Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it - Page 108

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
1.1K replies 191.8K views
1102103104105106108»

Replies

• Dymphna60Dymphna60 Forumite
    162 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    H - nothing I can say except so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Of course you are in shock . Even if expected it still is shocking.
    If you have people around you let them care for you . Try to drink and eat a little .
    Accept the love from those that care for you even if the words are clumsy.
  • sheilavw & Dymphna60. Thank you for your thoughts and advice. It is appreciated.

I had prepared a fairly lengthy message, which was maybe self indulgent of me, but it disappeared when I tried to submit, so a lesson learned there.

I don't have the heart to re-do it right now, so suffice to say the timing was totally unexpected, and my children are being great.

Hx
  • sheilavwsheilavw Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could offer more advice. Looking back it was all a blur, visitors, arrangements.
    I did have counselling at the local hospice which helped a little. After my sessions finished they offered me complimentary therapies, once a month, I have had 3 and one booked for mid january also at the hospice. Take your time with things. x
  • BugginsBuggins Forumite
    344 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Bump...just because it may be needed.
  • Skibunny40Skibunny40 Forumite
    334 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Agreed, happyandcontented. 
    Buggins, good idea to bump the thread - I'm sure there are many who would benefit from it
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • PennyForThem_2PennyForThem_2 Forumite
    673 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I find the title self-satisfied and arrogant.  And we really need to come to terms with death because it is happening with Corvid-19.  Our culture is very uncomfortable with describing it factually and also discussing with children/partners what those at risk of dying wishes are.  

• BugginsBuggins Forumite
    344 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Maybe a change of title then but many people are looking for some support especially at the moment - it helped me no end a few years ago when I felt so isolated and lost.
  • Dymphna60Dymphna60 Forumite
    162 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Please keep the thread available. 
    Although I was not part of the original  ‘group’ . I too took support and comfort from it when my partner died in 2018 . 

@ PennyFor Them - not really sure where talking about death with family conflicts with this thread ? 
    Before my partner took his life he knew he was dying ( the reason he did as he did ) . We had many a what I want , don’t want , When I am dead conversations . Conversations I also had with my dying father , conversations I have had with my own children. 
    None of them meant that I wasn’t lost and terribly lonely with the reality of knowing I would never see or speak to my partner again. 
    If a tiny shrewd of comfort is gained by one person accessing this thread it is very worth while . 
  • PennyForThem_2PennyForThem_2 Forumite
    673 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I agree for a lot of ppl this seems to be a helpful thread (though for me it got way too gossipy - but that is me).  Also (lol) the title is not gender neutral - widow - widower......

(TBH my main beef was the attitude of the very original poster - not the originator of this revamped thread - so mea culpa)