PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market?

Options

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    MF2015 wrote: »
    Good, hope Carney holds off on the interest rate increase for another month so I can secure a 10 year fix. That should just about seen me to mortgage freedom and worry free days. :beer:

Same here Im hoping to get moved into a new house and remortgage to a long term fix this summer. I cant see them raising it now been some bad news the last couple of days
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With the Q1 GDP numbers looking weak, I wouldn't be shocked if they held off on a May rise now, probably very much in the balance now.

At the start of the year I would have said 1-3 interest rises rises this year, maybe 0-2 is more realistic now, definitely seeing some patches of weakness in the UK and also EU economy, especially when compared to a relatively bullish outlook at the turn of the year.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they don`t get some hikes in there is nowhere to cut to when the recession starts, then they look even more useless:rotfl:
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    If they don`t get some hikes in there is nowhere to cut to when the recession starts, then they look even more useless:rotfl:

So are you actually going to make a realistic prediction of a rate rise in May.... That is may 2018, and a BoE rate rise... Don't want you trying to move the goalposts again...
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As the name implies, Carney runs a side show tent, not the Big Top ;)

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-12/why-the-world-is-watching-u-s-interest-rates
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    As the name implies, Carney runs a side show tent, not the Big Top ;)

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-12/why-the-world-is-watching-u-s-interest-rates

What a surprise you back out of actually putting your money where you mouth is... You have spent too long on HPC pretending that somehow every little move is about to lead to some massive crash.

U.S interest rates have a tiny relevance to uk house prices, they are so far removed, if your banking on this to lead Carney to raise the rates I think you are going to be disappointed, the FED have been raising rates since 2016, we are still at the same interest rates we were and it has had no effect on uk house prices.
  • TF03
    TF03 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Market seems to be very slow in our area (Kent/Sussex border). Lots of property been on the market for a long time, reductions happening frequently and two estate agents saying to us it's a buyers market currently.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

This is about the only sensible thing I've seen you write. Having said that I don't think the rate rise will come quite yet but yes they need to get a wriggle on. I'm not sure it will affect too many as people are moving to fixed rates in anticipation.
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    This is about the only sensible thing I've seen you write. Having said that I don't think the rate rise will come quite yet but yes they need to get a wriggle on. I'm not sure it will affect too many as people are moving to fixed rates in anticipation.

They don't actually need to raise rates as they have now stopped quantitative easing, they know they can always restart that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure