IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPCM PCN "Outside of Marked Bay"

Options
louiemiro
louiemiro Posts: 48 Forumite
edited 7 February 2018 at 10:55AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello. I've scoured some, but not found any threads on this.
in mid Jan got a UKCPM PCN stuck to car, in a carpark outside Halfords, Pavilion Retail Park, Brighton, BN2 3QA. This is a site with no overhead cameras as far as can be seen.

Sadly, before leaving foolishly someone didn't read that the ticket was for parking "outside of a marked bay".
That someone had looked at the ticket for a long time at home, realising that the times observed and times of issue were well within the allowed stay time, and concluded.... They've made a boo boo!
Then "someone" saw that they weren't issuing for being over time, but for parking "outside of a marked bay". This flabbergasted all concerned as "someone" is usually a stickler for being IN a bay.
The carpark was almost completely empty when car arrived (a sunday) and someone may not have been absolutely perfectly careful about exact position as someone usually is... but likely no more than a fraction of an inch here perhaps in an almost completely empty car park? Come on!?

Later saw the reason for issue at home, and realised someone hadn't photos of the exact position of the car before someone had driven it away.

Someone is Sure the car WAS in a bay, or if not, was only slightly out, AND there was (we have images for proof) a long and 18" wide strip of concrete "bandage" over one of the lines of the bay (which obscured the line). that someone is sure they parked in.

Someone's (rarely attached) cycle rack could have been sticking out the back of the bay a bit they suppose, but cycle racks on cars? do people get tickets for those?

Someone went in the Halfords on the Monday, they said they couldn't have the company recind the ticket, but they kindly checked their security (not parking) CCTV camera (A low level cam within which said car sadly juuust didn't feature in at the angle it was on their building ) to try to provide me with evidence (a print-out of a screenshot) of the driver's correct parking. They couldn't. They showed the best shot their cam could offer, and the car was just out of it's angle of view.

So... The only evidence therefore of the car being, or not being, over any lines must be held by any hand held camera of this seemingly overzealous attendant IF he/she had one, held it, pointed it and used it.

This evidence hasn't been presented yet (If it exists)
Doth one ignore, or send an appeal? If so... does the someone write a letter... or use their appeals process?

Sorry if this asks ALL the same questions as in other threads, someone is green and have no real experience fighting appeals.

Thanks in advance. Happy to be shouted at and treated as a child. Go.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:24AM
    Options
    Delete all of that and start again. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper. Never reveal the identity of the driver. Never say who did what.

Do it now!

Then, read the Sticky thread for NEWBIEs before sending the appeal template you will find there.

Do not come back here until you have edited your original post!

Start by deleting everything, rewriting something like, editing in process, and click save. The start all over again.

Don't hang about. DO IT NOW! Parking scammers read these fora.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Halfords, Pavilion Retail Park, Brighton, BN2 3QA
    I am familiar with the location.

We are familiar with this scam industry! No appeal will work but Halfords CAN rescind it.

Do read the NEWBIES FAQS sticky thread, and send the template appeal even though it won't stop the firm, it does send them a message that you are on MSE and looks better if they later try a small claim (very defendable).

No saying or implying who parked, no adding words to the template appeal. Yes it does fit your circs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great. Another motorist who comes on, makes a post, then baggers off without waiting for a reply.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of hundred yards from The Gladstone pub.

How appropriate. :D
  • louiemiro
    Options
    Fruitcake

"Great. Another motorist who comes on, makes a post, then baggers off without waiting for a reply."

Thanks muchly for your help and advice, but... Give me break. I haven't boggared off. I need to sleep as have small children to care for early in morn, so 1am forums ain't my ting.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @louiemiro

If you pass that way again, can you get a pic of the signs. There is no reason NOT to park outside the bay unless the signs specifically restrict it. It is always down to the wording on the signs, whether the signs they say were there were in fact there, and if they have a valid contract for the site.

So can you get a pic of the signs.

PS An additional point is how far out of the bay as sometimes it is "de minimis" - so small it doesn't bare making a fuss about.
  • louiemiro
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I am familiar with the location.

We are familiar with this scam industry! No appeal will work but Halfords CAN rescind it.

Do read the NEWBIES FAQS sticky thread, and send the template appeal even though it won't stop the firm, it does send them a message that you are on MSE and looks better if they later try a small claim (very defendable).

No saying or implying who parked, no adding words to the template appeal. Yes it does fit your circs.

Thank you Coupon.
    Where to find Any threads (it's a bit of a jungle) that deal with either that retail park, that Halfords,? The woman there we spoke to a said she was duty manager and couldn't recind. Best next steps suggestions welcomed for that line of approach (as well as appeal).
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you read the NEWBIES thread, as told?

The actual circumstances are mostly irrelevant, hence why there is atemplate appeal

if you really want to look, then use the forum search BY POST using sensible search terms 0- you need ot only return the posts, otherwise you get large numbers of threads when all you want is the individual entry.
  • louiemiro
    Options
    @louiemiro

If you pass that way again, can you get a pic of the signs. There is no reason NOT to park outside the bay unless the signs specifically restrict it. It is always down to the wording on the signs, whether the signs they say were there were in fact there, and if they have a valid contract for the site.

So can you get a pic of the signs.

PS An additional point is how far out of the bay as sometimes it is "de minimis" - so small it doesn't bare making a fuss about.

Good morning and thanks. We do have pics of signs and yes they state no parking outside. bays.
  • louiemiro
    Options
    Have you read the NEWBIES thread, as told?

The actual circumstances are mostly irrelevant, hence why there is atemplate appeal

if you really want to look, then use the forum search BY POST using sensible search terms 0- you need ot only return the posts, otherwise you get large numbers of threads when all you want is the individual entry.

Thanks Noseratu I'll try again. Navigating forum fiddly nearly as navigating PCN's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure