PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market?

Options

Comments

• MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! How awesome! :) Wages and sales transactions must be soaring :T

They are certainly keeping me very comfortable.
  • destroycarthage
    Options
    To rent or buy in DC. That is the question.
  • MF2015
    Options
    To rent or buy in DC. That is the question.

Washington?
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    I had my house on the market for a month. Got 3 viewings no offers. Dropped the price £15k and sold (sstc) in 4 days. You just have to get the price right. Oh and this price is £20k under the estate agents suggested price.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    I had my house on the market for a month. Got 3 viewings no offers. Dropped the price £15k and sold (sstc) in 4 days. You just have to get the price right. Oh and this price is £20k under the estate agents suggested price.

Smart move.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    Options
    MF2015 wrote: »
    They are certainly keeping me very comfortable.

Never get that’s complacent!

I own several properties as well as the one I live in Cambridge city as well as one detached house in a village just south of Cambridge (Stapleford) while I agree prices are holding up I also note that the two houses I see for sale in that village have reduced their asking prices.

It matters not to me as unlike you I have no mortgages but i don’t know the worth of anything until I sell it so would not count myself as comfortable until a price has been achieved.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »

I had a similar scenario, steady stream of viewings, but not spectacular numbers. Positive feedback post-viewing, but it always seemed my house was second on the list (been there, done that as a buyer). I *think* part of the reason I didn't have viewers knocking my door down is that there are 15 steps up to the house (ironic this, as I live in a valley!) I think a non-level plot is a "computer says No" tickbox for quite a few potential buyers.

I dropped the asking price by just £5k, and ironically have just sold it for the amount I was hoping for originally (was 4% over asking)! The small drop in price just seemed to get more feet through the door and once someone fell in love with it (actually, two people at the same time), it sold.

There are generalisations regarding house selling, but each situation is specific. I wasn't in a huge rush to sell, so didn't panic in terms of a drastic drop in asking price, or in accepting a silly offer.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • MF2015
    edited 26 April 2018 at 5:07PM
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    Never get that!!!8217;s complacent!

I own several properties as well as the one I live in Cambridge city as well as one detached house in a village just south of Cambridge (Stapleford) while I agree prices are holding up I also note that the two houses I see for sale in that village have reduced their asking prices.

It matters not to me as unlike you I have no mortgages but i don!!!8217;t know the worth of anything until I sell it so would not count myself as comfortable until a price has been achieved.
    I!!!8217;m not looking to sell for the next 15 years minimum, by what time it will be paid off.

The plan is then to go back to Yorkshire and retire at 55 if we are so inclined with a decent pot from the house due to cheaper houses up north and good pensions.

Prices don!!!8217;t matter to me in the short term, overpaying is the future goal.

I!!!8217;m currently putting decent amounts into the pension and planning to over pay the mortgage in a few months time once we have landscaped the gardens.

I couldn!!!8217;t rent for the price of the mortgage hence been comfortable versus renting.
  • MF2015
    Options

Good, hope Carney holds off on the interest rate increase for another month so I can secure a 10 year fix. That should just about seen me to mortgage freedom and worry free days. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure