I knew this one was coming...*Paypal case now open

edited 1 February 2018 at 10:18PM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
37 replies 6.1K views
davemortondavemorton Forumite
28.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker!
✭✭✭✭✭
Sold an item last week on ebay. For some reason, after it sold, I checked the buyers 'feedback to others' and out of the last ten feedbacks, 8 were negative. These ranged from item only lasted 1/2 days, to item not received and wrong item sent.

So, got the email I was expecting today... "You have sent me a different item to the one you photographed, I want a refund."
So I replied that that would not be a problem at all, if they just open a dispute in the resolution centre, I will be happy to accept a return.

They then messaged back saying " Send me a return's slip". I again advised the buyer to open a case and one will be provided.

I know I am going to end up getting shafted here, but is there anything else I can do to limit the damage? TIA

Update: Paypal case has now been opened.
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear. No, you've done the right thing. Remain polite and professional and await the return (hopefully it won't happen).

In the meantime, check the address is 100% and if it isn't report the buyer. Report them for whatever you can find. And block. Good luck with the outcome and do keep us updated.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just hint you had issues sending a refund and you spoke to ebay and they said to tell them they have to open a case through ebay.

Nice and polite saying you have never had that happen before, have yopu returned many items?

May play on them ebay are watching.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just hint you had issues sending a refund and you spoke to ebay and they said to tell them they have to open a case through ebay.

Nice and polite saying you have never had that happen before, have yopu returned many items?

May play on them ebay are watching.

No need to lie. Tell them to open a case.
  • DoxDox Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No need to lie. Tell them to open a case.

Quite - don't complicate it needlessly.
  • edited 31 January 2018 at 11:08PM
    davemortondavemorton Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 January 2018 at 11:08PM
    They dont seem to understand when I ask them to open a case, as they have just sent another message asking for a returns slip.
    He should be able to understand, as he isnt daft. Looking at the website of his shop, he is a Chartered Accountant, and has many other quals including a law degree A clever cookie all round. Not the profile I would have expected if I am being honest.
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar but for change of mind. About a month of asking for return address every couple of days. Told them to open a return every time. I am not bothered normally about opening a return but paranoid about giving address out and Ebay thinking I am selling offline. I even sent my address to their PayPal e-mail address but still kept asking me through Ebay. Had 1000+ feedback as a buyer only so must know how it all works.

The thing was that in the end they sent an e-mail about it being the worst service they had received but they never left any feedback. So you never know.
  • davemortondavemorton Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I had a similar but for change of mind. About a month of asking for return address every couple of days. Told them to open a return every time. I am not bothered normally about opening a return but paranoid about giving address out and Ebay thinking I am selling offline. I even sent my address to their PayPal e-mail address but still kept asking me through Ebay. Had 1000+ feedback as a buyer only so must know how it all works.

The thing was that in the end they sent an e-mail about it being the worst service they had received but they never left any feedback. So you never know.

Oh, I am sure feedback will be left. He certainly knows how to leave bad feedback (about 80% bad feedback left).
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    davemorton wrote: »
    He should be able to understand, as he isnt daft. Looking at the website of his shop, he is a Chartered Accountant, and has many other quals including a law degree A clever cookie all round. Not the profile I would have expected if I am being honest.
    Is that genuine stuff or something put out for people to find to "prove" they're on the level?

I'd report to Ebay too, just mention their feedback left for others and that you are concerned there may be a problem.
  • davemorton wrote: »
    They dont seem to understand when I ask them to open a case, as they have just sent another message asking for a returns slip.

See if he appears on the register of chartered accountants

http://membersearch.icaew.com/Home/SearchMember?SearchMemberTown=&SearchMemberCounty=&SearchMemberCountry=United+Kingdom

If he does appear, let him know you have reported him to his professional body.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Often there's a reason why they don't want to open a case. I posted on here about a year ago with a similar scenario, buyer left loads of negs and also positives with comments like 'thank you for resolving my issue'.

We went round in circles about opening a case, I struck to my guns- no case = no refund, it went on for a while and then it just stopped. No case was ever opened and no feedback was ever left.

Stick to your guns, if they ask again tell them to contact eBay to get assistance with opening the returns case.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals