SMETS2 vs SMETS1 meter

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
What is the difference between a SMETS2 and SMETS1 meter ?
Apart from the ability to change suppliers ?
Is there any difference in what they can do or display ?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 January 2018 at 5:39PM
    Options
    The SMETS2 technical manual runs to over 800 pages. The advantages are better security as the whole of the smart network is at risk rather than just your supplier’s systems. Communications are via a wide area network rather than 2G mobile etc.

(Some of what is stated below has been overtaken by time/events. For example, the DCC is looking at ways to adopt SMETS1 meters and SMETS1 installs are well above 3M)

What is a SMETS1 meter?

Over 3 million meters built to the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specification (SMETS) 1 have now been installed. These meters are better than ADM meters (Advanced Domestic Meters) but not as good as SMETS2 meters. Each supplier uses them through a different support and communications network; this means they have different functionality and effectively limits the customer from moving from one supplier to another with the same smart meter. For this reason, as SMETS1 meters are commonly in use, suppliers often have to change the meter to provide a continuing smart service. Meters to the SMETS2 standard will not have this restriction.

What is a SMETS2 meter?

No meters have been installed yet to the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specification (SMETS) 2 standard. These are the most advanced meters available and will communicate through the new Data Communications Company (DCC). Suppliers are obliged by government rules to stop installing SMETS1 meters in early 2018 and only install these new SMETS2 meters. SMETS2 meters will start arriving in Q2 2017 but are likely to be only installed in low volumes during 2017.

From CleanEnergyNews:

Energy technology firm Landis+Gyr said the meter was the first to be certified at Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2 (SMETS2) standard, boasting more advanced capabilities than the currently available SMETS1 meters.

Most notably the SMETS2 meters facilitate domestic renewables in what could prove a boon for greater adoption of peer-to-peer energy trading. The nascent technology has been trialled within Ofgem’s regulatory sandbox and is widely expected to play a crucial role in a decentralised market.

SMETS2 meters also boast greater data security measures and broader interoperability, allowing customers to switch energy supplier without the need for wholesale changes to their smart meter. Earlier this year MPs sought clarity from government after a number of consumers raised concerns that their ability to switch supplier was being prohibited by the previous installation of a SMETS1 meter.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The SMETS2 technical manual runs to over 800 pages. The advantages are better security as the whole of the smart network is at risk rather than just your supplier’s systems. Communications are via a wide area network rather than 2G mobile etc.

(Some of what is stated below has been overtaken by time/events. For example, the DCC is looking at ways to adopt SMETS1 meters and SMETS1 installs are well above 3M)

What is a SMETS1 meter?

Over 3 million meters built to the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specification (SMETS) 1 have now been installed. These meters are better than ADM meters (Advanced Domestic Meters) but not as good as SMETS2 meters. Each supplier uses them through a different support and communications network; this means they have different functionality and effectively limits the customer from moving from one supplier to another with the same smart meter. For this reason, as SMETS1 meters are commonly in use, suppliers often have to change the meter to provide a continuing smart service. Meters to the SMETS2 standard will not have this restriction.

What is a SMETS2 meter?

No meters have been installed yet to the Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specification (SMETS) 2 standard. These are the most advanced meters available and will communicate through the new Data Communications Company (DCC). Suppliers are obliged by government rules to stop installing SMETS1 meters in early 2018 and only install these new SMETS2 meters. SMETS2 meters will start arriving in Q2 2017 but are likely to be only installed in low volumes during 2017.

From CleanEnergyNews:

Energy technology firm Landis+Gyr said the meter was the first to be certified at Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2 (SMETS2) standard, boasting more advanced capabilities than the currently available SMETS1 meters.

Most notably the SMETS2 meters facilitate domestic renewables in what could prove a boon for greater adoption of peer-to-peer energy trading. The nascent technology has been trialled within Ofgem’s regulatory sandbox and is widely expected to play a crucial role in a decentralised market.

SMETS2 meters also boast greater data security measures and broader interoperability, allowing customers to switch energy supplier without the need for wholesale changes to their smart meter. Earlier this year MPs sought clarity from government after a number of consumers raised concerns that their ability to switch supplier was being prohibited by the previous installation of a SMETS1 meter.

Right - so I will definately ignore the pleas from my supplier to accept a SMETS1 meter and wait until the 2nd generation are available .....
    Thanks
  • System
    Options
    SMETS 3 is being scoped as we speak. The technology World doesn’t stand still.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    SMETS 3 is being scoped as we speak. The technology World doesn’t stand still.
    What is SMETS3 likely to do ?
    Make my tea ?
  • System
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    What is SMETS3 likely to do ?
    Make my tea ?

My guess is that technology; communications, and security, in particular, move on. Smart metering has little to do with accurate billing or switching suppliers: this is the message being peddled in attempt to get consumer buy in. Smart metering is all about the development of a smart electricity grid which monitors energy usage/demand in 30 minute bites, and the matching of supply with demand which negates the need for standby power and reports faults before they lead to failures etc.

https://www.smartgrid.gov/the_smart_grid/smart_grid.html

Sadly, whilst the concept of a smart grid is long overdue, the protracted and increasingly expensive rollout of the UK’s smart meter programme could have been better managed by a classroom of 13 year olds.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I read somewhere that most SMETS1 meters can be upgraded to SMETS2 by way of a remote software upgrade? If so, what is all the fuss about? If not, then why have suppliers just been given a further 3 months to continue to install soon-to-be-redundant SMETS1 meters?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • System
    edited 21 January 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    I read somewhere that most SMETS1 meters can be upgraded to SMETS2 by way of a remote software upgrade? If so, what is all the fuss about? If not, then why have suppliers just been given a further 3 months to continue to install soon-to-be-redundant SMETS1 meters?

The reason for the extension is primarily because all SMETS2 meters have to be tested to ensure that they are fully Data Communications Company compliant. Suppliers are still firmly in the testing and certification phase. The Government didn’t want to stall the rollout programme which would have given suppliers an out.

If it was easy to upgrade SMETS1 to SMETS2 OTA then the Government would not have directed The Data Communications Company to find ways of ‘adopting’ SMETS1 meters by 2020. This may be the OTA upgrade that you are talking about.

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/317173/15443_factsheet_a_e_v4.pdf

SMETS 1 meters that cannot be ‘adopted’ will be deemed stranded assets and will have to be replaced.

This is worth a read. The guy gave expert advice to the Parliamentary Committee that reviewed the smart meter rollout programme:

http://www.nickhunn.com/smart-meter-update/
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Right - so I will definately ignore the pleas from my supplier to accept a SMETS1 meter and wait until the 2nd generation are available .....
    Thanks
    Hi

That seems to be the consensus on most independent sources I've come across ... there just seems to be a rush by the energy sector to book installations against the smart-metering project so that they can tick boxes & start to amortise allowable costs into household bills ... then there's the sub-contracted installers looking to get paid twice for the same property! ...

If the general public only knew what was coming down the line ... _pale_;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • nokinidea
    Options
    Has anyone got pictures or model names of smets2 compliant devices.
    I ask as I dont know which one was installed. The smart meter (desk part)does seem to have hourly recordingbut whether that's hourly reporting I dont know.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nokinidea wrote: »
    Has anyone got pictures or model names of smets2 compliant devices.
    I ask as I dont know which one was installed. The smart meter (desk part)does seem to have hourly recordingbut whether that's hourly reporting I dont know.
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html
    Heres a list of SMETS2 meters being used by the DCC with a list of SMETS1 meters capable of being adopted to the DCC.
    The Secure Liberty 100 meter is being used by virtually every small supplier and that meter is in the SMETS1 list along with meters being used by BG and others such as the Landys Gyr E470 electric meter and the gas meter G370
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure