Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• vernall
    vernall Posts: 556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I fail to understand people want to investigate for such a very tiny difference (in pence)

When people are making calculator fro RSA they make a few general assumptions such as you are paying on the same time each month, the same amount credited.
    It could also different because the time when you pay to your account afternoon after the certain cutoff time, os the interest will only start the following day.

The opening and maturity date could the same date later on the day or +1 depending on the cutoff time. All of that of course will produce a different result.

But is it worth to invest time to investigate for such a tiny difference in pence??

I agree. I just half the % (if the RS is 3%, I just say 1.5% on whole balance) and that's close enough lol
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Why the site calculator is a little out, I don't know - could be the last day's interest, perhaps.
    One of the reasons the site's calculator is "out" (which it isn't), is that it definitely does not use your rough-and-ready-reckoner, but the proper method of calculating interest on a savings account.

We don't, however, know, the exact assumptions the site calculator uses for the dates deposits are made. That's the reason why it may produce a slightly different result to other proper calculators which might make different assumptions.

One of the most likely reasons for penny discrepancies is that one calculator assumes deposits are always made on the 1st of a month. However, if the 1st of a month is not a working day, the deposit will not happen for at least another day, and therefore the month's deposit won't be earning interest from the 1st. The most precise calculators would take weekends at the start of a month into account.

Having said all this, your rough-and-ready-reckoner is a good enough method to use for those who cba with using a proper calculator. The bank or building society will, in the end, pay the correct amount.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I fail to understand people want to investigate for such a very tiny difference (in pence)

When people are making calculator fro RSA they make a few general assumptions such as you are paying on the same time each month, the same amount credited.
    It could also different because the time when you pay to your account afternoon after the certain cutoff time, os the interest will only start the following day.

The opening and maturity date could the same date later on the day or +1 depending on the cutoff time. All of that of course will produce a different result.

But is it worth to invest time to investigate for such a tiny difference in pence??

It's not that people are bothered about the tiny differences - they simply want to understand the maths and understand why these small differences exist. I can totally understand that.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    It's not that people are bothered about the tiny differences - they simply want to understand the maths and understand why these small differences exist. I can totally understand that.
    So can I, but it probably be better in its own thread.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 2:58PM
    Options
    vernall wrote: »
    I agree. I just half the % (if the RS is 3%, I just say 1.5% on whole balance) and that's close enough lol

Exactly.
    Regarding the interest, I do not remember the more accurate figure, but it is about 0.6x. So if the RS is paying 3%, it is equivalent to about 1.8% of the whole balance provided that you put the same amount of money on the same date each month.

As the interest is calculated daily all of that is something to do with how long the particular chunk of money is in the saving account.
  • EthicsGradient
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    One of the reasons the site's calculator is "out" (which it isn't), is that it definitely does not use your rough-and-ready-reckoner, but the proper method of calculating interest on a savings account.

We don't, however, know, the exact assumptions the site calculator uses for the dates deposits are made. That's the reason why it may produce a slightly different result to other proper calculators which might make different assumptions.

One of the most likely reasons for penny discrepancies is that one calculator assumes deposits are always made on the 1st of a month. However, if the 1st of a month is not a working day, the deposit will not happen for at least another day, and therefore the month's deposit won't be earning interest from the 1st. The most precise calculators would take weekends at the start of a month into account.

Having said all this, your rough-and-ready-reckoner is a good enough method to use for those who cba with using a proper calculator. The bank or building society will, in the end, pay the correct amount.
    Yes, though the point is my "rough-and-ready-reckoner" gives the exact same result as the bank says. While there can be slight variations depending on which day you start, to be more accurate you would have to give a different figure for every possible combination of days of the week and days in a month. This is unfeasible, so the bank, and myself, have given the only reasonable general answer.
    Regarding the interest, I do not remember the more accurate figure, but it is about 0.6x.
    It is exactly 13 / (12*2), or 0.54166....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, though the point is my "rough-and-ready-reckoner" gives the exact same result as the bank says. While there can be slight variations depending on which day you start, to be more accurate you would have to give a different figure for every possible combination of days of the week and days in a month. This is unfeasible, so the bank, and myself, have given the only reasonable general answer.
    Whichever way you portray it, your method is absolutely definitely not how any provider will ever calculate the interest on a Regular Saver.

Though as I already said, your method is good enough to use for those who cba with using a proper calculator.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The sort of people who go chopping and changing accounts for an extra quarter of a percent interest are the same sort of people who will investigate a discrepancy of 19p.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shall we have a poll?

Under 10p - it isn't worth it. And not even worth discussion.

Between 11p and 20p - formal complaint to the interest paying entity.

21p to 50p - Financial Services Authority.

Over 50p - approach your solicitor to consider legal action.

It gets like this when everybody is bored waiting for the next Virgin to be issued. And that in turn will unleash plentiful reports of appointments booked, account opening successes and maybe some sadness that it's at 2% interest again.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Whichever way you portray it, your method is absolutely definitely not how any provider will ever calculate the interest on a Regular Saver.

Though as I already said, your method is good enough to use for those who cba with using a proper calculator.

The actual calculation will use the daily balance, which takes into consideration the actual day each subscription reaches the account, the length of February, the varying other month lengths etc. However I would not be surprised to find the predicted interest in the Key Facts to have been calculated using EthicsGradient's method, which would be totally accurate for 12 equally spaced payments.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family