🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

brother committed ebay fraud

Options
124»

Comments

• Samsung_Note2
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    Why the hell do you think that he should get off without penalty. If I were the recipient, I would want him to be arrested and charged.

Quite right as as well.

But were going around in circles as people say police will get involved,but how when it boils down to one persons word against another.

Very poor system and i use Ebay an awful lot...thankfully very little issues,but this does beg the question how safe Paypal really is and what rights do both parties have.

Has anyone actually bothered to call paypal and put the question to them...?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Gotta love it.

One says one thing, the other says the opposite, everyone says that THEY are the one who is 100% correct and since this is the internet ... nobody budges.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Gotta love it.

One says one thing, the other says the opposite, everyone says that THEY are the one who is 100% correct and since this is the internet ... nobody budges.

The only person who is correct is the Original poster....everyone else posting is just opinion.

Sadly just like Bum holes...everyone has one...lol
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2018 at 12:28AM
    Options
    Well how about you explain how the Police would investigate one mans word against another...or is that just to much effort compared to a poor sarcastic answer.

The answer is already in the OP. No point going into detail and making it easier for the next person who wants to rip some innocent person off.

This is moneysavingexpert.com, not howtogetawaywithfraudexpert.com.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    It is a sad and well publicised fact that eBay sides with the buyer

If the buyer raises an 'item not as described' case then eBay immediately put a Hold on the funds sending the [STRIKE]buyers[/STRIKE] vendors PayPal account into a negative balance if they have already withdrawn the cash (if they haven't withdrawn the cash from PayPal then it is frozen)

almost no matter what the seller does including sending pictures of tje item being wrapped etc etc eBay will side with the buyer

There it is so now you know

If we're gonna do - 'just so you know' pomp, better get the typo(?) corrected..;)
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As mentioned, ebay tends to side with the buyer. For example, if you sent an item and foolishly didn't make it Signed For and retain proof of posting, the buyer can simply claim it didn't arrive and get a near-immediate refund... I discovered that the hard way after I unwittingly donated a phone to an Australian gentleman for free (plus shipping).

Disputes like the item received differing significantly from the description go through a mediation team who consider evidence from both sides. I have a personal experience of this too - sent off a pricey electrical item, on receipt the customer immediately started asking for a discount on account of multiple invented hairline scratches and dirt (which conveniently weren't able to be captured on any digital camera she owned). After days of fruitless back-and-forth I escalated it to the disputes team who sided with me and I agreed to give her a full refund on return, which she grudgingly did. A more petty man than I would have mailed her a rotten fish once a month for the next year, but rest assured I didn't.

Anyway, I forsee OP's brother having their ebay and PayPal accounts suspended, any PayPal funds frozen, and any linked bank accounts charged for the shortfall, if he hasn't yet cancelled the direct debit (and let's be honest, this brother doesn't sound like the sharpest cookie in the jar). Here's hoping he has a change of heart, refunds the buyer, and is first in line at the Job Centre tomorrow morning. We can but hope.
    : )
  • ST-User
    ST-User Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both Ebay and Paypal rip off sellers with huge amounts for they services. Maybe they could do in exchange that they receive the item in their posting centre, check that it is as described, and then send it out to the buyer. No more bricks instead of cameras and no more false NAD claims either...
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes thank you for pointing that out it should of course be the sellers account thank you for that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport