We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

brother committed ebay fraud

Options

Comments

• Samsung_Note2
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    To answer the question - what will happen is that eBay will charge Paypal account the £900 and refund the buyer. Paypal will then attempt to recover that amount via the users linked bank account (ie pull a £900 DD) or debit card. With no funds in the bank this will fail. The bank may or may not charge for the failed attempt - depends on what account he has got etc.

In any case, Paypal (like any financial institution) will recover the funds from your brother in the usual way starting with emails/letters requesting the payment all the way up to court action and bailiffs.

Whilst your mostly likely correct..I just don't see how PayPal can simply take one persons word for it.

Other wise honest sellers would be getting ripped off for thousands every day, I know they simply refund on smaller ££ items but simply don't see how they could for large amounts.

Id say the onus would be on the buyer to prove they didn't receive.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love how incredibly concerned the OP is (not!) for the poor sod that was conned out of £900 by his/her scumbag brother.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst your mostly likely correct..I just don't see how PayPal can simply take one persons word for it.
    Id say the onus would be on the buyer to prove they didn't receive.
    Given the buyer is now in possession of the seller's old phone this would be a trivial exercise to complete.
    Bridges80 wrote: »
    He sent a mobile phone box with his old phone in and a tracking number. Can the police and ebay prove that he didn't send the real phone?
    :wall:

Being charged by his bank should be the least of his problems, being charged by the Police would be a more just outcome.

Returning the money immediately is the only way the OP's brother can make this better.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Given the buyer is now in possession of the seller's old phone this would be a trivial exercise to complete.

:wall:

Being charged by his bank should be the least of his problems, being charged by the Police would be a more just outcome.

Returning the money immediately is the only way the OP's brother can make this better.

Yeah you've quoted me..I wasn't quoting what the OP had done, it was a general statement referring to your average Ebayer and not a crook.

Not really bothered about a crook. He or his brother will get what's coming, its normally how things work out.

Im more concerned as there's an awful lot of decent honest eBay sellers/buyers. From people have said, PayPal will find in buyers favour regardless of proof.?
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I once got scammed on eBay - my own fault really - a little bit naive, but as the person who genuinely sold a phone I was close to losing out - because I had logged with fraud agency PayPal refunded me the £500 or so
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My brother ripped someone off on ebay for £900. He sold an I phone which he didn't own. He drew the money out, will paypal taking the money out of his bank even though he's got nothing in leaving him with bank charges or will it deduct from his paypal balance?

He sent a mobile phone box with his old phone in and a tracking number.

Can the police and ebay prove that he didn't send the real phone?

He doesn't want paypal or ebay trying to take money out of his bank account which has nothing in (he doesn't work) and be charged fees for every time they try taking money out of his account.

I know they charge around £30 pound if they try taking money from his bank account if there's nothing in.

Will they do this? Try taking money from his bank or just deduct it from his paypal balance?

Will he get charged every time they try taking money out of his account if there's nothing in or will it just minus his paypal account?

Just in case.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    My brother ripped someone off on ebay for £900. He sold an I phone which he didn't own. He drew the money out, will paypal taking the money out of his bank even though he's got nothing in leaving him with bank charges or will it deduct from his paypal balance?

He sent a mobile phone box with his old phone in and a tracking number.

Can the police and ebay prove that he didn't send the real phone?

Yes.

He doesn't want paypal or ebay trying to take money out of his bank account which has nothing in (he doesn't work) and be charged fees for every time they try taking money out of his account.

I know they charge around £30 pound if they try taking money from his bank account if there's nothing in.

Will they do this? Try taking money from his bank or just deduct it from his paypal balance?

Let's hope so.

Will he get charged every time they try taking money out of his account if there's nothing in or will it just minus his paypal account?

Let's hope that happens too.

OP please do update this thread when the police come knocking for your brother. It's the middle of winter and we could all do with cheering up.

Meanwhile, have a lovely day.

:D
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    Let's hope that happens too.

OP please do update this thread when the police come knocking for your brother. It's the middle of winter and we could all do with cheering up.

Meanwhile, have a lovely day.

:D

Im curious...you say Yes the police can prove he didn't send the phone.

Can you explain how they would do that, as far as im aware there isn't a EBay Csi in production just yet.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    In reality this is what will happen...

The fraudster will cancel direct debit and visa debit or cash card with bank, Paypal therefore cannot charge the sources to recover the funds, The paypal account goes minus £900, Paypal then calls the user several times send a few letters, It then gets sent to debt collect, Who ultimately won't do anything accept send letters all the time....

Police likely won't get involved unless the buyer goes to the police and report and has evidence, Paypal might not even refund the buyer because they have no proof that the phone sent wasn't what was ordered, So ultimately the fraudster may well win here. Sadly this is what the world has become.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    In reality this is what will happen...

The fraudster will cancel direct debit and visa debit or cash card with bank, Paypal therefore cannot charge the sources to recover the funds, The paypal account goes minus £900, Paypal then calls the user several times send a few letters, It then gets sent to debt collect, Who ultimately won't do anything accept send letters all the time....

Police likely won't get involved unless the buyer goes to the police and report and has evidence, Paypal might not even refund the buyer because they have no proof that the phone sent wasn't what was ordered, So ultimately the fraudster may well win here. Sadly this is what the world has become.
    You forgot to mention that the fraudster will get a 1st party fraud marker on CIFAS, which will do away with his prospects of getting any credit of any sort for the next 6 years. It might also lead to the closure of his existing banking and money transfer facilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport