My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So pleased to read how much better you feel. I am also immensely jealous of the riding experience, what a lovely present. I am planning another trip to Scotland in the summer and hope me and the girl can do another beach gallop.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So pleased to read how much better you feel. I am also immensely jealous of the riding experience, what a lovely present. I am planning another trip to Scotland in the summer and hope me and the girl can do another beach gallop.
    Thanks I'm really looking forward to it,beach rides are so much fun :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today has been a slow day,I,woke up this morning feeling tired and I'm still tired now,,I did manage to do a load of washing and hang it out to dry but that's all the house stuff I've done today
    DD2 told me about the Libby app today where you can downmload books from your local library so I've downloaded that to my iPad as I read a lot and it's free,I had to go and get a PIN number from the library though so popped into town, DD1and 2 came with me as they needed some bits of shopping and we went for a coffee in the library cafe,we were talking about money etc and DD1 told me she has £3000 on her credit card,I was gobsmacked because she has gone on and on at me about not overusing my credit card and how irresponsible it is and now she is doing the same,I haven't told her about my current situation because she would go mad at me but apparently it's ok for her to do it,she also lives in her OD too so is on a slippery slope,of course it's up to her how she spends her money but she needs to stop being so judgemental of other people when she is in debt too

I came home to log into the Libby app and it won't let me because I owe late fees on my books that total £5.75 so I have to go back in tomorrow to pay that before I can use it,it's annoying because I was in the library today and could have paid it but didn't realise

I have done my banking today and I have money left after all the bills have come out so i was able to transfer £50 into the Xmas savings account,I now have £150 saved up for Xmas and it's only April,I'm so pleased with this as Xmas usually goes on my credit card,this year is going to be budgeted for and im sticking to my budget too,if I carry on like this I will have £500 saved by November, what I'm having trouble getting my head around is why didn't I do this before,I am finding it so easy to save the money so why not do it before instead of running up credit I can't afford

I haven't put any money into the emergency fund this month mainly because my wages were messed up so I was short,I will get all that back next month though so I'm hoping to put more away next month,it currently stands at £300 and I'm happy with that considering I didn't have any emergency money when I started this journey,I'm using the money DD2s boyfriend gives me for rent to go into the emergency fund so by the time he leaves in September I should have £900 in that account, after he leaves I will not have as much money to save but I'm going to save every spare penny I can to make sure I have a good cushion if I need it,Im also going to put any bonus money in too,so if my mum gives me any treat money it's getting saved,also we have two months after Xmas with no council tax payments so that will go in,just adding that to the £900 will take me up to £1,210 so it's a good incentive to do it,I've never had this amount of money saved up
    Last night I did some of my sewing but made a mistake and had to unpick an hours worth of work,I managed to redo it but it was annoying,I'm planning on doing some more this evening as I need to get it finished

Tomorrow I'm meeting my mum for lunch and going back to the library to pay my fine,then on Sunday it's back to work for me:(

DD2 also downloaded an app onto my phone today from pizza express and you can get a free pizza,we are going into town on Monday because she needs some bits for her placement so I suggested we go and get free pizza for lunch instead of going to Costa like I normally would,we might buy a dessert though seeing as the main is free:rotfl:
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I love the progress you're making - I can almost see the savings pot as it will look after next February's pay day, already!

How annoying to have to unpick all that work. My friend took back a lot of rows on a jumper for me because she said it would be less stressful than me doing it for myself! One day I may be able to work out where I went wrong on a cross stitch that's ended up one stitch out of true and remained that way nearly 30 years. I have a feeling, though, that I will have to reinvent it slightly and adapt somewhere because I've searched and searched and can't find my mistake.

Enjoy your Saturday off!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I love the progress you're making - I can almost see the savings pot as it will look after next February's pay day, already!

How annoying to have to unpick all that work. My friend took back a lot of rows on a jumper for me because she said it would be less stressful than me doing it for myself! One day I may be able to work out where I went wrong on a cross stitch that's ended up one stitch out of true and remained that way nearly 30 years. I have a feeling, though, that I will have to reinvent it slightly and adapt somewhere because I've searched and searched and can't find my mistake.

Enjoy your Saturday off!
    I hate making a mistake and not being able to figure it out,thankfully this was really obvious so I managed to sort it out :)
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    wow get you and its only April

Well done on the EF and savings - I am very impressed

Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    wow get you and its only April

Well done on the EF and savings - I am very impressed

Sam x
    Thanks ,I'm hoping nothing major happens now so I don't have to use it :)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I have had a busy couple of days here,work on Sunday was busy and the time just flew by
    Ihad yesterday off and me and DD2 went into to town because she still needs some bits for her placement and we had an offer for a free pizza at Pizza Express so we went for our lunch there ,it was lovely but we were naughty and had a pudding as well, seeing as the pizza was free we thought we would treat ourselves so I had some yummy tiramisu
    Today is my day to look after DGS and we were supposed to be taking him out for the day to the Donkey Sanctuary because it's a nice day out and it's free to get in,but DD2 is still not feeling well with the cold we have all had and the weather isn't too great so we decided not to go today but we will go when she finishes her placement in June. DGS has gone for a nap so I'm having a sneaky cup of tea and a read of the forum,we might go for a walk along the river later to the quay where there are lots of little gift shops to browse in,it depends how DD2 feels and on the weather cheering up

As I mentioned previously I downloaded the Libby app on my iPad and yesterday I started reading a book they was part of a thing they do called The big Read they make the book available for a short time so that everyone around the world can read it at once, this book was called Flat Broke With Two Goats and its about a family who ended up in debt because of the financial crash in the USA,their house is repossessed and they have to move to a run down cabin in the woods,it's about how they change their lives to live a more frugal life and it's really really good,I read 12 chapters yesterday between 6 and midnight I just couldn't put it down,any way I logged in to carry on reading it and it's gone,the big read ended yesterday and now the book isn't a available unless you reserve it,so I can't finish it now,I tired to reserve it but I have to wait three days because it's only just been returned........I'm so annoyed that i forgot it ended yesterday because I wouldn't have started reading it in the first place,I'm going to have to place a hold on it so I can finish the book because I want to find out what happens next
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How very annoying! I struggle with my library app - it's not completely compatible with my Kindle so only certain books will download. The Kindle is five years old so I suppose it may not be the app's fault but I do buy quite a few books for it and I'd hoped to reduce spending by just borrowing.

Your borrowed book does sound like my sort of read! If I wait long enough it will probably turn up in the 99p downloads. :)

Hope all the colds are soon gone.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    How very annoying! I struggle with my library app - it's not completely compatible with my Kindle so only certain books will download. The Kindle is five years old so I suppose it may not be the app's fault but I do buy quite a few books for it and I'd hoped to reduce spending by just borrowing.

Your borrowed book does sound like my sort of read! If I wait long enough it will probably turn up in the 99p downloads. :)

Hope all the colds are soon gone.
    It was my fault really because the book was only out for everyone to read for a limited time and I just forgot,I think they do it every few months and it's like a book club so they announce the book and everyone can read it then there is a discussion about it after,I will put a hold on it and finish it as soon as I can
    I've got the app on my iPad and my phone and my daughter had it on her iPad phone and PC,she tried to download it onto her Kindle but it doesn't work
    I think I'm over the worst of my cold now,it's just an irritating cough that needs to clear up now,I've been find all day but I'm coughing a bit now,I d feel a lot better though
    Hope you and yours are ok too xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback