rerouting is possible then that leaves refund
    As you have purchased separate flights you have carried risk. It is unlikely that you will be able to get a refund on the separate flight unless the fare rules of that ticket allow it.
    What date were you due to travel? have you checked if there is alternatives available on the airline website even if it means changing date? or alternatives with another airline that you can purchase with the refund?
    Timetables change to summer schedule at the end of March so this is likely routes being dropped/schedules being changed as the timetables and slots are finalised

I was due to fly on 13th August. As I mentioned, my initial searches for alternative flights came up with nothing.

It's pretty outrageous if these Icelandic airlines sell flights in the knowledge that they might cancel them when they change their schedules, wasting their customers' time and money.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,525
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    rbulph wrote: »
    It's pretty outrageous if these Icelandic airlines sell flights in the knowledge that they might cancel them when they change their schedules, wasting their customers' time and money.

Unfortunately this can happen with any airline
    I suspect they did not know when you purchased the flights that they would be scrapping the route
    http://icelandreview.com/news/2018/02/15/air-iceland-connect-scales-down-operations
  • There are lots of options coming up on skyscanner for you date and route required
  • London-Copenhagen-Greenland - £426

SAS & Air Greenland
  • rbulph
    Forumite
    There are lots of options coming up on skyscanner for you date and route required

Thanks, it doesn't actually look so bad. I had used Matrix Airfare Search, which came up with nothing.
  • rbulph
    Forumite
    So is the original airline obliged to reroute me, or do I have to accept a refund? The new flight is still quite a bit more expensive than the original one was.
  • rbulph
    Forumite
    The booking was with tripsta. When I email them or send them a message through their online messaging service I get an email back saying that the message cannot be delivered. When I phone them I just get left in a queue. Perhaps I have to go direct to the airline.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That would be the safest option.
    But yes, I believe our understanding of the regs is that the airline must re-route you at their cost (the 2 week limit only applies to compensation claims).
    But I maybe wrong.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills