Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Just went to set up a new Standing Order from my Santander current account into the Virgin Money regular saver, and found they've completely changed the Standing Order setup form. It now doesn't work in my normal browser at all, so I had to fire up Internet Explorer, and then discovered that it won't allow a dash character (-) in the payment reference, so I can't set up a SO into my Virgin RS account as the Virgin account number contains a dash.
    My previous Virgin SO is still running on the same account, complete with a dash character in the reference, so I know it's possible.
    Anyone else found this, and found a workaround?

Use a space instead of the hyphen (which for whatever reason I've never been able to use in the Santander ref) as suggested by VM in the early days - works for all 6 or so of my current VM RSs.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Just went to set up a new Standing Order from my Santander current account into the Virgin Money regular saver, and found they've completely changed the Standing Order setup form. It now doesn't work in my normal browser at all, so I had to fire up Internet Explorer, and then discovered that it won't allow a dash character (-) in the payment reference, so I can't set up a SO into my Virgin RS account as the Virgin account number contains a dash.
    My previous Virgin SO is still running on the same account, complete with a dash character in the reference, so I know it's possible.
    Anyone else found this, and found a workaround?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6060697
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »

Yeah, sorry about the duplicated post. I posted here first, then decided to post on the other forum to reach a wider audience.

Anyway, thanks for the advice given in both threads! I managed to set up the SO using the app to include the hyphen, and it seems substituting it with a space would also work just as well.

Odd that some people have never been able to include a hyphen though. That's weird. It's definitely only affected me since Santander recently revamped their form.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I cannot see anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

I will do the next update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi can anyone help me out ?
    I just opened a halifax regular saver.
    Can I send a faster payment today and then a standing order for the 15th November ?
    The 15th is the date I want to send it every month .
    I am also oing to open a club lloyds one, which will be maxed out, can anyone tell me the best date to open , and then fund that one also please ?
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mummyof5 wrote: »
    Can I send a faster payment today and then a standing order for the 15th November ?
    I am also oing to open a club lloyds one, which will be maxed out, can anyone tell me the best date to open , and then fund that one also please ?

Both of these need funding to reach the account by the 25th of the month. So a bit unclear as to whether or not your plan will work. Though actually, I think it will!

I'm sure that if you fund the one you have already opened with Halifax, that the account will show those funds.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Both of these need funding to reach the account by the 25th of the month. So a bit unclear as to whether or not your plan will work. Though actually, I think it will!

I'm sure that if you fund the one you have already opened with Halifax, that the account will show those funds.

Thank you I have read and reread this thread and can't work out the answer !
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options

You can send initial payment on the last day of the month and then as soon as the 1st of the month.

The 25th is a recommendation to ensure payment reaches the account in time (taking into account weekends/public hols), not a stipulation.

With many PCM regular savers the optimum way to earn interest is to open very close to the end of the month with an immediate max deposit and then another max deposit on the 1st. You can do this with Lloyds.
    Some regular savers prevent this by only allowing deposits on the same date as your original deposit. Lloyds/Halifax/BOS are not one of those.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can send initial payment on the last day of the month and then as soon as the 1st of the month.

The 25th is a recommendation to ensure payment reaches the account in time (taking into account weekends/public hols), not a stipulation.

With many PCM regular savers the optimum way to earn interest is to open very close to the end of the month with an immediate max deposit and then another max deposit on the 1st. You can do this with Lloyds.
    Some regular savers prevent this by only allowing deposits on the same date as your original deposit. Lloyds/Halifax/BOS are not one of those.

so if I send money today it shouldn't prevent me sending again before 25th November ?
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    so if I send money today it shouldn't prevent me sending again before 25th November ?

As long as the payment goes via Faster payment and reaches the account by the 31st, you can then deposit any date you wish next month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure