PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting a property to the council

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As with council housing, all costs will be covered by rental income and not funded by taxpayers.

Wouldn't the rental income be passed to the homeowner?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Yes, but as explained above it will be lower than the market rate you'd expect to pay to a landlord who still had maintenance obligations.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

Does anyone know the realities of this?

The councils that I have come across use 'menu pricing' (rather than market pricing).

For example,
    - 1 bedroom flat = £X pcm
    - 2 bedroom flat (1 double, 1 single) = £Y pcm
    - 2 bedroom flat (2 double) = £Z pcm

(They don't really take account of the quality of the area etc)

They have a list of other requirements - like having an emergency breakdown contract for the heating.

Some say they will fix minor problems - but all expect the landlord to fix major problems (like new boiler).

The 2 big problems always seem to be:
    They cap the amount they will pay for damage to the property at the end of the lease. (e.g. If the kitchen and/or bathroom is trashed, the LL could be heavily out of pocket)

They are vague about what happens if their tenant refuses to move out at the end of the lease. (Councils don't like to do evictions where the tenant is not at fault.)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I rented to the Council years ago. Was supposed to be a safe option with rent paid regardless (because you are renting to the authority and not the individual tenants) and they were supposed to maintain and hand back in good condition.

It was a disaster. It was occupied by a series of low-life individuals who caused significant damage and brought nothing but misery to my former neighbours with consistent anti-social behaviour.

Never again!!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Yes, minus maintenance costs.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caravan holiday parks do a letting scheme for owners, but the weekly amount paid is nowhere near the prices they charge or even the rates that the owner charges.

The upside is that you get rental during void weeks, but in the case of a council which has a long waiting list,there's unlikely to be more than the odd week long voids as tenants change over.

I was thinking of the poor neighbours too, as councils move troublesome tenants round rather than evicting them and having exhausted places on their own estates, will use 'isolated' houses.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    I've seen adverts from councils about letting properties for them to house council tenants. Their adverts seems good as they say they will guarantee income to the landlord regardless whether they have a tenant in there or not and that they make regular checks to the property.

What they don't mention is whether they pay full market rates (I presume not) or whether they contribute anything to repairs or boiler checks.

Does anyone know the realities of this?

In the future I would like to let my property out. I know in the private market it could fetch a good amount per month but the high turnover of tenants sounds stressful to me. I would prefer someone to stay there for a couple of years at least.

My LA pay the local housing allowance rate plus 10%.

The house has to be handed over as safe i.e. gas, electric check plus the efficiency certificate. Repairs become the LA’s responsibility apart from major structural repairs. They have to return property in the condition you give it to them. Voids are covered so rent guaranteed.

Seems a good scheme. You could get more on open market but voids or a trashed house could cripple a landlord if cash flow is an issue. You also don’t need to hand it over in mint condition that private tenants would expect.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read the contract they offer.

Remember, this will be a commercial tenancy between you and the council, not an AST, so very different rules and protections apply.

I say agan - read the contract!

(and note MEM62's post above).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would never let to the council.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    I rented to the Council years ago. Was supposed to be a safe option with rent paid regardless (because you are renting to the authority and not the individual tenants) and they were supposed to maintain and hand back in good condition.

It was a disaster. It was occupied by a series of low-life individuals who caused significant damage and brought nothing but misery to my former neighbours with consistent anti-social behaviour.

Never again!!

Milton Keynes Council offered this to a friend of mine a number of years ago.

Each successive year the council were prepared to do less and less and expected the landlord to do more and more. Successive tenants over the years thrashed the place which broke my friend's heart. He now has it with a private agent.
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport