Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• sush40
    sush40 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    You don't need direct debits for the Nationwide account if you don't want the refer a friend bonus. You can open the account without any direct debits on it and cycle in (and out) £1,000 per month.

How long does the £1000 have to stay in the account to activate the interests? I might consider opening one but not as my every day account, I'll just use it as a saving account.
    Can we set up a standing order from a easy access saver to cycle in/out or does it have to be from a current account?
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sush40 wrote: »
    How long does the £1000 have to stay in the account to activate the interests? I might consider opening one but not as my every day account, I'll just use it as a saving account.
    Can we set up a standing order from a easy access saver to cycle in/out or does it have to be from a current account?

How long does it take you to log into your online banking and do an FP back out?

There's your answer :)

And, AFAIK, any account you can set up an SO on will do.
  • sush40
    sush40 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers

I mean, let's say I put 1000 on a sunday, can I withdraw it straight away or do I need to wait til the next working day
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    How long does the £1000 have to stay in the account to activate the interests?

Seconds. Transfer the money in and transfer it straight out again if you wish. For the sake of avoiding fraud prevention phonecalls and your account being locked, however, I'd suggest leaving it a day or two at least.
    I might consider opening one but not as my every day account, I'll just use it as a saving account.

That's fine, and is what I was actually suggesting.

I'm not aware of any easy access savings accounts that allow you to set up standing orders. Normally you would make the transfer from a current account. It doesn't have to be done with a standing order, however (although that does make life easier), you could use faster payments.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any easy access savings accounts that allow you to set up standing orders. Normally you would make the transfer from a current account. It doesn't have to be done with a standing order, however (although that does make life easier), you could use faster payments.

There are some easy access savings accounts where you can set up a recurring payment. I'm thinking specifically of those banks that outsource to Newcastle BS, like Ford Money or Paragon. It's how I've been funding my Ford RS. With these you do have to nominate a current account where all incoming and outgoing payments are fed through. But in this case, you would nominate that to be the Flex Direct.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    For all you Virgin Regular Saver addicts, time to make an appointment. Issue 10 now available. Everything as previous issues.

Great thanks for this,

I will ring up and book an appointment, just in time as my Chorley maturing this week and Issue 4 next month.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't know this but others may! It's possible to check in-payments etc online but it's read only. They send part of the means by e-mail and the rest by post. The combination ensures access.

Most of my RSs I can check online that the SO has gone through. I know things should work OK but I like to be sure :o

Saffron was one of the ones I've had to phone in the past.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Quick question...would payments to Leeds regular saver be by faster payment? And how easy are they to deal with online? It says " some" activities can be done online, but what?

Bump.... anyone know? Cheers.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • patientperson
    patientperson Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I didn't know this but others may! It's possible to check in-payments etc online but it's read only. They send part of the means by e-mail and the rest by post. The combination ensures access.

Most of my RSs I can check online that the SO has gone through. I know things should work OK but I like to be sure :o

Saffron was one of the ones I've had to phone in the past.

All transactions are visible once you have set up internet access and have logged in.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Quick question...would payments to Leeds regular saver be by faster payment? And how easy are they to deal with online? It says " some" activities can be done online, but what?

Yes, payments are by faster payment. Withdrawals are next working day.

You can view balance and transactions and send secure messages online to change nominated accounts, make withdrawal and closure requests or change personal details. You can't action withdrawals yourself as it is a branch/postal account.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills