My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,119 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    You sound like you are on a roll, Onebrokelady. De-cluttering really lifts my spirits & makes me feel purposeful. I cleared out my wardrobe too, yesterday & tried on all my summer gear & I really enjoyed it. I even found a small unworn item with regifting potential. It's a sparkly item which I think I will give to an elderly relative......she's 85, but she does still go out a lot. Who'd have thought there'd have been a free Christmas present for someone lurking in there?!
    Your veggie recipes...Homity Pie, etc, are they from the 'Crank's' cookbook? I bought a copy of that when it first came out & I still make several of the recipes from it, as they are mostly cheap & are really filling. I also still make a few things from Rose Elliot's old paperback, 'Cheap & easy: Vegetarian cooking on a budget'......not that I'm a veggie, but mr f was, when he first moved in with me, & I've always eaten lots of meat-free meals.
    Anyway, I just stopped by to say how positive you're sounding.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on MBNA, the bus pass, the bargainaceous shirts and the Internet savings! Hoping Natwest see sense and the cold soon disappears...

Hope you have a good night's rest and feel better for it. :)
    Hi Cherry,I felt a ropey this morning but feel better this evening,I'm hoping it will clear off soon too :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    You seem to be on a roll,OB Lady,and definitely sound brighter. Well done. I'm sure all that decluttering decluttered your mind as well.:T Its surprising how the removal of old stuff lightens mind as well as body.
    Mr Dusty keeps shaking his head at me,he thinks I'm nuts because I cleared out my kitchen food cabinets and arranged the remainder neatly,a place for everything etc etc. Every time I open the cupboard I grin with pleasure and give a little nod to the little carton(it held pears at one time) which now corrals all those little odds and ends like oxo cubes,black and white pepper,saltcellar,and another which holds soy sauce,garlic sauce,vinegar No more rooting through the whole cupboard searching for something,and cleaning is easy,just lift out the whole carton and wipe. My kids just roll their eyes at weird mam,but it makes me happy!:rotfl::rotfl:
    Funny you should mention kitchen cupboards, I was eying mine up today,I like the sound of having a carton to put loose things in,Im going to have to investigate doing that
    When I was cleaning the house the other day I just kept thinking it would be so much easier to keep clean if I got rid of some bits I don't need ,I have bits on my kitchen shelves that are just ornamental and I am getting rid of them because they are just in the way,I want my kitchen to be functional and easy to keep clean,I get put off because I have to move all the bits so they are going,I've had a toast rack on my worktop for years that I bought as a joke for my daughter,no one uses it but it's sat there for years,today it's gone into the charity bag,every time I get rid of something I don't need I feel lighter and freer........it's great:T
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    I have a little plastic tub in the cupboard for Oxo cubes, and bits like that. Its a great idea. I also have one for crisps, 'cause I was sick of OH opening a multipack to take out 1 packet and then throwing the rest randomly in the cupboard. So now they are all stacked neatly one behind the other...
    I do have a tub especially for Oxo cubes that I got from the comapany years ago,it was one of those offers where you she dog the box with a receipt of seomthing and you got an" free" storage box,I've had since the early 80s:)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    You sound like you are on a roll, Onebrokelady. De-cluttering really lifts my spirits & makes me feel purposeful. I cleared out my wardrobe too, yesterday & tried on all my summer gear & I really enjoyed it. I even found a small unworn item with regifting potential. It's a sparkly item which I think I will give to an elderly relative......she's 85, but she does still go out a lot. Who'd have thought there'd have been a free Christmas present for someone lurking in there?!
    Your veggie recipes...Homity Pie, etc, are they from the 'Crank's' cookbook? I bought a copy of that when it first came out & I still make several of the recipes from it, as they are mostly cheap & are really filling. I also still make a few things from Rose Elliot's old paperback, 'Cheap & easy: Vegetarian cooking on a budget'......not that I'm a veggie, but mr f was, when he first moved in with me, & I've always eaten lots of meat-free meals.
    Anyway, I just stopped by to say how positive you're sounding.
    F
    Hi Foxgloves, well done on decluttering your wardrobe and finding a free pressy,Im definitely on a roll with the clearing out of stuff ,I'm planning to take something to the charity shop every time I go out,I'm going pet food shopping tomorrow so I'm taking more with me on the way,my house will be empty at this rate:rotfl:
    The Leek recipe and the Homity pie recipe are indeed from the Cranks book,I don't own it any more because I got rid of it when I decluttered the cupboard it was in ,I onlyused a few recipes from the book so I copied out the ones I like into my recipe folder and gave the book away,the Gnocchi recipe is from a book called The Busy Mums veggetarian Cookbook,it's quite a good one but it's my daughters so I will have to copy the recipes out from that one when she eventually moves out
    I've been a veggi since 2011 when I rehomed some exbatt chickens, it broke my heart when I saw the state they were in after they come out the farm so I looked into farming and I haven't eaten meat since,I have been tempted a few times especially since DDs boyfriend moved in because he eats meat and I miss it,but I just can't bring myself to eat it now:)
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 11 April 2018 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Got up bright and early this morning to take the cat to the vet,he has an ulcer on his cornea and has been having treatment for it for the last 4ish weeks,it's stil not healed though so he has to have more treatment and go back again next week,luckily it's my DDs cat and she has insurance so I'm not paying for it because the bill stand at £450 at the moment,we are hoping next week will show some improvement because if it doesn't get better he could lose his eye
    I love having pets and can't really imagine my world without but today I've been thinking that when the pets I have now are now longer with me I might not have any more,I've always had rescue dogs and was planning on buying my first puppy when I retire because I will be at home to train it and look after it properly but I'm wondering now if that's just not a good idea,I also have the chickens at the moment and they can be quite hard work in the winter,I love having them and getting the eggs knowing they have come from happy hens but as I get older I'm not sure I will be able to keep them, I definitely won't get another cat,my daughter talked me into rehoming the cat as a kitten and I love him dearly but I don't like the fact that he can go anywhere he pleases and frequently walks across my worktops after being god knows where,so definitely no more !!!!! cats for me,I just need to think carefully about the dog,I only got the dog I have now because a colleague split with his wife and had to give her away so I took her in because I'm too soft,I don't regret having her as she is such a lovely little dog and I wouldn't be without her now,she gives me a reason to go out for walks especially on days when I feel too down or in pain to do anything, I know I have to because she needs me but I'm not sure that's fair on the dog,I don't know how I'm going to be as I get older so I guess I will just have to wait and see......god this post does not sound very positive,I'm feeling really positive at the moment but the trip to the vet got me thinking this morning

In other really exciting news I have today booked to go riding Clydesdales up on Dartmoor,I came across Adventure Clydesdale last year and since then have been dreaming about going,so when my daughters asked me for ideas for my birthday in June I asked them for a two hour ride,I want experiences rather than things and this is perfect,I love the breed and the thought of getting to ride one is so exciting I can't stop smiling,so we phoned today and I am booked to go on July the 7th,I wanted to go last year but I wasn't sure if I was experienced enough,I've been back riding for 3 years this month and have graduated to a 16hh horse who is quite lively and can be a bit unpredictable when out on the roads or if he comes across something that he thinks might possibly kill him such as a squirrel:rotfl: I have managed him spooking twice now and stayed on and I have also discovered I have a need for speed and love a good flat out gallop,so I think I'm ready.........still can't stop smiling :j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,052 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What a fantastic present! And hopefully not too many killer squirrels on Dartmoor...

I think I'm going to pinch the idea of small boxes for odds and ends in the kitchen as the overflow of spice jars keep throwing themselves out of the cupboard at me.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    What a fantastic present! And hopefully not too many killer squirrels on Dartmoor...

I think I'm going to pinch the idea of small boxes for odds and ends in the kitchen as the overflow of spice jars keep throwing themselves out of the cupboard at me.

me too its a good idea :T
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Onebrokelady
    Options

I know it's great isn't it,Im so excited I made going to completely wish the summer away :rotfl:
    Its so funny seein a massive horse standing still snorting and prancing about because there is a tiny squirrel on the fence,you would think it was a large bear or something
    I love the idea of the boxes for storage,I have so many things that fall out the cupboards when I open the door
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Another productive day today, two loads of washing out drying on the line because it's a gorgeous sunny day here,I've dusted and hoovered downstairs so that's looking lovely and tidy for five minutes
    I've also been to the charity shop with some more stuff from the kitchen and spare room,I think if I keep pluggging away at it and take a little bit each time I go out I won't find it so overwhelming,the only problem I'm having is knowing when to stop as I keep seeing things around the house that I want to get rid of :rotfl:like I said before it's a beautiful day here today so my walk to the shop to get chicken food was quite pleasant,I get the bus half way because it's quite a treck from my house I also popped in and got dog food and then went to Aldi for some bits,I don't normally shop in Aldi because it's out of my way but I have to make more effort because the fruit and veg is just ridiculously cheap,I bumped into my mum and dad while I was out so we went for a coffee and chin wag and they gave me a lift home which was lovely because the chicken food is quite heavy,I carry it in a rucksack but it's still heavy to lug round,I buy my dog food at The Range as it's the cheapest place here and I'm proud to say I didn't have a look round I went straight in picked it up and left,I always browse in there and end up spending money on things I don't need but not today my friend :A

As I was walk g to the shops I got to thinking about how calm I feel at the moment,I really noticed it today,before my LBM I was walking round in a constant state of panic and just felt awful all the time,I know that some of the calmness I feel is down to being back on my meds but that's only a small part of it,I used to feel unhappy so I would spend then I would feel panicky because I had spent money I didn't have, this would be followed by guilt and a feeling of being really stupid, I would then vow not to do it again but would always end up spending more,since the LBM moment I have not spent anything on things I don't need and when I have had the urge to spend I've walked away to think about it and then changed my mind,I don't feel that same persistent urge to spend money anymore,I'm liking saving my pennies and seeing money in my bank and I like the feeling it gives me knowing that I have paid for two birthdays and Mother's Day and not used a CC or gone into debt for any of them,it's my DD1s birthday in June and I already have the money put by for that too......it's brilliant :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback