PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought new knickers a couple of weeks ago but am going to take them back to change them. I forgot to check before purchase, they are the ones with seams at the sides. I've spent a good while wearing out the existing ones I have like that, I think I maybe have 3 pairs left. I don't want to add new ones in in a style I don't like.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :o Well, no kondoing (or not much kondo-ing) took place in the two days and three nights I spent at the parental homestead.

The 'rents turned out a few pairs of worn-out trews which were laundered and added to a rag-bag which is with the chazzer as of this afto. I helped by decluttering some food and petting Wild Thing, who is living outdoors as she does for three-quarters of the year. She likes to come up to people for a fuss and ended up curled up beside us on her own white plastic garden chair, purring blissfully. She's almost too cute to live, frankly.

I am now back at my flat, got in just before 5 pm, having arrived in the city not a 5 min walk away at 9 am. Can't really say why, as it impacts on the privacy of others, but I was helping out in two different shops with two different sets of crises. My karma balance must be well in the black, and I'm exhausted. No lottie for me, tonight.

Have two pieces of important post which I have vowed to file before bedtime, and the need to go out to the supermarket to restock on grub; I live mainly on fresh foods and they don't keep for long, so I shop every 1-2 days.

Sorry nothing amusing happened at the 'rents, I do try for you, but it was a very quiet visit. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you had a pretty much perfect bank holiday weekend GQ!
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like just what you needed GQ. When I look back, the quiet visits to my Mum are treasured memories. You're working, so the chance of down time (and good feeding) with family is special.

And it also sounds like you've been a friend in times of need, times two. I hope you can enjoy a relaxing evening, you've earned it :A
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From me too, GQ - the most important thing is you had a good time with your mum and dad. Sorry you got exhausted the moment you stepped back into your own city, though :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Slinky
    Options
    Have spent some time this afternoon shredding some of the paperwork from the loft. A lot of it was pensions paperwork for a pension I've subsequently transferred to another provider, so most of it went. Found the documents relating to when I contracted out of and back into SERPS. I don't know how significant this is but I've put it to one side and filed with other pensions stuff. I knew I'd contracted out and couldn't remember when/if I'd contracted back in.

Strangely I came across some paperwork relating to a car accident my OH had 17 years ago. I knew which street the person who hit him lived in, but not the number. Found that and mentally identified it as a house that went up for sale yesterday. It would appear from Rightmove that it was the same owner. How odd.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions about the plastic tableloth. Unfortunately it's not robust enough plastic to be sewn but I'll fold it up - might use it for shelf/drawer liners. If it doesn't find a use in a couple of weeks it's out!
    Maddiemay - thank you for reminding me that I have a ring binder with course info on computers from 20 years ago ........that I've never looked at! All in the recycle bin. Will ask DS1 if he wants the binder otherwise it will go on Freecycle. Kondoed 3 carrier bags of apples to he neighbours - still lots on the tree though.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • katiepants
    Options
    Oh dear. I've been working so hard over the last 3 months, doing a little bit of decluttering/tidying/cleaning/ sorting every morning before I go to work. My stuff is almost completely done, but I feel very demorolised because 'my' things are only a tiny percentage of things in the house.

My OH is definitely not on board, and it seems to be upsetting him that I'm getting rid of stuff. I tried to explain to him that it's letting me focus on the important things more, he got very offended, and thinks I was implying that his things don't matter.

It just seems so very futile, and I still feel weighed down by things that aren't mine...
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, the binders of course notes... I've recycled 10" of course notes and the associated 3 folders have come to work to save buying any more for the meantime. And this has provided a handy shelf to store a box. :D
    Of course, the contents of that box need sorting but one bite at a time, eh? :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Slinky
    Options
    Yay, the single duvet, the sleeping bag and a bag of clothes hangers went to the re-use centre this morning. Cat is slightly peeved, she had taken to sleeping on the sleeping bag....
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family