PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants should have 'default right' to pets.......

Options

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, and your comment about tenants working harder was inflammatory. Just because some is a tenant does not mean they don't work hard.

:huh:

I didn't say someone who is a tenant doesn't work hard, you've assumed I meant that and resorted to name calling to make a point. There are people who chose to rent, nothing wrong with that, who if labour got their way could see increase costs because of the few.

Simply put, if you want to dictate your own living terms, then put yourself in a position to. Working harder/smart may be a flippant remark but it is one way, IMHO of course. And just for Pixie's benefit, renters: you can of course work hard and choose to rent, I'm not trying to arouse angry of violent feelings in you. Should you need my validation of course :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    we must think about the small landlord

I think anything that makes it less profitable and harder for them to be landlords so that they are more likely to give it up and get a proper job can only be a good thing!
  • Daydreambeliever
    Options
    It makes me ever so sad the negative view some landlords may hold on prospective tenants who have pets, although of course I do understand that some Landlords may have had bad experiences with tenants not being upfront and damage being done. I have been renting since my relationship broke down 13 years ago, unfortunately not in a position to buy. We had two cats and when we sold the house and the relationship ended they came with me, one cat is still with me to this day (now 15), my 18 year old died last month. Thankfully, the three properties I have rented in that time, the Landlords have had no problem with me having my cats, and I could never bear to be parted from them and if that restricts me on property going forward so be it. I would never dream of not being upfront with a Landlord and it is their choice and I respect that. I do work very hard Ozzuk and wish with all my heart I could buy a property but, unfortunately, as I am approaching 50 and not in a position to save the large deposit, I realise that won't happen. But I am a good tenant, work hard and keep my home tidy and would never want to rent a property which held such restrictions. Will be very pleased if this comes into force, although it has to work for both sides. It must be awful for people to have to give up their pets when their situation changes and they have to rent. Life can change in a second and people often end up renting through no other choice. I hope that Landlords can look at each situation and not completely discriminate against pet owners.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 2:45PM
    Options
    Not all tenants with pets leave a property damaged. Fortunately my ex found that while not a single LA would even take him as a prospective tenant, out of three properties he applied for through OpenRent he was offered two. Him having two dogs (he's a dog handler so essential to his employment at which he does very well so of good status) wasn't a problem. And it has a shower room I'd die for lol (fancy one) lol. So dealing direct with LL's can be an answer. The rent was reasonable too.

If a LL has doubts as to this, they could always go to the property the prospective tenant is renting to see how they live. Minimising risk.
  • ellisbirt
    Options
    I am a landlord, of an apartment I previously lived in for 21 years.

I work hard to maintain the apartment in a good standard with new carpets fitted a a year ago. Some small pets can have no detrimental effect on the property and I would not stand in the way of a tenant having them.

Dogs and cats, however, can, in the hands of a less than conscientious owner, cause significant damage requiring deep cleaning or replacement and redecoration that would cost more than the security deposit. With a suitable deposit I would be willing to allow dogs or cats but With the one month rent cap on the value of security deposits announced in the Queen's Speech I am unlikely to agree.

On a second note: many rented properties do not have a garden. Keeping a dog or cat in such is far from ideal because they do not have access to an outdoor space. Letting a cat roam across other peoples' gardens can lead to territorial issues and damage to those gardens.

This needs to be seriously thought through because Tax and stamp duty changes have already resulted in a reduction in the number of landlords entering the buy-to-let sector. Increase the risk to landlords and many will pull-out leading to increases in rent for those remaining properties.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ellisbirt wrote: »
    I am a landlord, of an apartment I previously lived in for 21 years.

I work hard to maintain the apartment in a good standard with new carpets fitted a a year ago. Some small pets can have no detrimental effect on the property and I would not stand in the way of a tenant having them.

Dogs and cats, however, can, in the hands of a less than conscientious owner, cause significant damage requiring deep cleaning or replacement and redecoration that would cost more than the security deposit. With a suitable deposit I would be willing to allow dogs or cats but With the one month rent cap on the value of security deposits announced in the Queen's Speech I am unlikely to agree.

On a second note: many rented properties do not have a garden. Keeping a dog or cat in such is far from ideal because they do not have access to an outdoor space. Letting a cat roam across other peoples' gardens can lead to territorial issues and damage to those gardens.

This needs to be seriously thought through because Tax and stamp duty changes have already resulted in a reduction in the number of landlords entering the buy-to-let sector. Increase the risk to landlords and many will pull-out leading to increases in rent for those remaining properties.
    I mostly agreed with you except the last bit: there is no reason to believe this would happen, those properties would be either bought by other LLs or by tenants (thereby driving down demand)
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    It's always hard for tenant and LL to see it from the others side. As a LL you think well I have my pick of tenants so I'll go with the lower (perceived) risk option of no pets if I can. A tenant feels they are unfairly treated as they know their cat/dog is fine and doesn't claw the walls/carpets etc or have little accidents.

As with most things the few spoil it for the many. So one bad story or experience with tenants and pets will stop a LL renting to others in the future.

I bought a house that clearly locked the poor dog up in the kitchen all day (I saw no sign of dog anywhere else in the house). But the back door was clawed and frame chewed and wrecked, massive badly repaired hole in the wall from scratching, and the other internal door and frame destroyed by teeth marks and claws - so to me I wouldn't rent to a dog owner in case that's how they kept the dog. Once the tenant is in it's months of damage being done before you can evict and I get a hefty repair bill the deposit won't touch the sides of. But we've owned plenty of cats with no issue. So we allow our tenant to rent with their cat, but it was very much a case by case basis as we advertised as 'no pets'.
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    I can see both sides of the argument, and I am an animal lover, but don't have any pets at the moment.

On a lighter note, if this comes in, I'll be looking for the popcorn, as I'm sure we'll see more classic posts like the Wolfdog one, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677235 and the dead dog in the bag for life, which will keep us all amused.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Woof woof!

Think someone needs to think the detail through: One well-behaved stick-insect in a glass aquarium is fine, but 7 incontinent rottweillers with behavioral issues might be regarded as a nuisance by neighbours...

Fraternally yours..
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woof woof!

Think someone needs to think the detail through: One well-behaved stick-insect in a glass aquarium is fine, but 7 incontinent rottweillers with behavioral issues might be regarded as a nuisance by neighbours...

Fraternally yours..

I love my dogs to bits, but they aren't conducive to a tidy house and have at times caused some quite expensive damage. They are worth it though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure