PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants should have 'default right' to pets.......

Options

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Provided it doesn't contravene the building regulations, and that tenants are prepared to front a much larger deposit to cover the increased likelihood of damage, then I don't think this is unreasonable.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    Perhaps they should work harder, buy their own place then they can do what they want! And I say that as a dog owner (couldn't be without them) and I see the damage/mess they can cause.

Another crazy idea.

D- for your trolling effort. Besides even when people do buy their own homes that still doesn't mean to say they can do what they want. As pointed out above someone may buy the leasehold but the lease prohibits them from having pets or even if someone buys a freehold property there could be something in the deeds which prevents them from keeping pets in the property.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2018 at 11:20AM
    Options
    ...tenants are prepared to front a much larger deposit to cover the increased likelihood of damage,...

That's exactly what I was thinking, certainly as a prerequisite anyway. Still not sure about the 'right' though.

I don't have any personal experience of this issue, but my parents did many years ago. The tenant had a dog and left the flat in a disgusting state. The whole place needed "fumigation", deep cleaning, and the carpets had to be replaced.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Provided it doesn't contravene the building regulations, and that tenants are prepared to front a much larger deposit to cover the increased likelihood of damage, then I don't think this is unreasonable.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, certainly as a prerequisite anyway. Still not sure about the 'right' though.

What happens if the tenant chooses to get a pet after the tenancy has started?

Landlords need to be careful how large a deposit they ask tenants to pay. Anything which equates to more than 1/6 of the annual rent i.e. over 2 months and a premium tenancy will be created.

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2012/02/09/five-premium-tenancy-questions-answered/
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    What happens if the tenant chooses to get a pet after the tenancy has started?

Landlords need to be careful how large a deposit they ask tenants to pay. Anything which equates to more than 1/6 of the annual rent i.e. over 2 months and a premium tenancy will be created.

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2012/02/09/five-premium-tenancy-questions-answered/

Fair points! :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    I've never understood why as a tenant someone would limit their choice and likelihood of gaining a nice rental in a sparse market by owning a pet. I mean I understand people love their animals, and many of us would love to own a pet.....but they are a luxury item, not an essential item. You do not need a pet. Just another thing that people see as their 'right' in the modern world. So yes, of course you can have a pet, but don't expect a landlord to want to let it wreck their house and investment and you should fully expect to be turned down for the better houses and have less choice than a non pet owner. This is none of the governments business.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a landlord of a fourth floor flat. A few years ago, a tenant introduced a cat to the property without my knowledge and against both her tenancy agreement and my leaseholder agreement with the freeholder.

I mistakenly didn't ask her to remove the cat or herself.

The cat scratched all the wallpaper in every room. And by scratched, I mean great big tears in the wallpaper. The cat managed to get out or was let out into the communal corridor, where it scratched and put great tears in wallpaper.

So I had to pay to redecorate my place and also redecorate the corridor.
    I can't remember how much of that I got back from the deposit because the redecoration costs was in the thousands.

So what happens if there is a bigger deposit but this is insufficient to repair any damage? A court case? Oh joy!
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I've never understood why as a tenant someone would limit their choice and likelihood of gaining a nice rental in a sparse market by owning a pet. I mean I understand people love their animals, and many of us would love to own a pet.....but they are a luxury item, not an essential item. You do not need a pet. Just another thing that people see as their 'right' in the modern world. So yes, of course you can have a pet, but don't expect a landlord to want to let it wreck their house and investment and you should fully expect to be turned down for the better houses and have less choice than a non pet owner. This is none of the governments business.

Have you ever considered that peoples circumstances can change?

That they may end up having to rent out of necessity rather than choice when they already have a pet?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tenants have a default right to have parties, smoke and keep pets already.

Any clause that forbids any of the above and does not include the wording (without permission, not to be unreasonably withheld) are automatically void.

The issue is, as always, s.21 eviction.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    Nor the LLS, unless the tenant doesn't clean and repair any damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure