PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting a property to the council

I've seen adverts from councils about letting properties for them to house council tenants. Their adverts seems good as they say they will guarantee income to the landlord regardless whether they have a tenant in there or not and that they make regular checks to the property.

What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

Does anyone know the realities of this?

In the future I would like to let my property out. I know in the private market it could fetch a good amount per month but the high turnover of tenants sounds stressful to me. I would prefer someone to stay there for a couple of years at least.

Comments

• konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Will they repair it if one of their tenants, who are may be 'sub-prime' wrecks it?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It would be simplest to ask the council to which you'll be letting what their responsibilities would be. I would imagine it varies from place to place (just like bin collections, where no two authorities can come up with the same system).
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't do this if you have any emotional attachment to the property or you don't want to have repair everything.
  • konark wrote: »
    Will they repair it if one of their tenants, who are may be 'sub-prime' wrecks it?

Yes. They will return your property in the same condition.
    No, they do not pay full market rent.
    See Norwood. Similar.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AubreyMac wrote: »

What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

I would find it odd (and any taxpayer as not right) if the council did for repairs not caused by the tenent and boiler checks I.e. gas safety for a property they do not own.
  • Speak to the council. I have 'heard' that they will carry out upgrades if the property isn't up to spec but can't verify that. I am sure that they do carry out repairs. I don't know if they will replace a boiler (obviously a major expense). I believe they expect an owner to contract to let the property to them for a period of years.

But it is definitely best to phone the council themselves and read the contract very very carefully before signing. Get anything said in writing. What rent they will pay will probably depend on how short of properties they are, and depend on the council.

The council won't leave the property in a wrecked state, but again read the contract to be sure. It will probably specifiy what repairs they will carry out. Don't assume anything however, ask.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    And of course, the councils, in common with much "big business" will generally offer those repair contracts to the lowest bidder.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 10:23AM
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I would find it odd (and any taxpayer as not right) if the council did for repairs not caused by the tenent and boiler checks I.e. gas safety for a property they do not own.

Why "odd" or "not right"? Such differences in repairing obligations are reflected in the rent payable (in the same way that it's the norm for commercial tenants to be fully responsible for repairs).
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    cjdavies wrote: »
    As with council housing, all costs will be covered by rental income and not funded by taxpayers.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree about asking your local council or you could google for a start.

I have found this one which offers two different schemes:

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/housing/general-housing/letting-your-property-through-council
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure