New MOT test May 2018

Options

Comments

• markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2018 at 8:56AM
    Options
    From the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.
    Tell your MOT tester to read his special notices

I'm an MOT tester so get all the information emailed to me from dvsa@public.govdelivery.com

"An early MOT will still be sensible
    Some people have interpreted the changes to mean that a vehicle shouldn't be brought in for an MOT early. This isn't true.

We;ll still encourage motorists to not leave their MOT until expiry, as leaving it late increases the risk of the vehicle being used without an MOT or being unroadworthy."
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • markudman
    First Anniversary
    Options
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    markudman wrote: »

Thanks for that link ...reading some of the comments it looks like there is work to be done to get the message across..
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    Thanks for that link ...reading some of the comments it looks like there is work to be done to get the message across..
    Are you insinuating that a government department has not done a thorough job communicating a major change that affects both the public and industry, surely not :o
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Are you insinuating that a government department has not done a thorough job communicating a major change that affects both the public and industry, surely not :o

I'd suggest rather that they've done a very good job in miscommunicating a very minor change that hardly affects the public at all.
  • molley
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I'd suggest rather that they've done a very good job in miscommunicating a very minor change that hardly affects the public at all.

I agree it affects very few of the public as nothing really changes from the way it is just now regarding driving cars with faults but only a very few are on MSE or Pepipoo or similar websites ..The problem is caused by the TESTERS who lie between DVSA and the motoring public giving out misinformation because of the way they have been interpreting the info given to them by DVSA . Hopefully they will take note of the latest info on the Blog mentioned above and realise where they have been going wrong .
  • markudman
    First Anniversary
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    I agree it affects very few of the public as nothing really changes from the way it is just now regarding driving cars with faults but only a very few are on MSE or Pepipoo or similar websites ..The problem is caused by the TESTERS who lie between DVSA and the motoring public giving out misinformation because of the way they have been interpreting the info given to them by DVSA . Hopefully they will take note of the latest info on the Blog mentioned above and realise where they have been going wrong .

If you wanted to, you can cal the DVSA, and tell them what you were told, maybe they will contact the garage and tell them to tell the truth.
  • molley
    Options
    markudman wrote: »
    If you wanted to, you can cal the DVSA, and tell them what you were told, maybe they will contact the garage and tell them to tell the truth.

When I got home I did phone DVSA- the guy who answered the phone wasnt a DVSA bod but said he was told this tale when he took his wifes car in - he put me through to a MOT TEST MANAGER who sounded rather weary as if he was having to fend off a lot of such stories. He knew it was happening and said thats why a Press Release was being issued and copied to Test Stations which should clarify things. I took it thats what you referred to earlier.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The DVSA manual makes no mention of all EML lights. It only mentions specific lights for specific systems.
    So if your car has a brake warning light, that's an automatic fail.
    If you car has a steering warning light, that's an automatic fail.
    There are others for driving stability systems and ABS or whatever.
    But if you have an EML for something else, it might not be a fail.
    So if you have a faulty engine sensor reading your car shouldn't fail on the warning light alone.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eml on is a major fail on the 20th of may
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts