Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm still regularly seeing short studies from China paying (or rather underpaying) at around £2 per hour. I wonder how these are being accepted onto the platform?!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I keep reporting them when I see them. I’ve not had so many come up of late. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mum161111
    Mum161111 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 2 May at 8:46AM
    Options
    Edit:  Sorry I do not know how to cancel as I should have posted this in "Prolific Studies."  I apologize.  I am re-posting it there now but I don't know how to move this post and I am not, intentionally, duplicating it.

I reserved a place and started this Study this morning: 

A study about VI

By jaipuria.ac.in.

The Study (a Google Form) required my gmail address.  The box auto-filled with my Gmail email address.  There was an option to change email address and, when I clicked it, there was no option to enter my Prolific email address.  I had clicked to start the Study but had not downloaded anything.

I returned the Study, informed Prolific (reason for Returning the Study given) and I contacted the Researcher.  I am concerned about the reply from the Researcher: 

"
    I am sorry. But I ahve turned off the setting for collection of email. Can you plesae re check. might be your browser problem"

The spelling worries me a bit and why would I have a browser problem?  I have scanned my computer and no threats were detected.  Should I be worried?
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 May at 9:01AM
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned about - the researcher has confirmed that they have filtered out their ability to extract your email address and I also seem to remember there is a comment, near the auto-filled box, saying something along the lines of 'will not be used'.  I've never had any problems with the google form studies.  
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Mum161111
    Mum161111 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 2 May at 9:01AM
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned about - the researcher has confirmed that they have filtered out their ability to extract your email address and I also seem to remember there is a comment, near the auto-filled box, saying something along the lines of 'will not be used'.  I've never had any problems with the google form studies.  

That is reassuring, thanks. I scanned my computer and it did not pick up any threats.  I wonder why the Researcher thought it might be a problem with my Browser.
  • MollyR
    MollyR Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Probably, they are guessing that your browser is configured to auto-fill form fields, and would therefore have entered your Gmail address itself.
  • VixRay
    VixRay Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    There's a survey on prolific that is asking for personal information for children. First it asks for full name to consent. Then it asks for full name of child, date of birth, and school attending. Really worrying so returned it and reported. Has anybody else had this one?

All about my teenager - for parents of children aged 14-17

Survey
    In this study we will ask you to tell us about your teenager's thinking. This study is for those with a child aged 14-17 years old. You have been screened as your child's date of birth is in the right range but they may be slightly older or younger.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    Options
    Did anybody do this one? It took a long time for the 5th survey to pay out, and as yet no sign of the promised bonus for completing all 5 which I know I did.

Household Energy Study

By hw.ac.uk

£5.00 • £17.39/hr

17 mins

16 places
    In this study you will complete 5 surveys about your household energy use. This survey is the fifth of five surveys. You will be asked for your Prolific ID. As a reward for completing all five surveys, you will receive a bonus payment once you have completed this survey.

Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• John1963
    John1963 Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 May at 7:13PM
    Options
    Workplace personality and behaviour

Has anybody had this - it was a Cambridge University study.  Immediately on completion I received the message below:

You have been asked to return your submission for "Workplace personality and behaviour" for the following reason(s):

Failed screener validation (wrong country or under-age)

Pease return the submission

I have not returned the submission and have responded with the following: "The study too over 20 minutes to complete - I can't be underage (I'm 60) and am UK-based, which is unlikely to be an issue. I completed the questions honestly throughout and noted the test questions. Can you please explain why I am being asked to return the study under the circumstances?"

I don't mind being screened out at the start but to tell me that I'm under-age or in the wrong country after more than 20 minutes of effort is a bit much.

..........................................................................................................................................................................
    Update: Must have been an error - it's now been approved!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Options
    This was a fault with their study, apparently some participants (though not all - I didn't) received this error code.  They sent out a blanket message to all participants apologising and confirming they had approved all submissions immediately, so you should find you have been paid for this one already.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback