PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting a property to the council

13»

Comments

• In my area, it's common for social housing associations to offer this to landlords, but not the council.
    They guarantee to return the property to you, in the same state you handed it over to them.
    In between, it's not your concern.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As I don't plan to let out my flat for a few years yet (I want to eventually buy a house without having to sell my flat), I didn't want to make a genuine enquiry with the council just yet. I've seen it on their site and they list all the great things but just wanted peoples experience of it.

I know a couple of private landlords, they always seem to have issues with whingeing tenants. One of them had her property damaged, the cost of repairing was more than the deposit paid.
  • AubreyMac wrote: »
    As
    I know a couple of private landlords, they always seem to have issues with whingeing tenants. One of them had her property damaged, the cost of repairing was more than the deposit paid.

Those landlords should be grateful their properties weren't converted into cannabis factories (or farms?).
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    GreenSnake wrote: »
    Those landlords should be grateful their properties weren't converted into cannabis factories (or farms?).

One of the landlords found their 1 bed property kept 10 people in there, most of which were illegal migrants. It was meant to be 'managed' by a well known agency too.

But the one that got really trashed was let out to a couple. He was a pastor of a church and she was a teaching assistant. They split up while they were in that property (he paid the deposit and was the first to leave), therefore as it wasn't her money in the deposit she couldn't care less about not getting it back. Everything was trashed even the shower curtain, ironing board and bedsheets.

And someone mentioned being considerate to neighbours - my flat is ex council and most people in my block are council tenants anyway.
  • AubreyMac wrote: »
    One of the landlords found their 1 bed property kept 10 people in there, most of which were illegal migrants. It was meant to be 'managed' by a well known agency too.

But the one that got really trashed was let out to a couple. He was a pastor of a church and she was a teaching assistant. They split up while they were in that property (he paid the deposit and was the first to leave), therefore as it wasn't her money in the deposit she couldn't care less about not getting it back. Everything was trashed even the shower curtain, ironing board and bedsheets.

And someone mentioned being considerate to neighbours - my flat is ex council and most people in my block are council tenants anyway.

Doesn't the church provide accommodation for them?
    I didn't know they were reliant on private landlords.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AubreyMac wrote: »

In most cases private landlords have a unrealistic view on what being a landlord is. Particularly those that have previously lived in the property and still have an emotional attachment to it. Many are also naive as to what extent being a landlord is a responsibility.

When letting the property effectively becomes a business asset and letting is a business. You will have good tenants, not so good tenants. Those that have common sense and take care of small issues themselves and those that are on the phone every five minutes. You will have to spend money on maintenance and repairs. You will also have all the other issues that go with running a small business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure