Courgette resets her sights

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    At my DS2's school they teach Mandarin as an added extra to the curriculum :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Well this is a bit weird for me - I've completely lost my voice! This hasn't happened to me for years and years and besides a little bit of earache and a bit of a headache I feel completely fine. Unfortunately I've had to cancel my online lesson this evening but there was really no way I could do it. I've spent an hour listing stuff on eBay instead, about £100 worth once it all sells which should be pretty quick as it's good stuff.

Took DS2 to a party this afternoon, £5 bus fare and present from stash. Like the classy individual I am, I sat on a bench nearby for 90 minutes and worked on my ebook so that feels productive.

We're also nearly ready to send our passport applications off - the price hike crept up on me suddenly even though I'd written it down! My reference has promised she'll be able to get them done for the morning though so it's fine. Will be pretty pricey for the 4 of us but it's not every year (thankfully!).

Went to my new school this week too - job is even better than I'd thought. I need to create a 6 lesson block of work which I will then be able to teach 6 (!!!!!) times. Plus no homework and no marking so it'll really be a very efficient use of time. I did try cycling home but the bike route was really badly signposted and didn't feel entirely safe either so I'm not gonna bother and will just catch the bus and fit in some fun some other way. I'm sure we'll have an ipod or similar knocking about the house somewhere so I'll attempt to find it then put some interesting podcasts or music on there.

Bit more work done on the never-ending kitchen project this week but we're saving up another £6k to be able to complete it so it's on hold really until we've got that. Having decided on the classic white unit + wooden worktops combo I've had my head seriously turned by some gorgeous navy blue units with grey marble-effect worktops http://https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-collection/shaker/fairford/navy/ does this link work? ETA: No, it doesn't seem to. Search Howdens navy kitchen if interested :D

This week I need to:
    - plan some free Easter activities for the lads
    - write something every day on my ebook, even if just 100 words. Need to create a habit here
    - complete listing for S*asalt tunics
    - take another step on the never-ending kitchen project
    - return library books
    - DBS for new job
    - send off passport applications
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,395 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    That kitchen is awesome,
    Love love love it.
    Go for it!!
    Eeek to voice.
    Job sounds just fab.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job courgette :T

The kitchen you have linked to is the one I've been debating over when we take the plunge :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Courgette
    Options
    Gorgeous isn't it :) Not seen it in real life yet plus they seem to be keeping the price to themselves but I do really love it.

Been to see the pharmacist about my throat - have woken up this morning completely unable to talk so getting the kids out the door on time was fun! He thinks it's possibly laryngitis but not really sure. Time will tell. I'm not teaching today but got a busy day tomorrow and Wednesday. Hoping it will clear as obviously I don't want to cancel any lessons!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kitchen looks gorgeous, but it would make our kitchen look *tiny*. It's very dark, very classy, but suspect that it would need a good combination of plenty of natural light and judicious artificial lighting to stop the room seeming gloomy?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,395 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You only get the price through Howdens or a joiner that has an account with them.
    My current one is from Howdens.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MWC has a dark blue kitchen and it is ace :T:T:T. I'm not brave enough so went for white gloss with grey speckled granite worktops, i.e. built-in marks so don't notice when it's not clean :rotfl:.

Hope the voice returns :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Courgette
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    MWC has a dark blue kitchen and it is ace :T:T:T. I'm not brave enough so went for white gloss with grey speckled granite worktops, i.e. built-in marks so don't notice when it's not clean :rotfl:.

Hope the voice returns :)

Ooh, I thought MWC's was orange. Who has the orange kitchen then? Our less brave option is high gloss white with wooden or pretend wooden worktops then brightened up with really gorgeous tiles in a turquoise/teal kind of colour. We'll just have to see how the quotes come back on it really, that will guide us a lot.

Had the day at home because my voice has gone entirely. I won;t think about the money I've lost in cancelled lessons, booo. Not sure about tomorrow either. It's getting better but I still have three hours so I don't know if I can reasonably manage that.

Have made use of my forced day off by lying in bed watching youtube summaries of books I've been meaning to read which has been quite interesting. Have also written about 500 more words of my ebook so that's something (I also wrote about 300 on the steps outside nursery yesterday).

Have almost finished the Frugalwoods book. My love affair with them is well and truly over however. I'd thought when they said they had middle class salaries they'd meant the $50-75k region (which I already class as a lot). Turns out it's closer to $250k :eek: I think I'd find it pretty easy to save 70% of that, in fact 30% is much more than we have ever lived on. Feel a bit conned actually by what's clearly been a marketing ploy for the blog. Will try not to think too deeply about it or take it too personally though :rotfl:

Anyone got any good book recommendations for me? I'm working hard and need to keep working hard in shifting my mindset from constant frugalism to growth and increasing my income. It's very difficult when it's so deeply ingrained in me but I really don;t feel I'm getting as much out of life as I want to and want my kids to because I'm constantly weighing up the financial side of everything. I don't have any aspirations to become Mariah Carey or anything like that (although I do like a good warble in the bath!) but it'd be nice to travel more and just to do more stuff.
  • Tropically
    Tropically Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sometimes I read some FIRE blogs and they say things like, "When should I stop contributing to my pension because it will hit the £1million mark?" If that's USD, that means that 'scrimping' and saving 70% would mean SPENDING £52,959 per year. I would take that challenge!! I am also eager for some book recommendations so will keep a look out :)
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills