PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market?

Options

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    firely2327 wrote: »

But unless you can transport the house out of the area you have to discount for the area??

Wow, I actually agree with you on something!

The rest though, I think its time you change your user name to "Crashy Some Time Maybe"

Light hearted poke of fun.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ozzuk wrote: »

Wow, I actually agree with you on something!

The rest though, I think its time you change your user name to "Crashy Some Time Maybe"

Light hearted poke of fun.

That`s not my quote though.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MF2015 wrote: »
    I can’t account for any reduced prices, overpriced sellers trying the market occur all the time.

But I can disprove your previous post with regards to Cambridge students living in university accommodation. There’s a lot of very wealthy parents, the kind that dropping £500k on a terraced house for their little cherub and for a place for them to stay when they visit is small change.

These may be students in education at Anglia Ruskin or other education establishments around Cambridge but are not officially Cambridge University students, those are almost always housed in college accommodation that is after all what a college is, a dorm house with a tutor attached while education takes place in faculties.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/why-cambridge/student-life/accommodation
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    So U.S rates rising can just be discounted as people keep borrowing bubble money for houses :rotfl: Remind me to never take financial advice from you ;)

U.S rate rises will effect us much less than european rate rises and more importantly BoE rates... Anybody borrowing should make sure they can afford the debt if rates rise...

There are different types of borrowing;-

There is borrowing to buy a flash car, this is a luxury, there is no saving and it does not make you any money, this is the riskiest of all borrowing and personally I would avoid this sort of debt.

There is borrowing to buy a home, although this does not generate any money it does save you money in rent, this is where you make a mistake thinking of this debt the same as the above, this debt should not be avoided but care should be taken to make sure you can afford the repayments but in the long run will almost certainly do you well.

Then there is borrowing that makes you money, Tesla is a fine example of this, they don't actually make any profit and never have but the debt they have is not actually a problem as the debt has been used to create future profit.

It shows how wrong you are that you don't want to take advice from a millionaire entrepreneur, instead you take your own advice, that advice that saw you not buy and rent instead, probably the worst and most uninformed decision you have ever made. Now you are left coming on here trying in some vein obscure way trying to talk down the market. Why don't you go back to HPC where the looneys are, you will fit in much better.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    U.S rate rises will effect us much less than european rate rises and more importantly BoE rates... Anybody borrowing should make sure they can afford the debt if rates rise...

There are different types of borrowing;-

There is borrowing to buy a flash car, this is a luxury, there is no saving and it does not make you any money, this is the riskiest of all borrowing and personally I would avoid this sort of debt.

There is borrowing to buy a home, although this does not generate any money it does save you money in rent, this is where you make a mistake thinking of this debt the same as the above, this debt should not be avoided but care should be taken to make sure you can afford the repayments but in the long run will almost certainly do you well.

Then there is borrowing that makes you money, Tesla is a fine example of this, they don't actually make any profit and never have but the debt they have is not actually a problem as the debt has been used to create future profit.

It shows how wrong you are that you don't want to take advice from a millionaire entrepreneur, instead you take your own advice, that advice that saw you not buy and rent instead, probably the worst and most uninformed decision you have ever made. Now you are left coming on here trying in some vein obscure way trying to talk down the market. Why don't you go back to HPC where the looneys are, you will fit in much better.

A "millionaire entrepreneur" who thinks houses don`t generate any money? What do you think the housing bubble that got us into this mess was based on, people enjoying DIY? :) The problem starts when the pyramid runs out of new mugs though, that`s when central banks have to step in with massive stimulus to keep it all afloat...You also must be one of the few millionaires who doesn`t understand the significance of U.S policy makers signalling rate rises.........and more importantly the MARKET signalling rate rises...:)
  • MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    These may be students in education at Anglia Ruskin or other education establishments around Cambridge but are not officially Cambridge University students, those are almost always housed in college accommodation that is after all what a college is, a dorm house with a tutor attached while education takes place in faculties.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/why-cambridge/student-life/accommodation
    Just because they offer almost all 3 year students accommodation doesn't mean they all take it up, what about those doing Masters and PHD's?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Just because they offer almost all 3 year students accommodation doesn't mean they all take it up, what about those doing Masters and PHD's?

Of course some students take up places in shared/private flats, but the bubbles in Cambridge and Oxford are driven by more than students, and are way out of line with local incomes?
  • MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Of course some students take up places in shared/private flats, but the bubbles in Cambridge and Oxford are driven by more than students, and are way out of line with local incomes?

There is no bubble, it!!!8217;s supply and demand. I live in a village to the south of Cambridge that is popular with those from Cambridge and commuters from London. A house down the street has just sold for 43% more than it went for in 2012. The only change is a conservatory added on.

We are still away off from 2008 prices in many parts of the country though. I know this as I only just broke even on a property I bought in 2008 last year and I!!!8217;m currently about to sell another property I bought a few years ago fo30% less than the house I sold next door to it in 2008.

But houses in good areas of the country have quite a way to fall to get back to 2008 levels. I!!!8217;m sitting on a 100% increase since 2012 though have built two extensions in that time costing 30% of the original house purchase. I!!!8217;ve done very well, my mortgage is peanuts compared to the rent I!!!8217;d pay and even if the house lost 40% of it!!!8217;s value over night I!!!8217;d still be massively better off than had we rented for that time.

Happy days. :T:T:T

To the original OP, have a look at the villages south of Cambridge, you may pick up a house a little way from the stations and Saffron Walden and the surrounding area has fantastic schools.
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Things are probably very regional, but in my neck of the woods in the North West prices have shot up 15-20% in the last couple of years and properties are being snapped up.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    There is no bubble, it!!!8217;s supply and demand. I live in a village to the south of Cambridge that is popular with those from Cambridge and commuters from London. A house down the street has just sold for 43% more than it went for in 2012. The only change is a conservatory added on.

We are still away off from 2008 prices in many parts of the country though. I know this as I only just broke even on a property I bought in 2008 last year and I!!!8217;m currently about to sell another property I bought a few years ago fo30% less than the house I sold next door to it in 2008.

But houses in good areas of the country have quite a way to fall to get back to 2008 levels. I!!!8217;m sitting on a 100% increase since 2012 though have built two extensions in that time costing 30% of the original house purchase. I!!!8217;ve done very well, my mortgage is peanuts compared to the rent I!!!8217;d pay and even if the house lost 40% of it!!!8217;s value over night I!!!8217;d still be massively better off than had we rented for that time.

Happy days. :T:T:T

To the original OP, have a look at the villages south of Cambridge, you may pick up a house a little way from the stations and Saffron Walden and the surrounding area has fantastic schools.

Wow! How awesome! :) Wages and sales transactions must be soaring :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport