Looking to buy a new executive company car

Options

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd go for the one who's dealership is nearest.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    BMW 3 series are over hyped and they really do depreciate hugely. The Jag XE i dont really like. Particularly the cheaper ones with the smaller alloys. Horrible, and as i said a lot of complaints about the new petrol engines. The new XF is just a bigger XE. Last shape XF is a very nice car and the 3.0 S goes like nuts. In sport and dynamic mode you will struggle to stop the wheels spinning pulling away. Very nice interior too. my only gripe with mine is this constant nagging about not getting the XJ instead (more toys and even nicer interior).

If i was looking for something new of a similar standard it would be a Merc. CLS or E class i think. Very pretty cars, nice interior, not as much of a reputation for !!!!!! as BMW and not all that common on the streets. Another option would be a Volvo if its toys and really up to date tech you like.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd also see when the new A6 is due in the UK. There's supposed to be a new range of petrol TFSi models and if the tech upgrade is the same as they did for the A4 last year then it's going to be worth a look. I got mine new in September (diesel) and it eats the miles in comfort. Also don't where the previous poster got his info about wing mirrors not folding and park assist not working at low speed - no such issues with mine. Only criticism from me was the cost of the upgrades, can't fault the car itself...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Also don't where the previous poster got his info about wing mirrors not folding and park assist not working at low speed - no such issues with mine.
    That would be the Q3 that sits on my drive. I've got quite a long list of things that make me think "Why would they have made it work like that?"
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That would be the Q3 that sits on my drive. I've got quite a long list of things that make me think "Why would they have made it work like that?"

Fair enough - your original post didn't specify a model, just Audi in general. Certainly not got any of those issues with my A6.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd go for the Jag. Kia's name is still budget, although not budget prices any more and BMW's are, well, just BMW's........
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 8:51PM
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »

BMW 3 series are over hyped and they really do depreciate hugely.

The 3 series isnt over hyped. Its an exceptionally good car. The 340i variant is pretty much the best of the best in class. Whilst your perception might be that they are over hyped, i would challenge you to find a review of a 340i that says its naff.

Also, it doesnt depreciate heavily. You can buy them new from a broker for £33K ish and they hold their value as well as any other in their class.

The Jag XE i dont really like. Particularly the cheaper ones with the smaller alloys. Horrible, and as i said a lot of complaints about the new petrol engines. The new XF is just a bigger XE. Last shape XF is a very nice car and the 3.0 S goes like nuts. In sport and dynamic mode you will struggle to stop the wheels spinning pulling away. Very nice interior too. my only gripe with mine is this constant nagging about not getting the XJ instead (more toys and even nicer interior).

Hes looking at an XE-S, not a small wheeled entry level variant

If i was looking for something new of a similar standard it would be a Merc. CLS or E class i think. Very pretty cars, nice interior, not as much of a reputation for !!!!!! as BMW and not all that common on the streets. Another option would be a Volvo if its toys and really up to date tech you like.

Both an E and CLS are from the next class up, and the next price point up. An E with comparable performance starts at around £58,000 and a CLS with comparable performance starts at around £57,000. Also due to their sheer size and non sporting slant, you would lose quite a bit of the agility you would get from a 3, XE or Stinger.

To get a reasonably power Volvo S90 you need to go to the hybrid variant, which starts at £56,000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    debunked wrote: »
    It looks as if the 340i M Sport is perhaps the best 'drivers' car but I can't get over having a car as common as chips.

You have a point. As a lorry driver I do around 400 miles a day and BMWs seem to be absolutely everywhere the further south you get in the country, whether its a 1, 3 or 5 series. Sure they're not all M sports by any stretch but it is very noticable how many beemers there are.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 February 2018 at 9:38AM
    Options
    A surprising number of these features are simply not activated, dunno why though.

I've had a Vagcomm for years and changed a lot of things. Windows, central locking, lighting all sorts. Just recently found the option of emergency braking flashing hazard lights....cool!

The newer can-bus vehicles are easier to do.

For the Q3 mirror/park assist issues.......missed the quote button!!
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    You have a point. As a lorry driver I do around 400 miles a day and BMWs seem to be absolutely everywhere the further south you get in the country, whether its a 1, 3 or 5 series. Sure they're not all M sports by any stretch but it is very noticable how many beemers there are.

Yes, thats the issue - mostly 320d M Sports which will to all intents and purposes look like a 340i M Sport.

The benefit of that of course is that it brings a level of "anonimity" and you can catch people unawares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure