Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• eastofeden
    eastofeden Posts: 225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I contacted Haymarket branch today and was told no appointments until Monday.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How very annoying is this, I only was in the branch yesterday to cash in Branch Issue 5.... Another visit and phone call needed,

Needs most for continuity and the extra interest of course.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Archie_Duke
    Archie_Duke Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2018 at 8:13AM
    Options
    No easily accessible branch close to me as I live in deepest Cornwall, so I hope they do issue an online R.S. Exeter is my closest.

I’m flying on holiday from Bristol on Sunday though so perhaps an appointment there, plus one for my partner, to set one up next weekend is a solution. I already have a First Direct and a Nationwide RS, she does not have any.

When you say @EachPenny fully funded do you mean that with Virgin Money RS you pay pay in the full annual deposit at the beginning? Or just that you paid the maximum for Month 1?

@EahPenny > Ignore my question, I just read the information summary on the website. It’s a maximum of £250 p.c.m. So a regular Saver
    Arch
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m flying on holiday from Bristol on Sunday though so perhaps an appointment there, plus one for my partner, to set one up next weekend is a solution. I already have a First Direct and a Nationwide RS, she does not have any.

Isn't it easier/better for your partner to get a Nationwide and/or FD regular saver?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you say @EachPenny fully funded do you mean that with Virgin Money RS you pay pay in the full annual deposit at the beginning? Or just that you paid the maximum for Month 1?

@EahPenny > Ignore my question, I just read the information summary on the website. It!!!8217;s a maximum of £250 p.c.m. So a regular Saver
    Yes, to confirm, I meant fully funded for the first month. Not all Virgin Money stores handle cash, so opening a new RS account usually (for me) means opening the account then going home to make a FP deposit (or making the first deposit by cheque).

This time I was able to transfer in £250 from my maturing RS 5, so unusually left the store with a fully funded new account.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2018 at 11:54AM
    Options
    sjp999 wrote: »
    ...... - all today's and tomorrow's appointments were booked much to the chagrin of a counter customer who was trying her damndest to sort it without returning next week.
    Lucky residents of Croydon! Our local Virgin Money branch have always refused to open accounts to walk-in customers and, in my experience, appointments can be two or even three weeks in advance; when I made my appointment this morning there was nothing until the week after next. And trying to make an appointment by phone at our branch is hopeless - it's always an answering machine and I've yet to ever get a response (a request for an appointment made midday yesterday still hasn't triggered a call-back). They're a cheery enough bunch but sadly lacking in resources.

As to the withdrawal of Issue 12 of the online Virgin Money Regular E-Saver, that's probably because Virgin Money don't want complaints from unhappy customers who open the account at 2.25% and discover that the Store version is paying more interest. My *guess* is that Issue 13 will appear in a week or two at 3%. VM have been issueing new versions every two months - there'd be a substantial hole in their funds intake for the next 12 months if nothing appears. If they have no appetite for further funds, why increase the interest rate on the Store version?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry. I was posting b0ll0x. :)
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Not all Virgin Money stores handle cash,
    A bit like a supermarket that doesn't sell food then?

It does seem an extremely odd concept!
  • acc
    acc Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    As to the withdrawal of Issue 12 of the online Virgin Money Regular E-Saver, that's probably because Virgin Money don't want complaints from unhappy customers who open the account at 2.25% and discover that the Store version is paying more interest.
    Would customers who opened earlier issues at 2.25% be happy with Virgin Money if they increase the rate to 2.5% or unhappy that the increase is not to 3%?
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would someone mind letting me know what documentation you need to open a VM regular saver account in store? I've only ever opened them online.

I've got bank statements from my current account and a passport which is due to expire in a couple of weeks (waiting for post-brexit to renew).
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure