Letting a property to the council

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
26 replies 43.9K views
AubreyMacAubreyMac Forumite
1.7K Posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
I've seen adverts from councils about letting properties for them to house council tenants. Their adverts seems good as they say they will guarantee income to the landlord regardless whether they have a tenant in there or not and that they make regular checks to the property.

What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

Does anyone know the realities of this?

In the future I would like to let my property out. I know in the private market it could fetch a good amount per month but the high turnover of tenants sounds stressful to me. I would prefer someone to stay there for a couple of years at least.

Replies

• konarkkonark Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Will they repair it if one of their tenants, who are may be 'sub-prime' wrecks it?
  • kinger101kinger101 Forumite
    6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be simplest to ask the council to which you'll be letting what their responsibilities would be. I would imagine it varies from place to place (just like bin collections, where no two authorities can come up with the same system).
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • CakegutsCakeguts Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't do this if you have any emotional attachment to the property or you don't want to have repair everything.
  • konark wrote: »
    Will they repair it if one of their tenants, who are may be 'sub-prime' wrecks it?

Yes. They will return your property in the same condition.
    No, they do not pay full market rent.
    See Norwood. Similar.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    AubreyMac wrote: »

What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

I would find it odd (and any taxpayer as not right) if the council did for repairs not caused by the tenent and boiler checks I.e. gas safety for a property they do not own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Speak to the council. I have 'heard' that they will carry out upgrades if the property isn't up to spec but can't verify that. I am sure that they do carry out repairs. I don't know if they will replace a boiler (obviously a major expense). I believe they expect an owner to contract to let the property to them for a period of years.

But it is definitely best to phone the council themselves and read the contract very very carefully before signing. Get anything said in writing. What rent they will pay will probably depend on how short of properties they are, and depend on the council.

The council won't leave the property in a wrecked state, but again read the contract to be sure. It will probably specifiy what repairs they will carry out. Don't assume anything however, ask.
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And of course, the councils, in common with much "big business" will generally offer those repair contracts to the lowest bidder.
    Signature on loan to someone else
  • edited 26 January 2018 at 10:23AM
    davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 January 2018 at 10:23AM
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I would find it odd (and any taxpayer as not right) if the council did for repairs not caused by the tenent and boiler checks I.e. gas safety for a property they do not own.

Why "odd" or "not right"? Such differences in repairing obligations are reflected in the rent payable (in the same way that it's the norm for commercial tenants to be fully responsible for repairs).
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjdavies wrote: »
    As with council housing, all costs will be covered by rental income and not funded by taxpayers.
    I'm not a cat.
  • pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about asking your local council or you could google for a start.

I have found this one which offers two different schemes:

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/housing/general-housing/letting-your-property-through-council
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals