MSE News: TV licence costs to increase from April

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 February 2018 at 11:27AM
    Hmm, I can only go on what I read in the press or hear on the radio...
    We're talking specifically about TV here, and I'm concerned particularly with TV News programs (and rolling news).
    ... but the amount of attention that superannuated old fools like Norman Lamont and Nigel "no, let me speak" Farage get would suggest that they are at least trying.
    But even focusing on "unattractive" voices in terms of finding a pro-Brexit line may be a form of bias. There must be some younger, more positive advocates of Brexit out there. I'm at a slight disadvantage, here, in no longer being a regular watcher of BBC news, however, I do watch C4 News most days and I can't recall the last time they featured Farage. Lamont maybe more recently, but even then as part of a tiny minority of pro-Brexit views featured. Even their main backdrop for Brexit stories is titled "Brexit Reality", which would appear to have a negative slant.
    The specific issue with Brexit is that no one is clear what it means and what will happen, even those for it, so the subject is ripe for satire. Any questioning or criticism and immediately the messenger gets jumped on.
    Reams have been written about whether we understand what it means or not.
    Personally, I think the broad outline is clear, and I find it disappointing that the apparent lack of clarity was only mentioned once the polls had closed. Otherwise, though, I agree. Brexit is one of those issues that will test the commitment of any broadcaster to genuine balance. But all the more reason to make a diligent effort, I would suggest.
    Anyway, it's always good to get your excellently technical views on the issue, to hear House Martin's charmless rants (and wonder why there aren't more assaults!) and the usual right-wing anti-BBC whinges.
    Thanks. Bear in mind that HM's posts and my factual "setting the record straight" responses are the yin and yang of this issue - the harmonious contrast of enlightenment and darkness. ;)

As for the right-wing whinging, that comes with the territory, I think.
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    Thanks. Bear in mind that HM's posts and my factual "setting the record straight" responses are the yin and yang of this issue - the harmonious contrast of enlightenment and darkness. ;)

That made me laugh!

I think they'll struggle to find "younger more positive advocates", but there you go. It's a complete shambles as far as I'm concerned, and to avoid mentioning BBC content, summed up by the front cover of the previous Private Eye, Rees-Mogg looking particularly supercilious in top hat and tails with a speech bubble "We must throw off the shackles of the EU and trade freely again with Persia, Mesopotamia and Cathay"..

Although I always thought the Tory attitude to "trade" was to look down on it!
  • HWW wrote: »
    AH, the LEFT wing loonie answer - Nationalise everything..... & everyone pays for what YOU want....
    Very democratic - NOT.:eek:

Actually democracy is merely a polite word for subjugation of individual rights to the will of the majority.. or mob rule if you will.
    So the left wing loonie answer probably *is* democratic, but that doesn't make it any more just!! :p
    Taxation is theft, purely and simply even though it is theft on a grand and colossal scale which no acknowledged criminals could hope to match.

Murray N. Rothbard
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Anyway, it's always good to get your excellently technical views on the issue, to hear House Martin's charmless rants (and wonder why there aren't more assaults!) and the usual right-wing anti-BBC whinges.

He's probably on a lot of ignore lists so we never actually see his brainless ramblings. I don't think it's clicked with him yet that he's being strung along rather than the other way around (and no, I don't think even this will be a clue).
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 9:09AM
    He's probably on a lot of ignore lists so we never actually see his brainless ramblings. I don't think it's clicked with him yet that he's being strung along rather than the other way around (and no, I don't think even this will be a clue).
    Something tells me that you declare yourself "not to NEED a tv licence,lol " Colin. Am I right ? By the way, here on MSE we are supposed to be respectful and friendly towards each other, you would do well to remember that. You are not on your TVLR forum of neanderthals here who cuss and swear at the same time as ruthlessly attacking the BBC at every chance possible.The MSE forum is more refined than those nasty people on TVLR
    . Baffling why they should constantly attack the BBC because they have opted out, they claim , of viewing the BBC and live scheduled TV to save themselves £147 a year..so whats the problem ? So shut up moaning about the BBC,, watch your Yank Netflix pap, prat about with catch up hours later after the event and go and spend the 147 nicker you ve saved and spend it on "something nice " such as pizza and booze, your usual fare.
    Why am I surprised that on a Money Saving forum that so many people do not like paying for a TV licence.
    Money Savers by their very nature tend to throw up a lot more than average skinflints and tight fists .
    Personally I think 40 p a day, £150 a year, is an absolute bargain.
    I d pay that just to watch the 3 series of The Detectorists ! But then I am an honest person and do not break the law
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I am an honest person and do not break the law

No? Data Protection Act? Libel laws?

Lol
  • House_Martin
    Nick_C wrote: »
    No? Data Protection Act? Libel laws?

Lol
    Are YOU accusing me of breaking the Data Protection Act ? , can you furnish any evidence ? Steady on, That`s libellous .
    lol
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 9:16AM
    Something tells me that you declare yourself "not to NEED a tv licence,lol " Colin. Am I right ? By the way, here on MSE we are supposed to be respectful and friendly towards each other, you would do well to remember that.
    Realistically, though, if you go about the forum insulting people and making false accusations to them or about them, then you have breached that principle of "be nice to MSEers" yourself. When you can moderate your tone and your exaggerated opinions of others you might be able to claim the moral high ground if they insult you. But that seems a way off at the moment.
    You are not on your TVLR forum of neanderthals who cuss and swear at the same time as ruthlessly attacking the BBC at every chance possible.The MSE forum is more refined than those nasty idiots on TVLR
    Just leave TVLR alone, they are doing a fine job, and simply exercising their right to free speech. Discussion of them here is pointless, and it will leave many MSEers bemused as to your ranting.
    Money Savers by their very nature tend to throw up a lot more than average skinflints and tight fists.
    MSE is the nicest online environment I know, and most of the people here are very nice individually too. It never claims to be perfect, but I think your characterisations are unfair in the context of all the good work being done here, for example to support people in debt and those on low incomes.
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    Are YOU accusing me of breaking the Data Protection Act ? , can you furnish any evidence ? Steady on, That`s libellous .
    lol

I think Nick_C is referring to your lengthy explanations about data leakage between the various clients of your employer.

I think it's fair to say that based on your own words, you reveled in the ability to access leaked TV Licensing data about people whose homes you were entering for meter reading purposes. I personally think the legal obligation was the BBC's, Capita's and MDS's, rather than yours personally, but you did depict yourself as a very enthusiastic participant.
  • House_Martin
    edited 2 March 2018 at 10:40AM
    CC sucking up to MSE as usual.
    TVLR is not doing a "fine " job IMO and I won t leave it alone. You can expect me to be having my say on there very soon as I am now a member .. I won`t last long I expect and will be attacked as if I am the devil , for speaking the truth of course.
    It operates on the edge of the law and just about sticks to it . I ve been entertained lately trawling its forum and other sections.
    I recommend MSE forum members to have a glance through it to compare it with a civilised forum. Very amusing how they edit the "C " word a little but do not delete it.
    I noticed they attacked another G4S (agency employee ) who also was just putting forward how he was just doing his job as instructed by G4S in his hand delivered TV licence reminders and soon was drummed off by the neanderthals.
    It fulfills its remit in "aiding and abetting " UK residents in how to deal with Capita employees merely going about their lawful business politely checking for BBC licence transgressors.
    The hatred and venom directed at "The Goons " (Capita employees ) on TVLR is unbelievable. Apparently I myself am now classified as a hated "Goon " and in danger of an assault ! because I shove a few TV licence reminders through the letter box now and again.
    Good, i m going to request from my boss as many TV Licence reminders as possible to hand deliver
    Its quite obvious that many members on TVLR also "revel " in how they are "putting one over " the hated BBC by thieving the TV licence costs and continuing to view scheduled live and BBC broadcasts. You ( CC ) are on record of discussing Top Gear TV program a few times but as it was before the September 2016 deadline for iplayer rules I will accept that it was a legal iplayer viewing.
    Morally though i don`t think you should be happily watching the hated BBC content then condemning them continually. Likewise daily versions of Channel 4 news, on catch up of course. legally correct, morally wrong.
    Very amusing to hear James O Brian utterly demolishing you on his radio show in about 2 minutes flat lol. Your fellow forum members just shrugged it off and accused him of being a leftie BBC man and of course boosting your ego as per usual. Take it from me , you did nt do very well ! you were OK with the other radio hosts I must admit.
    and by the way , Why do you care so much ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure