PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    They don't actually need to raise rates as they have now stopped quantitative easing, they know they can always restart that.

I disagree, when the next crash comes (and they have a few years yet) then they will need to use all the tools in their tool box. Knowing they've already got the tools in use won't leave them enough tools to get the job done. QE is a useful tool but not enough on its own.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is about the only sensible thing I've seen you write. Having said that I don't think the rate rise will come quite yet but yes they need to get a wriggle on. I'm not sure it will affect too many as people are moving to fixed rates in anticipation.

Try reading more carefully, and with an open mind :) Future buyers can`t move to fixed rates, and it is them that dictate future prices.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree, when the next crash comes (and they have a few years yet) then they will need to use all the tools in their tool box. Knowing they've already got the tools in use won't leave them enough tools to get the job done. QE is a useful tool but not enough on its own.

I think the when is subjective, it could be in 2 months time it could be in 20years time... I am sure the BoE will want to raise rates but it will happen slowly as they will not want to have a negative effect on the economy, with Brexit coming up business has enough uncertainty to deal with without rates rising fast...

I dont disagree they will rise to about 2-3% if they can over the next 5-10years, but they have not raised rates in 10years and I can't see the thought processes has suddenly changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure